single, rigid _and_ fixed ...... this could get ugly!

Clydesdalemtb

Guest
after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up some
lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-) motioned
towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's he hasn't
ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to try one." He
said, "Take it, it's yours."

http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

> after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
> some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
> covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
> motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
> he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
> try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
>

> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

it don't have knobs!!! get some offroad rubber on that thing!

> after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
> some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
> covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
> motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
> he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
> try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
>

> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

Jeez, Travis'll be getting all KINDS of stuff soon...{pause}...once you're DEAD!!!

Bill "ran into a couple of guys on uni's (very rocky terrain) a few weeks ago" S.

James Connell wrote:
> ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
>> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg
> it don't have knobs!!! get some offroad rubber on that thing!

The knobbies on my daughters old bike just happen to be 20x1.75.... imagine THAT!-)

But I figured it would be best to keep the semi-slick on and stick to the town park's track, till I
learned how to ride the thing.

Sorni wrote:
> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg
> Jeez, Travis'll be getting all KINDS of stuff soon...{pause}...once you're DEAD!!!

I'm not ready to be riding Hedghog Ledge Trail, JUST yet. I'll probably stick to Hayes Farm Trail
and the top (easy) half of Little Bear for _quite_ some time. This is NOT easy to ride !!!!!

> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
> > some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn
> > all covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
> > motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my
> > son's he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always
> > wanted to try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
> >

> > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg
> >

> Jeez, Travis'll be getting all KINDS of stuff soon...{pause}...once you're DEAD!!!
>
> Bill "ran into a couple of guys on uni's (very rocky terrain) a few weeks ago" S.

now, all you need to do is find some technical terrain and get the wifey to shoot some video of the
first ride ;-)

if nothing else, one of these things should improve your balance. should be interesting when you
come to a steep hill though. either good bye knees, or good bye skin. not that you really need
either. ;-)
--
~Travis

> after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
> some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
> covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
> motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
> he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
> try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
>

> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

And it's a good thing you're already "fixed."

My brother used to ride one of those when we were kids. I was always amazed watching him, but then
he was the wheelie king on the 10 speed too.
--
Slacker

> after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
> some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
> covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
> motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
> he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
> try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
>

> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

There's the wind up, the pitch and....it's over the wall! :)

You had my head filled with visions of mint-condition 1960's Cinelli-and-Campy track bikes. But
this is great!

Barry

> James Connell wrote:
> > ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
> >> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg
> > it don't have knobs!!! get some offroad rubber on that thing!
>
> The knobbies on my daughters old bike just happen to be 20x1.75.... imagine THAT!-)
>
> But I figured it would be best to keep the semi-slick on and stick to the town park's track, till
> I learned how to ride the thing.

The day I saw two unicyclists riding gnarly singletrack in NorCal, I almost hung up my bike.
Incredible. One was on a 20", and one on a 24" wheel. Absolutely amazing. I couldn't get over it.

-Barry

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
> some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
> covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
> motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
> he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
> try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
>

> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

Oh hell!

Shaun aRe - could you get a 296 on that?!?!?