single, rigid _and_ fixed ...... this could get ugly!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Clydesdalemtb, May 10, 2003.

  1. after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up some
    lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
    covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-) motioned
    towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's he hasn't
    ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to try one." He
    said, "Take it, it's yours."

    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

    Tags:

  2. ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

    > after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
    > some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
    > covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
    > motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
    > he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
    > try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
    >

    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

    it don't have knobs!!! get some offroad rubber on that thing!

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
    > some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
    > covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
    > motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
    > he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
    > try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
    >

    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

    Jeez, Travis'll be getting all KINDS of stuff soon...{pause}...once you're DEAD!!!

    Bill "ran into a couple of guys on uni's (very rocky terrain) a few weeks ago" S.

  4. James Connell wrote:
    > ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    >> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg
    > it don't have knobs!!! get some offroad rubber on that thing!

    The knobbies on my daughters old bike just happen to be 20x1.75.... imagine THAT!-)

    But I figured it would be best to keep the semi-slick on and stick to the town park's track, till I
    learned how to ride the thing.

  5. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

  6. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

  7. Sorni wrote:
    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg
    > Jeez, Travis'll be getting all KINDS of stuff soon...{pause}...once you're DEAD!!!

    I'm not ready to be riding Hedghog Ledge Trail, JUST yet. I'll probably stick to Hayes Farm Trail
    and the top (easy) half of Little Bear for _quite_ some time. This is NOT easy to ride !!!!!

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
    > > some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn
    > > all covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
    > > motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my
    > > son's he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always
    > > wanted to try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
    > >

    > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg
    > >

    > Jeez, Travis'll be getting all KINDS of stuff soon...{pause}...once you're DEAD!!!
    >
    > Bill "ran into a couple of guys on uni's (very rocky terrain) a few weeks ago" S.

    now, all you need to do is find some technical terrain and get the wifey to shoot some video of the
    first ride ;-)

    if nothing else, one of these things should improve your balance. should be interesting when you
    come to a steep hill though. either good bye knees, or good bye skin. not that you really need
    either. ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

  9. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
    > some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
    > covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
    > motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
    > he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
    > try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
    >

    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

    And it's a good thing you're already "fixed."

    My brother used to ride one of those when we were kids. I was always amazed watching him, but then
    he was the wheelie king on the 10 speed too.
    --
    Slacker

  10. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
    > some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
    > covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
    > motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
    > he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
    > try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
    >

    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

    There's the wind up, the pitch and....it's over the wall! :)

    You had my head filled with visions of mint-condition 1960's Cinelli-and-Campy track bikes. But
    this is great!

    Barry

  11. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > James Connell wrote:
    > > ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    > >> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg
    > > it don't have knobs!!! get some offroad rubber on that thing!
    >
    > The knobbies on my daughters old bike just happen to be 20x1.75.... imagine THAT!-)
    >
    > But I figured it would be best to keep the semi-slick on and stick to the town park's track, till
    > I learned how to ride the thing.

    The day I saw two unicyclists riding gnarly singletrack in NorCal, I almost hung up my bike.
    Incredible. One was on a 20", and one on a 24" wheel. Absolutely amazing. I couldn't get over it.

    -Barry

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > after a satisfying day wrencing on Volvo's (Makaing some side cash ;-) I stopped by to pick up
    > some lumber from a local.... And then I spotted it hanging from one of the rafters of the barn all
    > covered in cobwebs and sawdust. I was enamoured. I causually(or as casually as I could ;-)
    > motioned towards it and asked: "Is that one of your kids'?" The sawyer answered: "It was my son's
    > he hasn't ridden it for years, you know anyhting about it?" I replied "No, but I always wanted to
    > try one." He said, "Take it, it's yours."
    >

    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/SS/1_FIXED.jpg

    Oh hell!

    Shaun aRe - could you get a 296 on that?!?!?

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest