single speed biking

Don't know your health requirements; but, as a former 30 yrs runner
and now 5 years bicycler who has been through a double by-pass, I can
say with some knowledge that exercise and diet are very, very, very
important considerations in my health routine.

My running used to consist of 3 to 5 times per week, minimum, running
3 to 5 miles each run. But poor genes coupled with failing to watch
my diet and some work stress brought on the heart disease despite
having a good healthy outside appearance and the good exercise
routine.

Better diet, and better stress control are now working well with my
single speed cruiser retrobiking everyday about 10 miles average per
day.

On Nov 2, 3:52 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Don't know your health requirements; but, as a former 30 yrs runner
> and now 5 years bicycler who has been through a double by-pass, I can
> say with some knowledge that exercise and diet are very, very, very
> important considerations in my health routine.
>
> My running used to consist of 3 to 5 times per week, minimum, running
> 3 to 5 miles each run. But poor genes coupled with failing to watch
> my diet and some work stress brought on the heart disease despite
> having a good healthy outside appearance and the good exercise
> routine.
>
> Better diet, and better stress control are now working well with my
> single speed cruiser retrobiking everyday about 10 miles average per
> day.

Best wishes to you.

Also, there isn't much you can do on a geared bike that you can't do
on a single speed and there is less to go wrong with a single speed.

Lewis.

*****

On Nov 2, 7:11 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also, there isn't much you can do on a geared bike that you can't do
> on a single speed and there is less to go wrong with a single speed.
>
> Lewis.

It's got to be harder to climb. The more varied the riding conditions
become the less efficiency one must get from a single speed.

On Nov 3, 10:38 am, Jorg Lueke <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 7:11 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Also, there isn't much you can do on a geared bike that you can't do
> > on a single speed and there is less to go wrong with a single speed.

> > Lewis.

> It's got to be harder to climb. The more varied the riding conditions
> become the less efficiency one must get from a single speed.

I think that's right, although I think that in an exercise program
efficiency is not the overriding goal - if things are too easy, you
don't get the workout you need. (Or you have to ride greater and
greater distances...)

>> Also, there isn't much you can do on a geared bike that you can't do
>> on a single speed and there is less to go wrong with a single speed.

You, maybe. But for me, I don't think I could cross the Divide on a
single-speed. Either that or I couldn't take the descent.

See Flann O'Brien's "The Third Policeman" for discussion.

also
http://www.63xc.com/johnward/flano.htm

--
mac the naïf