Sit Bones Rocking On Saddle

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I've posted here before about sit bone pain while riding my new Specialized Roubaix Pro. The saddle is much firmer than the previous saddle on my old bike. I've been trying to ride more frequently to see if that would help but i'm still getting almost bruising on my sit bones. I've tried using chamois creams which have helped. I can actually feel my sit bones rocking on the seat. Has anyone experienced this rocking? I'm a bigger rider 6'0 200 pounds with a large rear if you know what i'm saying. Do I just need a saddle with more padding?

Rocking is usually associated with having the saddle a tad too high, or poor pedalling technique.
As a heavier guy, you just MIGHT need a saddle with a little more padding, to allow the sit bones to sink in a little bit, thereby increasing the contact surface.
There is little-to-no reliable relationship between external butt/hip size and the spacing between your sit bones. Maybe you need another saddle, maybe you don't. Either way, you judge by feel and fit, not by external format.

+1 on the seat being too high.

padding is the enemy, not your friend. More padding may cushion the sit bone area short term, but because you have a larger contact area with the saddle (because your sit bones and surrounding tissue have sunk in) it causes more friction, more trauma and more discomfort.

What you may need is a different size, or a different shape saddle to either lift the tissue off the saddle, or help spread the load out a little.

I would:
A.) lower your saddle and ride for a couple weeks to see if there is any change. If no then:
B.) Go to a good shop and have your sit bones measured to make sure you're using the appropriate size saddle.
C.) if it's the right size and you have a Toupe, you might want to try a more shaped saddle like a Romin. Or vice versa.

Okay, I'm going to lower it a little bit and see what happen. The current saddle is a Romin.