small meals, breakfast and BF%

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ivan, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. ivan

    ivan Guest

    Hello to all.

    I'm trying to lose some fat, reducing cal intake, doing some cardio
    everyday, plus some strenght training too.

    1. Im still new in this, and some of the tips i see most frequently,
    is to eat some small meals, at least 6.
    But what should this meals be?
    Should they be based on low-glycemic, so that keeps me "busy"? This
    way, energy source would be mostly those carbs, and almost none of
    fat?
    Or if i get higher GI, would it burn more fat?
    What's the best way?

    2. What about the breakfast? What should it be made of?

    3. Is there a way to measure my body fat percentage, at home, with
    some precision? I've read about calippers, but is there another way? I
    have found some sites, that have some calculations, inputing some body
    measures, but i need a more precise measure. They give different
    values.

    Thanx.

    Tags:

  2. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Eating many meals will likely make you heavier. You probably have a
    chronic low-level inflammation going on, as well as suppressed
    metabolism. You need to avoid polyunsaturated fatty acids and oxidized
    cholesterol. Also, too much iron, anything with carrageenan, etc. must
    be avoided. In practice, this means you can eat shellfish, dark
    chocolate, whole milk dairy (stay away from homogenized), coconut oil,
    and most fruit and vegetables (berries and tropical fruit are best, and
    a few broccoli florets now and then). Breads/grains are okay in small
    amounts, but no whole grains. Once you get control of the oxidative
    stress your current diet is producing, the inflammation will attenuate,
    and then the hunger will lessen. The key is to eat foods with sugars
    in them with high fat foods. An interesting experiment from a few
    years back showed that this is very satisifying, and you don't have to
    worry about the "glycemic index" because when you eat sugar with fat
    there is no "sugar rush." Keep protein consumption fairly high too, in
    other words, don't go out of your way to avoid protein. Just stay away
    from polyunsaturates and boil foods high in cholesterol (or eat raw if
    possible). Remember that lard, a so-called "saturated fat," is
    actually only 39% saturated and has not antioxidant cover, and so
    should be avoided. Other fats like chicken, turkey, and beef tallow
    are also a problem, so just stick with boiled shellfish. Once in a
    while tuna is okay, if the can says no fat, and be sure that soy is not
    added to it. "White fish" are also okay once a week or so, but with it
    you should probably steam it with lemons on top.
    Read the book Overdosed America and you'll see that all the studies and
    recommendations you hear about in the mainstream media are basically
    the opposite of what the science actually indicates.
    On this type of diet, I raised my HDL from 40 to 63 and the LDL is
    still in the so-called normal range. Also, my blood glucose went from
    94 on a vegan diet to 75 now. A recent MRA showed now signs of
    atherosclerosis at age 39, after being on this diet about 3 years. I
    eat three meals a day, and am never very hungry, so I don't eat a huge
    amount of calories. Last night I made crabmeat newburg (cooked by
    stirring constantly on low-medium in a butter and yogurt sauce, which
    is okay in terms of not oxidizing much, if any, of the lipids).

    Good luck!

    ivan wrote:
    > Hello to all.
    >
    > I'm trying to lose some fat, reducing cal intake, doing some cardio
    > everyday, plus some strenght training too.
    >
    > 1. Im still new in this, and some of the tips i see most

    frequently,
    > is to eat some small meals, at least 6.
    > But what should this meals be?
    > Should they be based on low-glycemic, so that keeps me "busy"? This
    > way, energy source would be mostly those carbs, and almost none of
    > fat?
    > Or if i get higher GI, would it burn more fat?
    > What's the best way?
    >
    > 2. What about the breakfast? What should it be made of?
    >
    > 3. Is there a way to measure my body fat percentage, at home, with
    > some precision? I've read about calippers, but is there another way?

    > have found some sites, that have some calculations, inputing some

    body
    > measures, but i need a more precise measure. They give different
    > values.
    >
    > Thanx.

  3. ivan

    ivan Guest

    On 6 Jan 2005 12:08:36 -0800, "montygram" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Eating many meals will likely make you heavier.

    Humm... i read almost everywere about doing small meals. If I choose
    the right nutrients/food, guess i won't get heavier. I guess I'll eat
    low-GI's so my metabolism gets busy (i guess its like this, im just a
    newbie).

    My problem is, what is the right nutrients in those small meals?

    Thanx for your post, montygram

  4. montygram

    montygram Guest

    It took me over a year to understand why the mainstream advice doesn't
    work, and why the so-called French Paradox is no paradox once you
    understand the role of oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. Did
    you see NBC TV's Dateline tonight? They were talking about how the
    French eat plenty of eggs, butter, cheese, etc., and yet are not fat as
    a people (especially compared to Americans). I'm currently writing a
    book, and if/when it's done, I'll post at least one chapter on this
    newsgroup.

  5. montygram

    montygram Guest

    It took me over a year to understand why the mainstream advice doesn't
    work, and why the so-called French Paradox is no paradox once you
    understand the role of oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. Did
    you see NBC TV's Dateline tonight? They were talking about how the
    French eat plenty of eggs, butter, cheese, etc., and yet are not fat as
    a people (especially compared to Americans). I'm currently writing a
    book, and if/when it's done, I'll post at least one chapter on this
    newsgroup.

  6. ivan

    ivan Guest

    On 9 Jan 2005 20:11:34 -0800, "montygram" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >It took me over a year to understand why the mainstream advice doesn't
    >work, and why the so-called French Paradox is no paradox once you
    >understand the role of oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. Did
    >you see NBC TV's Dateline tonight? They were talking about how the
    >French eat plenty of eggs, butter, cheese, etc., and yet are not fat as
    >a people (especially compared to Americans).

    Nop. I don't watch much tv. But when i do, i mostly watch music,
    sports, or the news on my country's channels (im from Portugal).

    > I'm currently writing a
    >book, and if/when it's done, I'll post at least one chapter on this
    >newsgroup.

    Eheh, good luck with it. :)

    Now about my diet:

    I got start the first of this year, and since then, i guess i lost
    1kg, by just cutting the calories intake plus cardio everyday, plus
    weights. I may have lost more, but gained weight on muscle, just a
    guess.
    Today i started doing High Intensity Interval Training. This will
    help lose some weight, and, will help with sports (I practise karate,
    but got a little break, because of studies).
    Maybe tomorrow i'll buy a caliper and mesure my bf.

    cya