Smelly helmet

Tim

Guest
Hi any tips on washing my helmet, it has a strong smell to it, probably
perspiration.
What should I use, as its a top line Giro helmet, and I don't want to stuff
it up by using some bad chemical.

Thanks heaps for any advice.
timmy

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:50:17 +1000, Tim wrote:

> Hi any tips on washing my helmet, it has a strong smell to it, probably
> perspiration.

I've read that warm water and soap are fine.

> What should I use, as its a top line Giro helmet, and I don't want to stuff
> it up by using some bad chemical.

Are you worried about compromising the integrity of the foam or damaging
that expensive shine on the outside? :)

Tim said:
Hi any tips on washing my helmet, it has a strong smell to it, probably
perspiration.
What should I use, as its a top line Giro helmet, and I don't want to stuff
it up by using some bad chemical.

Thanks heaps for any advice.
timmy

wool mix?? its good for dogs with flea allergies (serious!!) so can it be noxious to styro foam???

warrwych wrote:
> Tim Wrote:
> > Hi any tips on washing my helmet, it has a strong smell to it, probably
> > perspiration.
> > What should I use, as its a top line Giro helmet, and I don't want to
> > stuff
> > it up by using some bad chemical.
> >
> > Thanks heaps for any advice.
> > timmy

> wool mix?? its good for dogs with flea allergies (serious!!) so can it
> be noxious to styro foam???

Does it repel trolls?

Bleve said:
warrwych wrote:
> Tim Wrote:
> > Hi any tips on washing my helmet, it has a strong smell to it, probably
> > perspiration.
> > What should I use, as its a top line Giro helmet, and I don't want to
> > stuff
> > it up by using some bad chemical.
> >
> > Thanks heaps for any advice.
> > timmy

> wool mix?? its good for dogs with flea allergies (serious!!) so can it
> be noxious to styro foam???

Does it repel trolls?

just fleas I think :D

Running hot water, regularly after a ride.
Or chuck it in the swimming pool for a day.
Both work.

PHP:
Tim said:
Hi any tips on washing my helmet, it has a strong smell to it, probably
perspiration.
What should I use, as its a top line Giro helmet, and I don't want to stuff
it up by using some bad chemical.

Thanks heaps for any advice.
timmy
PHP:

I completely got rid of the stale sweat smell in my faithful limar 107 easily.... by spewing in it.

Not deliberately - it was a collateral damage / friendly fire incident with one of those "long days at the cricket, industrial firehose-stength" chunders. Was in the garage at the time - aimed left to miss the car and shot into the baby seat on the back of wifies' hybrid, only to discover thats were I'd put the helmet and gloves the day before.

I have a nice new 909 now.

Monsterman:
>I completely got rid of the stale sweat smell in my faithful limar 107 easily.... by spewing in it.
>I have a nice new 909 now.

Interesting ploy to get a new helmet. I suppose you kept the 107 for
your wife to wear? hehehe

.

Interesting ploy to get a new helmet. I suppose you kept the 107 for
your wife to wear? hehehe[/QUOTE]

sold it to my brother:D

Wear bandannas under the helmet. My helmets require far less frequent
washing since I started doing that. As for the washing of the helmets, I
just use laundry detergent in the laundry tub.

news:[email protected]...

Tim wrote:
> Hi any tips on washing my helmet, it has a strong smell to it, probably
> perspiration.
> What should I use, as its a top line Giro helmet, and I don't want to stuff
> it up by using some bad chemical.
>
> Thanks heaps for any advice.
> timmy

Try pulling out and washing the helmet pads first, they're the bits that
get sweaty and smelly. If your helmet has non-removable pads (some do),
you might want to look for a helmet that does have removables.
Cheers,
Ray

Nick Payne said:
Wear bandannas under the helmet. My helmets require far less frequent
washing since I started doing that. As for the washing of the helmets, I
just use laundry detergent in the laundry tub.

God.. people wash their helmets!!!!
I have had mine for about 6 years and use it almost daily and it doesnt smell. My little pin head must be fragrance free.

--
Frank
[email protected]
"Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi any tips on washing my helmet, it has a strong smell to it, probably
> perspiration.
> What should I use, as its a top line Giro helmet, and I don't want to

stuff
> it up by using some bad chemical.
>
> Thanks heaps for any advice.
> timmy

Simple Green - use a spray bottle to spray the inside of your helmet then
take it in the shower with you and rinse it out. Even if there's a tiny bit
of residual Simple Green left it won't do any harm. As well, if you use
soap, laundry detergent, etc., a slight residue will sting your eyes when
you sweat and it runs. Simple Green residue doesn't sting any more than
plain old sweat.

Worked for me for quite a while...

Frank

coowoowoo said:
Nick Payne said:
Wear bandannas under the helmet. My helmets require far less frequent
washing since I started doing that. As for the washing of the helmets, I
just use laundry detergent in the laundry tub.

God.. people wash their helmets!!!!
I have had mine for about 6 years and use it almost daily and it doesnt smell. My little pin head must be fragrance free.
thank god. I was starting to think it was just me..... NEVER washed any type of bike helmet... I guess maybe because the smell builds up gradually I have become accustomed to it :)

"Plodder" <[email protected] (remove DAKS to reply)> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

<snip>

> As well, if you use soap, laundry detergent, etc., a slight residue will
> sting your eyes when you sweat and it runs. Simple Green residue
> doesn't sting any more than plain old sweat.

That's why I use hair shampoo. I have never washed my MTB helmet, I have
my motorbike helmet

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

same as for smelly shoes isn't it - vanilla fridge wipe?