So after three stages who has the best shot at the win

hilljunkie

Sep 27, 2004
Just wondering what everyone thought about the top contenders prospects. Looks to me like a local is going to bring home the win but could be some surprises coming once and the mountain and time trials begin.

As I allready said in an other thread, T. Dekker could be a big surprise in the time trials...possibly winning them. For overall I go with Basso...Simoni is not same level and I get the feeling Cunego wants to be 100% at le tour, to compare him with Armstrong. Just my 2 cents;)

hilljunkie said:
Also I'm sure I left a few names off the list so feel free to mention them.

Cheers

Previous stages didn`t show almost nothing about GC contenders. My shot is Simoni..I think he took it very seriously after last year`s defeat!

I voted for Cunego, he seems to be there or there about everyday so far. But the Simoni issue is far from clear.

Did you notice that his voting bar was pink? A message from the gods perchance?

My choice is Gilberto Simoni. I don't think he liked it very much that Cunego beat him last year. He's not doing the Tour, so I think when the Giro hits the mountains he'll have something to prove to the cycling world. My darkhorse would be Paolo Savoldelli.

Chris_E said:
I voted for Cunego, he seems to be there or there about everyday so far. But the Simoni issue is far from clear.

Did you notice that his voting bar was pink? A message from the gods perchance?

The first few stages really don't mean much for GC. But I will say that of the GC riders, Cunego is easily the hungiest. (stage 7 could be win for him.) I'm not sure I can believe that he will sacrifice himself to pacing Simoni if the going gets tough. And I wouldn't want him to. If Cunego can win, I say forget a whiner like Simoni.

Personally, I'd like to see Basso and Cunego fight out the mountains. I think Basso might be able to edge him, but I'm not sure. Cunego is big, big talent.

tcklyde said:
Personally, I'd like to see Basso and Cunego fight out the mountains. I think Basso might be able to edge him, but I'm not sure. Cunego is big, big talent.

It will be Basso in the Maglia Rosa in the end. Cunego is overhyped, I think. He may have gone too hard, too young. He's having a hard time of it this year, for sure. I don't think he will beat Karpets in the Giro either.

Virenque said:
I think Basso and Savoldelli first and second. That`s almost for sure..

I think so too. I'm not sure who it will be, but I'm pretty sure it will be Basso. Remember that Savoldelli did win the Giro before, 2 years ago I think. We have short memories when everyone keeps talking about Cunego. I think it will be a close tug of war between these two the whole way.

If there wouldn`t be another ITT, I wouldn`t be so sure, but Basso and Savoldelli are incomparable to e.g. Simoni. Bruseghin did as good ITT as Savoldelli, but I think he`s not able to cmpete them in mountains (he was almost 3 mins behind the day before yesterday).

Well it looks like Savoldelli could surpirse. Anyone think he can beat basso or is he destined for a lower podium finish?

I don't think so......youre forgetting the team of basso. He has a very good team versus Delli with no team, no danielson to support him in the mountains for example. So it's Basso who wins. However I do suspect fireworks from Lampre......that is the team were the danger comes from. Cunego has to work for Simoni and they can play a big teamcard........we'll see exiting 2 days coming:)

gntlmn said:
I think so too. I'm not sure who it will be, but I'm pretty sure it will be Basso. Remember that Savoldelli did win the Giro before, 2 years ago I think. We have short memories when everyone keeps talking about Cunego. I think it will be a close tug of war between these two the whole way.

hilljunkie said:
Well it looks like Savoldelli could surpirse. Anyone think he can beat basso or is he destined for a lower podium finish?
I think Savoldelli has already surprised us. Whatever the Discovery Team training regime is, it works for all who join!

In any event, I think that Savoldelli is not quite as strong as Basso in the hills, and more or less equivalent in the TT-ing, and without a team dedicated to helping him win the Giro (a la CSC). I think Basso will win, and the rest of the podium will be Simoni and Savoldelli. Now let's see if I will get it wrong! :rolleyes:

Basso disappointed today. It seems that one mountain stage wasn`t enough for predicting about final general classification.

I'm seriously surprised.........I really thought he had the form of last years tour......but this is an exiting scenario at least. Cycling is full of suprises:D

Virenque said:
Basso disappointed today. It seems that one mountain stage wasn`t enough for predicting about final general classification.

I`m surprised too! Two days before he was the strongest, but today he lost almost a minute!:confused:

Virenque said:
I`m surprised too! Two days before he was the strongest, but today he lost almost a minute!:confused:

I watched that carefully though today on OLN. He was riding pretty strongly the whole way until about 6 km from the end, when Savoldelli finally pulled away. He may have been calculating his strength and recovery, considering his stomach troubles. It is a little confusing. If he recovers, I'd say he will win in the end. If he doesn't, then even his team will not help him to bridge the gap that might be opened tomorrow. I'm thinking Basso was thinking ahead to Sunday and not wanting to blow his chance to recover for that difficult stage. I think that's why he didn't respond for the last few km of today's stage. He'll need to do everything right tonight to recover. I wonder if they're allowing IV's on the Giro. Anybody know?

He was very cool on Passo Erbe, but just before the last climb, when camera showed him, he wasn`t OK anymore, even on flat.
What`s IV? I only know that`s roman number 4!:D

Stage 14 - Basso 42 minutes back... ouch!
Gutsy to continue to the finish when you are clearly unwell but not sure as to the wisdom of it.