So young, so style conscious

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Graham Glen, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. Graham Glen

    Graham Glen Guest

    This evening my son (7) invited me to his class assembly on Friday morning.

    "That sounds good", I said, "Can I wear my tights to go straight to work afterwards?"

    "No daddy" he said, crestfallen. Then a pause "But you could wear jeans over the top"

    Oh dear.
    --
    Graham Glen

    Tags:

  2. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Graham Glen wrote:
    > This evening my son (7) invited me to his class assembly on Friday morning.
    >
    > "That sounds good", I said, "Can I wear my tights to go straight to work afterwards?"
    >
    > "No daddy" he said, crestfallen. Then a pause "But you could wear jeans over the top"
    >
    > Oh dear.

    I currently drop my daughters off at school on my drive to work and have been thinking of riding
    into work come spring. I was told very strictly that I was not to wear visable cycling kit in the
    school yard.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  3. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I currently drop my daughters off at school on my drive to work and have been thinking of riding
    > into work come spring. I was told very strictly that I was not to wear visable cycling kit in the
    > school yard.

    My daughter is only 19 months, so is delighted by anything brightly coloured - cycling kit included.

    When she's older I'm sure she wil be mortified at much of what I wear and
    do. But surely this is an essential part of fatherhood?

    Wear that kit with pride!

    Toby

  4. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    >>When she's older I'm sure she wil be mortified at much of what I wear and do. But surely this is
    >>an essential part of fatherhood?
    >>
    >>Wear that kit with pride!
    >>

    > Absolutely! It is part of the job description of a parent to embarrass older offspring!

    Perhaps the original poster should strike a bargain: Let me wear my cycling kit, or I'll come and
    dance at the end of term disco!

    Toby

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > Absolutely! It is part of the job description of a parent to embarrass older offspring!

    My old shooting instructor went to his son's passing-out parade at the Royal Signals training
    school. He was striding along purposefully in his best off-duty soldier impression (he was
    ex-forces) when a Warrant Officer appeared from behind a lamp-post[1] and said "Parents this
    way, sir."

    On being asked how he'd been clocked for a parent, the WO replied "British Standard Parent, sir -
    Marks & Spencer trousers, shirt and cardigan."

    I now make very sure to buy my clothes from John Lewis :)

    [1] All NCOs can hide behind any object with any dimension exceeding 3"

    --
    Guy
    ===

  6. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    TB> "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >> I currently drop my daughters off at school on my drive to work and have been thinking of riding
    >> into work come spring. I was told very strictly that I was not to wear visable cycling kit in
    >> the school yard.

    TB> My daughter is only 19 months, so is delighted by anything brightly coloured - cycling kit
    TB> included.

    TB> When she's older I'm sure she wil be mortified at much of what I wear and do. But surely this
    TB> is an essential part of fatherhood?

    TB> Wear that kit with pride!

    Some of my kids' friends find my lycra-clad legs to be a great source of amusement. Probably so do
    other people, but kids have no qualms about expressing their opinions :)

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    My Mum came to visit her granddaughter on her first birthday today. When I got home from work,
    she commented that the worrying thing was that Jenny sees me in "all that clobber" and thinks
    it's normal.

    Thomas Paine

  8. "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    > >>When she's older I'm sure she wil be mortified at much of what I wear and do. But surely this is
    > >>an essential part of fatherhood?
    > >>
    > >>Wear that kit with pride!
    > >>

    > > Absolutely! It is part of the job description of a parent to embarrass older offspring!
    >
    > Perhaps the original poster should strike a bargain: Let me wear my
    cycling
    > kit, or I'll come and dance at the end of term disco!

    I got in from a training ride on Sunday and one of my 7 year old sons friends was round - he took a
    good look at my tights, micro fleece and windproof gillet and siad "have you been diving?"

    It's all quite 'figure hugging' and has the look of a wetsuit.

    Russ

  9. Matsav

    Matsav Guest

    > [1] All NCOs can hide behind any object with any dimension exceeding
    3"

    NCO Instructor at Sandhurst to his charges:

    "Now, as you are all Officer Cadets, I wil call you Sir or Ma'am. You will ALSO call ME Sir. The
    difference is, YOU will mean it." :)

    --
    MatSav

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    A former Officer Cadet writes: been there, done that :)

    --
    Guy
    ===