So young, so style conscious

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Graham Glen, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham Glen

Graham Glen Guest

This evening my son (7) invited me to his class assembly on Friday morning.

"That sounds good", I said, "Can I wear my tights to go straight to work afterwards?"

"No daddy" he said, crestfallen. Then a pause "But you could wear jeans over the top"

Oh dear.
    --
    Graham Glen

Tags:

2. Andymorris

Andymorris Guest

Graham Glen wrote:
    > This evening my son (7) invited me to his class assembly on Friday morning.
    >
    > "That sounds good", I said, "Can I wear my tights to go straight to work afterwards?"
    >
    > "No daddy" he said, crestfallen. Then a pause "But you could wear jeans over the top"
    >
    > Oh dear.

I currently drop my daughters off at school on my drive to work and have been thinking of riding
    into work come spring. I was told very strictly that I was not to wear visable cycling kit in the
    school yard.

--
    Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

3. Toby Barrett

Toby Barrett Guest

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I currently drop my daughters off at school on my drive to work and have been thinking of riding
    > into work come spring. I was told very strictly that I was not to wear visable cycling kit in the
    > school yard.

My daughter is only 19 months, so is delighted by anything brightly coloured - cycling kit included.

When she's older I'm sure she wil be mortified at much of what I wear and
    do. But surely this is an essential part of fatherhood?

Wear that kit with pride!

Toby

4. Toby Barrett

Toby Barrett Guest

[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    >>When she's older I'm sure she wil be mortified at much of what I wear and do. But surely this is
    >>an essential part of fatherhood?
    >>
    >>Wear that kit with pride!
    >>
    >
    > Absolutely! It is part of the job description of a parent to embarrass older offspring!

Perhaps the original poster should strike a bargain: Let me wear my cycling kit, or I'll come and
    dance at the end of term disco!

Toby

5. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

> Absolutely! It is part of the job description of a parent to embarrass older offspring!

My old shooting instructor went to his son's passing-out parade at the Royal Signals training
    school. He was striding along purposefully in his best off-duty soldier impression (he was
    ex-forces) when a Warrant Officer appeared from behind a lamp-post[1] and said "Parents this
    way, sir."

On being asked how he'd been clocked for a parent, the WO replied "British Standard Parent, sir -
    Marks & Spencer trousers, shirt and cardigan."

I now make very sure to buy my clothes from John Lewis :)

[1] All NCOs can hide behind any object with any dimension exceeding 3"

--
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

6. Paul Rudin

Paul Rudin Guest

>>>>> "TB" == Toby Barrett <[email protected]> writes:

TB> "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >> I currently drop my daughters off at school on my drive to work and have been thinking of riding
    >> into work come spring. I was told very strictly that I was not to wear visable cycling kit in
    >> the school yard.

TB> My daughter is only 19 months, so is delighted by anything brightly coloured - cycling kit
    TB> included.

TB> When she's older I'm sure she wil be mortified at much of what I wear and do. But surely this
    TB> is an essential part of fatherhood?

TB> Wear that kit with pride!

Some of my kids' friends find my lycra-clad legs to be a great source of amusement. Probably so do
    other people, but kids have no qualms about expressing their opinions :)

7. Danny Colyer

Danny Colyer Guest

My Mum came to visit her granddaughter on her first birthday today. When I got home from work,
    she commented that the worrying thing was that Jenny sees me in "all that clobber" and thinks
    it's normal.

--
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

8. "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    > >>When she's older I'm sure she wil be mortified at much of what I wear and do. But surely this is
    > >>an essential part of fatherhood?
    > >>
    > >>Wear that kit with pride!
    > >>
    > >
    > > Absolutely! It is part of the job description of a parent to embarrass older offspring!
    >
    > Perhaps the original poster should strike a bargain: Let me wear my
    cycling
    > kit, or I'll come and dance at the end of term disco!

I got in from a training ride on Sunday and one of my 7 year old sons friends was round - he took a
    good look at my tights, micro fleece and windproof gillet and siad "have you been diving?"

It's all quite 'figure hugging' and has the look of a wetsuit.

Russ

9. Matsav

Matsav Guest

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > [1] All NCOs can hide behind any object with any dimension exceeding
    3"
    >

NCO Instructor at Sandhurst to his charges:

"Now, as you are all Officer Cadets, I wil call you Sir or Ma'am. You will ALSO call ME Sir. The
    difference is, YOU will mean it." :)

--
    MatSav

10. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

MatSav wrote:

> "Now, as you are all Officer Cadets, I wil call you Sir or Ma'am. You will ALSO call ME Sir. The
    > difference is, YOU will mean it." :)

A former Officer Cadet writes: been there, done that :)

--
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.