Socks or no Socks

Chris Cannon

Apr 18, 2006
How many of you wear socks when you are riding? Do you find that they make your feet sweet more?

If you don't wear them do you rub the back of your heal raw?

Always wear a thin sock, keeps the shoes from getting too stanky. Now in my cowboy boots it's always commando.

Can't say i ever tried to ride without socks, I would think the negatives of ridding without socks out way sweaty feet. I do have a problem with sock seams occasionally and then wear them inside out and some of the mountain bike socks are to thick and give me hot foot syndrome.

ewww.. the thought of the smell of my feet without socks.. too much.. it would probably knock the entire TDF peleton over :D

zoepup said:
ewww.. the thought of the smell of my feet without socks.. too much.. it would probably knock the entire TDF peleton over :D
well then, that would be to your advantage eh?:rolleyes: ...

for me- no socks. unless its cold out.

but understand, i'm in south florida, and it do gets plenty warm.

i think the opposite is true- if you've any mesh or air chanels in your cleats- then your feet actually stay cooler. my feets stay dry and shoes dont stink (at least to me):eek:

I wear socks when training and no socks when racing.

Socks for traing cause it gets cold here in Australia now and i like to keep a bit toasty in the feet when i am on the trainer. No socks when racing cause if i wear overshoes, or long race i need the feet as cool as possable for combating hot spots.

schmuzzy said:
well then, that would be to your advantage eh?:rolleyes: ...

for me- no socks. unless its cold out.

but understand, i'm in south florida, and it do gets plenty warm.

i think the opposite is true- if you've any mesh or air chanels in your cleats- then your feet actually stay cooler. my feets stay dry and shoes dont stink (at least to me):eek:
its all in the people. personally my shoes stink pretty bad and fast if i dont wear socks but others can get away with it. this is completely regardless of temp (-15C or +40C)

Socks when wearing shoes. However, during the summer I sometimes cruise around with clipless sandals. Felt a little naked at first but they're great when the weather is a bit hot and sticky.

I only use socks when its really cold. Other then that, since I don't use socks when I race in triathlons. I don't ride with em either, don't want to get use to socks. Race days are normaly painful enough. ;)

My shoes somehow still smell fine. hehe

maybe it is just me.. but my feet and shoes would REALLY STINK without socks.. :D

capwater said:
Always wear a thin sock, keeps the shoes from getting too stanky. Now in my cowboy boots it's always commando.
I stopped wearing cowboy boots. I couldn't get the cleats to fit right.