Solar Power for Sat Nav touring

Parsnip

Apr 27, 2009
Hello, can anyone give me some tech advice?

I'm looking for a way of powering a USB Sat Nav device, and I don't fancy being stuck to mains power everyday. I've seen quite a few chargers, and the Freeloader looks good when combined with the Supercharger kit, as this would do for my phone too. Does anyone have any experience using this?

My bike (an old Dawes Galaxy) has a front panier rail, which would be perfect for sticking the panel on, with the USB wire going straight up to the handlebars for the Sat Nav.
Is this a good setup? What kind of solar panel would be good for this?

For the Sat Nav, I've been looking at the Road Angel 7000, has anyone used one?
Waterproof, small, access to OS maps, and there are bike fittings available for it.

Just be careful to understand exactly what the recharging parameters are for the GPS unit/battery and what the performance parameters are for the solar charging unit. You can easily burn up a battery or circuitry in a GPS unit.

Parsnip said:
Hello, can anyone give me some tech advice?

I'm looking for a way of powering a USB Sat Nav device, and I don't fancy being stuck to mains power everyday. I've seen quite a few chargers, and the Freeloader looks good when combined with the Supercharger kit, as this would do for my phone too. Does anyone have any experience using this?

My bike (an old Dawes Galaxy) has a front panier rail, which would be perfect for sticking the panel on, with the USB wire going straight up to the handlebars for the Sat Nav.
Is this a good setup? What kind of solar panel would be good for this?

For the Sat Nav, I've been looking at the Road Angel 7000, has anyone used one?
Waterproof, small, access to OS maps, and there are bike fittings available for it.

I have an idea where you can find solar charger to power up your battery. I think it is efficient. Try to look for it. :eek: