Quoted message said:I think your statement about chain drop is inaccurate. I've only had the
chain drop once, and that was with an Ultegra front derailleur which was a
braze on (can you say flexy as hell!!).
I have a 105 bike, and this has NEVER happened, on my two Dura Ace bikes
its NEVER happened.
Life is treating you well!
Quoted message said:I suggest that the LBS is either a) too lazy to properly set up the bike
Not too likely in Peter's case, nor mine. We go to great trouble making
bikes work as well as possible, since happier bike riders ride more, infect
friends with the bike bug, and are very good for business.
Quoted message said:or b) the chain is worn or dirty and that is a maintenace issue.
Worn & dirty chains definitely make things worse; my chain is far more
likely to shift off the inside when it's got over 1500 miles on it (before
that it's rare); I generally replace it at about 1800 miles. Still within
the established limits of wear, but shifting is definitely better with a new
chain.
Cleanliness helps as well; a clean & lubed chain is definitely a happier
chain. However, if you've got a bike with very short chainstays, a
wide-range rear cassette and a front chainring combo that's at the limits of
the derailleur's capacity, and/or tend to shift from the large to small
front when you're already on one of the two largest rear cogs, you're far
more likely to have issues with the chain coming off the inside.
--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
"JayofMontreal" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I think your statement about chain drop is inaccurate. I've only had the
chain drop once, and that was with an Ultegra front derailleur which was a
braze on (can you say flexy as hell!!).
I have a 105 bike, and this has NEVER happened, on my two Dura Ace bikes
its NEVER happened.
I suggest that the LBS is either a) too lazy to properly set up the bike
or b) the chain is worn or dirty and that is a maintenace issue.
"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:yuri-<< Lately, when I change from large chain ring to small one the
chain
simply
drops off (every 3rd-4th change).
Once it even did so when going from small to large chain ring. >><BR><BR>
<< The only advice they could offer me was to change a
few rear cogs up/down so that the chain is more or less "straight" when I
am
about to change >><BR><BR>
Third Eye or Jumpstop chain watcher. A plastic doo-dad that will prevent
your
chain from falling off the small ring. Not uncommon with any lever
mounted
shifting systems.
Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 8/30/2004