Sorry to raise Compact or Standard again but..

Fitzm

Nov 29, 2009
I'm building a new bike (Cervelo Soloist) going to buy a Groupset (very likely Ultegra SL) have placed some posts, read others and the general view seems to be 'go compact' which seemed fine.

But just been to the shed and looked at my 2001 Klein Quantum (this will become my spare bike) which I've been riding for 8yrs and had a look at the groupset. It's 53/39 and 12/25.

Like the rest of us I'm not getting any younger (I'm mid 40's) but don't have any issues with the hills where I live and have on occasion wished I had a higher gear.

So do I buy another standard and stick with 12/25, be silly/brave and go 11/23 or be sensible, give in to the biological clock and go for a compact with 12/23. It will be used for pleasure and the odd triathlon.

Fitzm said:
I'm building a new bike (Cervelo Soloist) going to buy a Groupset (very likely Ultegra SL) have placed some posts, read others and the general view seems to be 'go compact' which seemed fine.

But just been to the shed and looked at my 2001 Klein Quantum (this will become my spare bike) which I've been riding for 8yrs and had a look at the groupset. It's 53/39 and 12/25.

Like the rest of us I'm not getting any younger (I'm mid 40's) but don't have any issues with the hills where I live and have on occasion wished I had a higher gear.

So do I buy another standard and stick with 12/25, be silly/brave and go 11/23 or be sensible, give in to the biological clock and go for a compact with 12/23. It will be used for pleasure and the odd triathlon.

Compact and 11-25...and bob's yer uncle.

Peter@vecchios said:
Compact and 11-25...and bob's yer uncle.
+1

The 50/11 is a taller gear than the 53/12 and the 34/25 is an (obviously) easier climbing gear than the 39/25. I'm in my late 40's and have been riding this setup for ~3 years now - love it.

Dave

First of all go Campy ;). But seriously, I have both and like my standard 39/53 a lot better. I am 44 and it is pretty hilly where I live. I get by fine with a 12-25 on the back and can make most hills on one less then the 25.

On the compact I find I am constantly double shifting. Not really sure why, but I can never quite find the right gear without a lot of fiddeling. On the standard. I am typically going along in the small ring and shift 4-5 times then up to the big ring then a few more shifts in the back. When it gets steep it is just the reverse. I wish I had never gotten the compact on my second bike.

So buy me a standard Centaur crank you can have my compact and be well on your way to a Campy equiped ride.:D

HTH, good luck

I'm probably gonna buck the trend/advice and go Standard.
If I was to go Campy as well people would think I just go against advice for the sake of it ;)
now there's an idea :D

Fitzm said:
I'm probably gonna buck the trend/advice and go Standard.
There's nothing wrong with Ultegra, SL or 6600.

This year I've been using a standard double, Dura-Ace 7800, because that's what my bike came with, usually with a 12-25 that gets me over my usual climbs, and a 12-27 for those days I go exploring. And I'm not young or lightweight.

The dropdown from 50 to 34 can be a little disruptive to your cadence, so avoid it if you can without being a hero.

oldbobcat said:
The dropdown from 50 to 34 can be a little disruptive to your cadence, so avoid it if you can without being a hero.
That doesn't make sense to me. 50/34 with an 11/25 provides greater range than a 53/39 with either a 12/25 or 12/27. Other than providing easier gears for climbs, how is this "disruptive to cadence"?

Dave

I have two bikes, one with 50-34 and 11-25 and the other is 53-39 with 11-25 as well.I use the 50-34 bike in the winter on trainer and the spring on the road. After about 3-4 weeks and my real world fitness is up to my liking out comes the bike with 53-39. I ride with two different groups and most are on standard rings and I find it eaasier to match my gearing plus I just feel fast on the standard, not even going to try to explain why, I just do.

dkrenik said:
Other than providing easier gears for climbs, how is this "disruptive to cadence"?

Forget about the cassette for a minute. 34 is 68% of 50. In any rear cog, to drop from the 50 ring to the 34 ring brings a 32% drop in speed if cadence is maintained or a 32% increase in cadence if speed is maintained. The drop from 53 to 39 is 26.4%.

Some of us use a 50-36 compact, which gives a 28% drop, which is a pretty decent compromise.

Why is this important? Well, maybe it isn't, but it is a consideration. When I used a compact I often felt compelled to upshift twice on the cassette when I dropped down one chainring. With standard cranks, it's a single upshift or no upshift at all.

Should this be the sole factor for choosing standard or triple cranks? Certainly not, because sometimes the difference is between riding the bike up the hill and walking, or (heaven forbid!) getting a triple. But if my terrain and conditioning suggested that I choose between 53-39/12-25 and 50-34/11-21, I'd choose the first.

oldbobcat said:
Forget about the cassette for a minute. 34 is 68% of 50. In any rear cog, to drop from the 50 ring to the 34 ring brings a 32% drop in speed if cadence is maintained or a 32% increase in cadence if speed is maintained. The drop from 53 to 39 is 26.4%.
So? That's why we have cassettes. To be honest I couldn't care less if I need to shift once, twice or three times when dropping into the 34. We're talking about fractions of seconds here.

oldbobcat said:
Why is this important? Well, maybe it isn't, but it is a consideration. When I used a compact I often felt compelled to upshift twice on the cassette when I dropped down one chainring. With standard cranks, it's a single upshift or no upshift at all.
For me this isn't a consideration per my response above.

oldbobcat said:
Should this be the sole factor for choosing standard or triple cranks?
Or compacts? :)

oldbobcat said:
Certainly not, because sometimes the difference is between riding the bike up the hill and walking, or (heaven forbid!) getting a triple. But if my terrain and conditioning suggested that I choose between 53-39/12-25 and 50-34/11-21, I'd choose the first.
I wouldn't choose either of those.

Dave

OK. That's why we have three types of road cranks. All I wanted to do was give Fitzm some rationalization and support for his decision.

Thx again for your comments oldbobcat.... looks like many good things come from Boulder County, Colorado...... I bought my Cervelo Soloist from Excel Sports :D

My current bike (2001 Klein Quantum) has standard with 12/25 but I considered compact because my LBS put compact on a quotation (I asked them to price a Cervelo S1) without asking for my preference, most contributors to the various forums I read suggest compact..... especially those past their 40th birthday.

But one of my many failings is that I'm not easily swayed and like you I reckon I'll stick with Standard ;)

oldbobcat said:

Some of us use a 50-36 compact, which gives a 28% drop, which is a pretty decent compromise.

Should this be the sole factor for choosing standard or triple cranks? Certainly not, because sometimes the difference is between riding the bike up the hill and walking, or (heaven forbid!) getting a triple. But if my terrain and conditioning suggested that I choose between 53-39/12-25 and 50-34/11-21, I'd choose the first.

'Some' of us use a 50/39. Works great around the 'republic.

Peter@vecchios said:

I do at the moment - 2001 Klein Quantum - And reckon I will on the Cervelo Soloist I'm building :)

Peter@vecchios said:
And with just a 14 on the back that would be junior gearing, eh? ;)

When I'm not getting pro deals, Vecchio's and Excel are two of my favorite places to shop.

I run a 53/39 Durace with a 11/28 Sram in the back. I have the 11 for speed and 28 for climbing but I never actually use it. It is 22/25/28 and I usually climb with the 22 then the 25 and thats on 12% to 20% grades. I've only actually had to use the 28 gear once on any real climb and that was on Monteagle Mountain in Chatt. Tn. on the 3 State 3 Mountain ride. I'm also a 200lb rider....I agree with some of the other posts, I tried a compact 50/34 and didn't like the transition from one to the other. With the 53/39 I can be cruising in the 39 about mid way thru the cassette then easily up to the 53 and never miss a stroke and vice versa, with the compact it really thru off my cadence.
I'd consider staying with the 53/39 and going with an 11/28 before I'd opt for the compact.

Yeh roubaixjoe, I reckon I'm gonna stick with Standard (53-39) with 12/15 but also buy swap-out 11/23 cassette.

Fitzm said:
I do at the moment - 2001 Klein Quantum - And reckon I will on the Cervelo Soloist I'm building :)

My goal as I approach .6 of a century in age was to try to make sure I was around the middle of my freewheel(yes, still use a 7s freewheel) when I rode around here unless I was going up a hill or going down one. I can't push a 53-15 on a flat road so a 50t it is. 15/17/19 are the middle 3 cogs. 13-23 or 13-26(17/19/21 middle) if I go up to Jamestown or Ward. Works for me.