Sort of OT: Don't steal bikes in Toronto

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
Cyclist puts alleged bike thief in hospital
No charges likely after single punch, police say

Aug. 11, 2006. 03:30 PM
LINDA NGUYEN AND TAMARA CHERRY
TORONTO STAR

A 16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.

Emergency medical personnel were called to Bloor St. and Dundas St. W.
after the teen was punched in the neck during a scuffle with the man
shortly after 8 p.m. yesterday, said Det. Niels Sondergaard. The boy
was transported to St. Michael’s Hospital with serious, but non
life-threatening injuries.

The man was treated for a broken bone before being questioned and
released by police.

“The 31-year-old male caught the other person trying to steal his
bike. He, at the time, tried to apprehend him and as a result . . .
both parties were injured,” said Sondergaard.

It is unlikely, however, that the man will face criminal charges,
given that under the Criminal Code of Canada, he was legally allowed
to apprehend the teen, Sondergaard said.

Read it at http://tinyurl.com/qq97v

J. Spaceman

Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:

>From the article:
>A 16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
>him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.

I always figured that getting beat up / shot / stabbed by your
intended victim is just an occupational hazard of being a thief. If
you don't want that to happen, choose another profession.

Mark "plus there's no retirement plan" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >From the article:
> >---------------------------------------------------------- A
> >16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
> >him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.

> I always figured that getting beat up / shot / stabbed by your
> intended victim is just an occupational hazard of being a thief. If
> you don't want that to happen, choose another profession.
>
> Mark "plus there's no retirement plan" Hickey

LOL!

> Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>From the article:
>>A 16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
>>him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.

> I always figured that getting beat up / shot / stabbed by your
> intended victim is just an occupational hazard of being a thief. If
> you don't want that to happen, choose another profession.

In California it's a get rich scheme.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 07:52:59 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>From the article:
>>A 16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
>>him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.

>I always figured that getting beat up / shot / stabbed by your
>intended victim is just an occupational hazard of being a thief. If
>you don't want that to happen, choose another profession.
>
>Mark "plus there's no retirement plan" Hickey

Here in Tampa a victim got ******, drove after the robber and one thing leading
to another ended up running him down and ultimately killing him. Aside from
saving the felon from needing a retirement plan, the vic was charged and
prosecuted. Either the state's attorney did him a favor and overcharged, or just
over-reached and the the guy was acquitted of murder.

Ron

"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> From the article:
> Cyclist puts alleged bike thief in hospital
> No charges likely after single punch, police say
>
> Aug. 11, 2006. 03:30 PM
> LINDA NGUYEN AND TAMARA CHERRY
> TORONTO STAR
>
> A 16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
> him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.

Seems we have a bit of a double standard here.

I waited until after JFT had posted something, in order to be assured that
he had an opportunity to see the OP in this thread, but there was silence.
IOW, if you are a reasonably respected poster in rbr, you're not going to
catch **** for posting a whole copyrighted article rather than just the
link.

Not criticizing Jason, just pointing out an inconsistency.

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> ... a reasonably respected poster in rbr [rec.bicycles.racing]....

Isn't that an oxymoron?

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain
Impact is not a synonym of affect or effect

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > From the article:
> > Cyclist puts alleged bike thief in hospital
> > No charges likely after single punch, police say
> >
> > Aug. 11, 2006. 03:30 PM
> > LINDA NGUYEN AND TAMARA CHERRY
> > TORONTO STAR
> >
> > A 16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
> > him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.
> >

> Seems we have a bit of a double standard here.
>
> I waited until after JFT had posted something, in order to be assured that
> he had an opportunity to see the OP in this thread, but there was silence.
> IOW, if you are a reasonably respected poster in rbr, you're not going to
> catch **** for posting a whole copyrighted article rather than just the
> link.
>
> Not criticizing Jason, just pointing out an inconsistency.

Well, it is headlined "Sort of OT." The RBR copyright
enforcers only police on-topic articles.

J. Spaceman frequently only posts the first paragraph
of an article, with a link to the rest. It's a copyright issue
of a different order than reposting the entirety of a
multi-page article.

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote...

> Seems we have a bit of a double standard here.
>
> I waited until after JFT had posted something, in order to be assured that
> he had an opportunity to see the OP in this thread, but there was silence.
> IOW, if you are a reasonably respected poster in rbr, you're not going to
> catch **** for posting a whole copyrighted article rather than just the
> link.
>
> Not criticizing Jason, just pointing out an inconsistency.

It wouldn't be inconsistent if the first guy, whoever he is, wasn't
reasonably respectable.

--
Snippy
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> IOW, if you are a reasonably respected poster in rbr, you're
> not going to catch **** for posting a whole copyrighted article rather
> than just the link.

Perhaps it's the difference between hoping you can reform someone's
behavior and knowing through experience that you cannot.

[email protected] wrote:
> J. Spaceman frequently only posts the first paragraph
> of an article, with a link to the rest. It's a copyright issue
> of a different order than reposting the entirety of a
> multi-page article.

Anyway if he's an alien as his name may imply, then earth laws don't apply.

> Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>From the article:
>>A 16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
>>him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.

> I always figured that getting beat up / shot / stabbed by your
> intended victim is just an occupational hazard of being a thief. If
> you don't want that to happen, choose another profession.

It seems Toronto has quite the reputation for bike theft...
The gigantic URL, BTW, doesn't have the whole article. You have to be a
paid subscriber to get any more than you see below.
Bike here. Bike gone

From Monday's Globe and Mail

Monday, August 14, 2006

How can you tell that Toronto has a real problem with bike thefts? The city
has embarked on a pilot project to offer cyclists sturdy lockers in which
they can hide their bikes awayfor $10 a month. Since several thousand bikes
are stolen in the city each year, and since the number of lockers so far is
22 (first come, first served) at City Hall and Exhibition Place, this won't
help most of the city's cyclists.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...eason=2&denial_reasons=none&force_login=false

Ever respectful of copyright law,
--
Snippy de Bobkins
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
--Albert Einstein

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:44:11 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> From the article:
>> Cyclist puts alleged bike thief in hospital
>> No charges likely after single punch, police say
>>
>> Aug. 11, 2006. 03:30 PM
>> LINDA NGUYEN AND TAMARA CHERRY
>> TORONTO STAR
>>
>> A 16-year-old boy remains in hospital after a 31-year-old man caught
>> him trying to steal his bike last night, police say.
>>

>Seems we have a bit of a double standard here.
>
>I waited until after JFT had posted something, in order to be assured that
>he had an opportunity to see the OP in this thread, but there was silence.
>IOW, if you are a reasonably respected poster in rbr, you're not going to
>catch **** for posting a whole copyrighted article rather than just the
>link.

I'm not sure if you're saying I have a double standard about
complaining about posts of copyrighted material depending on who is
doing it. If you are, you should know that I don't, and also that I
don't feel that just because I complain about something once I should
have to complain about it every single time it occurs.

In the case of this thread, I only skimmed the first post and got the
impression from the link at the end that there was more of the story
available at the original site (I didn't click on the link because I
don't care about the story). Since then I hadn't been reading this
thread at all -- just glancing at it, until I noticed my initials in
it.

Upon further thought, maybe I do have a double standard -- illegally
posting copyrighted material annoys me particularly when the person
doing it is criticizing the legally or ethics of someone they think is
cheating. That's particulary hypocritical, beyond the the wrongness
of the copyright violation. It also annoys me A LOT when done for
personal/financial gain. Violating copyright just as an FYI thing (if
that's what the OP did here -- I'm not sure) is also wrong, though it
doesn't annoy me quite as much.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Donald Munro wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > J. Spaceman frequently only posts the first paragraph
> > of an article, with a link to the rest. It's a copyright issue
> > of a different order than reposting the entirety of a
> > multi-page article.

> Anyway if he's an alien as his name may imply, then earth laws don't apply.

Rasul v. Bush and Hamdan v. Rumsfeld imply that at least
some specific parts of US law apply to aliens, even when they
are located outside the borders of the USA.

[email protected] wrote:
> Rasul v. Bush and Hamdan v. Rumsfeld imply that at least
> some specific parts of US law apply to aliens, even when they
> are located outside the borders of the USA.

Rumsfeld - Conqueror of the Universe.

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> From the article:
> Cyclist puts alleged bike thief in hospital
> No charges likely after single punch, police say

Here in the UK it seems that the justice system has swung in favour or
the criminal, so much so that in that situation the victim would have
been prosecuted for unreasonable force, and then probably sued by the
criminal.

> Upon further thought, maybe I do have a double standard -- illegally
> posting copyrighted material annoys me particularly when the person
> doing it is criticizing the legally or ethics of someone they think is
> cheating.

That's not a double standard.

The standard is whether or not a thing is wrong (or illegal, if you are only
operating at the second level of moral reasoning [1]).

What you are experiencing is the portion of reasoning which determines what
to do about something - an action, while wrong, taken in error can deserve a
different response from one done with unclean hands or for personal profit.

[1] The three levels of moral reasoning, with examples:

a) Higher Ethical Reasoning: "I won't wear a cycle helmet, because to do so
would encourage laws requiring such wearing, and this is proven to not be a
net health benefit to society." (Several recent posters who once were
pro-helmet, but upon examining the data, have changed their views.)

b) Law and Order: "It's the law 'round here to wear a helmet - of course
it's not enforced, but it is still the law." (A certain vocal - but with a
limited vocabulary - pro-helmet zealot whose initials are unfortunately
close to the content of his posts.)

c) Pain and Pleasure: "If I don't wear a helmet, my wife will be unhappy."
(A certain usually respectable poster closely associated with a certain
manufacturer of cycle parts from Italy)

Donald Munro wrote:
> Donald Munro wrote:
> >> Anyway if he's an alien as his name may imply, then earth laws don't apply.

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Rasul v. Bush and Hamdan v. Rumsfeld imply that at least
> > some specific parts of US law apply to aliens, even when they
> > are located outside the borders of the USA.

> Rumsfeld - Conqueror of the Universe.

More like Ozymandias, King of Kings:

"My name is OZYMANDIAS, King of Kings."
Look on my works ye Mighty, and despair!
No thing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that Colossal Wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

http://www.potw.org/archive/potw46.html

jtaylor wrote:
{snip a bunch of pap}

> b) Law and Order: "It's the law 'round here to wear a helmet - of
> course it's not enforced, but it is still the law." (A certain vocal
> - but with a limited vocabulary - pro-helmet zealot whose initials
> are unfortunately close to the content of his posts.)

BWAHAHAHAHA. You just keep making up ****, don't you? (Challenge: find a
single quote from me that even /somewhat/ mirrors that. Hint: We DON'T
have an MHL where I live. Clue: I was not even aware of the supposed CHILD
helmet regulation until someone -- Ravin'? -- said so, and /then/ I said
something to the effect of "Well, I see kids riding lidless all the time, so
obviously it's not strictly enforced." That's VERY different from your
mischaracterization above: "It's the law around here" -- complete lie to
attribute that to me, as of course YOU KNOW.)

Weasel.

[email protected] wrote:
> More like Ozymandias, King of Kings:
>
> "My name is OZYMANDIAS, King of Kings."
> Look on my works ye Mighty, and despair!
> No thing beside remains. Round the decay
> Of that Colossal Wreck, boundless and bare,
> The lone and level sands stretch far away.
>
> http://www.potw.org/archive/potw46.html

Come to think of it the author of the above's wife's creations creation
also springs to mind.