Source for Specialized Hardrock derailleur hanger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Price

Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though they
have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:

Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
without seriously weakening it?

If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for a
Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.

Aye!.

Jim Price deftly scribbled:

> Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
> model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
> they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:
>
> Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
> without seriously weakening it?

As it's a bolt-on hanger it's an Aluminium alloy which _may_ suffer when bent back, which is the
reason they're replaceable. However, as it's shagged now, it can't do too much harm trying it, can
it ? For use as a short term measure only. I wouldn't rely on a bent back gear hanger lasting too
long, but then again .. ;)

--
Digweed

Not me, someone else wrote:
> As it's a bolt-on hanger it's an Aluminium alloy which _may_ suffer when bent back, which is the
> reason they're replaceable. However, as it's shagged now, it can't do too much harm trying it, can
> it ? For use as a short term measure only. I wouldn't rely on a bent back gear hanger lasting too
> long, but then again .. ;)

In fact, I wrote the post after bending it back as carefully as I could. The reason I asked about
the material is it does look like it may be cast of just about anything, and looks significantly
different to all the other replaceable hangers I have. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

--
Jim Price

Aye!.

"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
> model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
> they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few
questions:
>
> Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
> without seriously weakening it?
>
> If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
> a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?
>

They're usually alloy which will work harden when is is manipulated.

Any Speccy dealer worth its salt can get you one, but don't be surprised by the price. They're
not cheap.

--
Adam Dugmore

Honda CB500R - mangled :eek:( Kona Explosif - sparkling :eek:)

Adam Dugmore wrote:
> "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
>>model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
>>they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few
>
> questions:
>
>>Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
>>without seriously weakening it?
>>
>>If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
>>a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?
>>
>
>
> They're usually alloy which will work harden when is is manipulated.

I'm getting conflicting reports on this. As its covered by my neighbours insurance, I think a
replacement is in order.

> Any Speccy dealer worth its salt can get you one, but don't be surprised by the price. They're
> not cheap.

I've found a place with one in stock - Evans Cycles at Waterloo. Sorry, I can't follow your advice
on the surprise: <Victor Meldrew> I can't believe it! </Victor Meldrew> Its £25! Thats got to be
more than the same weight of gold...

--
Jim Price

Aye!.

Jim Price wrote:
> they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:

> If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
> a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?

Well, the part as specified by Evans mail order hotline, and picked up from their Waterloo
store, turned out to be for a 1999 Specialized M4. I hate it when that happens. After a personal
visit to the store, they politely refunded the money for that, and promised to order the proper
part on Monday.

Who fancies starting a campaign to introduce an International Standard derailleur hanger?

--
Jim Price

Aye!.

Status
Not open for further replies.