Source for Specialized Hardrock derailleur hanger?

Jim Price

Guest
Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though they
have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:

Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
without seriously weakening it?

If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for a
Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

Jim Price deftly scribbled:

> Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
> model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
> they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:
>
> Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
> without seriously weakening it?

As it's a bolt-on hanger it's an Aluminium alloy which _may_ suffer when bent back, which is the
reason they're replaceable. However, as it's shagged now, it can't do too much harm trying it, can
it ? For use as a short term measure only. I wouldn't rely on a bent back gear hanger lasting too
long, but then again .. ;)

--
Digweed

Not me, someone else wrote:
> As it's a bolt-on hanger it's an Aluminium alloy which _may_ suffer when bent back, which is the
> reason they're replaceable. However, as it's shagged now, it can't do too much harm trying it, can
> it ? For use as a short term measure only. I wouldn't rely on a bent back gear hanger lasting too
> long, but then again .. ;)

In fact, I wrote the post after bending it back as carefully as I could. The reason I asked about
the material is it does look like it may be cast of just about anything, and looks significantly
different to all the other replaceable hangers I have. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

--

"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
> model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
> they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few
questions:

> Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
> without seriously weakening it?
>
> If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
> a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?

They're usually alloy which will work harden when is is manipulated.

Any Speccy dealer worth its salt can get you one, but don't be surprised by the price. They're
not cheap.

--
Adam Dugmore

Honda CB500R - mangled :eek:( Kona Explosif - sparkling :eek:)

Adam Dugmore wrote:
> "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
>>model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
>>they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few
>
> questions:
>
>>Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
>>without seriously weakening it?
>>
>>If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
>>a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?
>>

> They're usually alloy which will work harden when is is manipulated.

I'm getting conflicting reports on this. As its covered by my neighbours insurance, I think a
replacement is in order.

> Any Speccy dealer worth its salt can get you one, but don't be surprised by the price. They're
> not cheap.

I've found a place with one in stock - Evans Cycles at Waterloo. Sorry, I can't follow your advice
on the surprise: <Victor Meldrew> I can't believe it! </Victor Meldrew> Its £25! Thats got to be
more than the same weight of gold...

--

Jim Price wrote:
> Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
> model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
> they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:

> If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
> a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?

Well, the part as specified by Evans mail order hotline, and picked up from their Waterloo
store, turned out to be for a 1999 Specialized M4. I hate it when that happens. After a personal
visit to the store, they politely refunded the money for that, and promised to order the proper
part on Monday.

Who fancies starting a campaign to introduce an International Standard derailleur hanger?