Specialized Allez Triple

ignastrad

Sep 29, 2005
Hey guys,

I'm just starting to ride on the road. I've been riding trails for about a year. I was wanting to get a road bike and was wondering what everyone thought about the Specialized Allez Triple. I took it for a quick ride but didn't really get too much of an impression, as much of an impression as one could get on a 7-10 minute ride. Anyway, let me know!

-Iggy

ignastrad said:
Any input would be appreciated.

-Iggy
Iggy,

I am assuming that you're talking about the Specialized Allex Elit Triple. My son road it and a Giant. He liked both bikes but ended up with the Giant.

I think it's a great entry level bike and should serve you well. It's sharp looking and has 105 components throughout. It's got Zerts inserts in the carbon forks and seat post (carbon seat post) which will go a long way in dampening the road buzz. I would say go for it.

Of course, you must understand that I am a Specialized owner.

By the way, am I talking about the same bike that you are and, if you don't mind me asking, how much are you getting it for?

Rob

I've got an Allez Sport (£750) triple and its been great. No problems at all, handles well, feels good to ride on.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I was talking about the model that sells for $710 or around there. It's just the base model. I'm a student and I'm a little overweight (about 15 pounds, that may be a lot overweight to you guys), but I've been on trails (and try to get on the road) for about a year. I don't have too much money but I really enjoy cycling a lot. I even like the cycling machines at the gym, I recently started going to, while back home for the past month. I'm going back to college next week to start my job, take lessons, and practice (I'm a trumpet player). I guess I kinda want some more opinions on the bike. I've ridden a few other bikes, but I really like the Specialized.

-Iggy

ignastrad said:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I was talking about the model that sells for $710 or around there. It's just the base model. I'm a student and I'm a little overweight (about 15 pounds, that may be a lot overweight to you guys), but I've been on trails (and try to get on the road) for about a year. I don't have too much money but I really enjoy cycling a lot. I even like the cycling machines at the gym, I recently started going to, while back home for the past month. I'm going back to college next week to start my job, take lessons, and practice (I'm a trumpet player). I guess I kinda want some more opinions on the bike. I've ridden a few other bikes, but I really like the Specialized.

-Iggy
Iggy,

I already suggested that you do it. I looked up the bike that you mentioned. It has Sora components and, like I already stated, it would be a good bike for beginners.

Rob

ignastrad said:
I guess I kinda want some more opinions on the bike. I've ridden a few other bikes, but I really like the Specialized.

-Iggy
For what it's worth . . . . . I recently bought a Specialized Tarmac Comp and I absolutely love it. Prior to that, I had been considering a Cannondale R700.

So . . . . . I ride a Specialized. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Rob

I ended up getting a 2005 Felt f80 at the LBS. It's great. I love it. The tricky thing for me, is getting used to the pedals and cleated shoes.

I've got an Allez Comp..

you're not going to go wrong with an Allez.. assuming it fits you well and you prefer agressive geometry.

John

I have a Specialized Allez Triple (drop-bar). I also have a Specialized Sirrus Elite (flat-bar).

It is the entry level bike in the range. I live in Dublin. It cost €790.
I bought it a few months ago to ride the Wicklow 100 (104 kilometers), which was last weekend (website is wicklow200.ie - 1300 riders, 11th June, doing a 100km or 200km cycle up the local mountains.). I am 55 and needed a bike to climb hills. It did the course in 4 hrs 45 mins, and I was happy with that. About six weeks ago I also did the 104km on a training run.

The bike goes well. I fitted Look pedals when new. After my first ride (75 km) the gears were a bit out (chain skipping over the rings on the back cassette) so I brought it back to the shop and they adjusted it. Probably cable stretch. The front derailleur was rubbing the chain slightly the week before the Wicklow 100 so I spent a memorable four hours "fixing" it myself. I am a total novice at bike repair. It was perfect in the W100. Dumb luck.

I like the bike. My average time on my little training run was 1hr 55 mins on my Specialized Sirrus before I learned to pump my tyres to 100 psi, when the time dropped to 1hr 40 min first trip. But a couple of weeks ago I did it in 1 hr 24 mins on the Specialized Allez triple.

I also did the Mount Leinster challenge a few weeks ago, which has one of the toughest climbs in Ireland.

This bike will get you where you want to go. You will look the part. At my age and fitness cycling anything more expensive would be embarrassing.

Hey mate im lookin at the Felt F80, do you think you could tell us how you are finding it please:)

I posted my findings in your Felt thread.

Great bike. It's a fantastic ride and very nimble. I dont' find too much difficulty in climbing the hills in my area, however, that might not mean much. Everything about the bike is nice. The upgraded components, the gel seat, the carbon forks, light aluminum alloy "Kinesis" frame. It's a great bike. Especially because it was only $80 more than the entry level Specialized (which was also a great ride) however, for the upgrade in components, I think it's worth it. You do, however have to get cleated shoes, but today went much much better than yesterday, which was my first day with the bike. I feel a lot more at ease with the clipping in of the shoes to the pedals and it's getting a lot easier to get them out. It just takes practice. Any idiot can figure it out in a jiffy.