Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Specialized Margins

Started by Onefred · · Last activity · 35 posts · 2,254 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 January 2004
Last activity
16 January 2004
Original author
Onefred
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,254
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–35 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:26:27 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>

    may have said:
    onefred said:

    Yep, and margarines are high in fat but low in saturated fat. But taste is what matters and butter
    has margarine licked.

    Well, Country Crock and Promise can be pretty yummy at times.

    Of course, what's NOT yummy on a sourdough english muffin?

    Well, Velveeta springs to mind...

    (Of course, to me, a "sourdough English muffin" is not exactly the most sought-after provender, so
    many things would suffer by such presentation...but Velveeta can ruin public school cafeteria food.)

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  2. On 13 Jan 2004 05:05:50 -0800, [email hidden] (Dave Kahn) may

    have said:

    "S. Anderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Speaking of english breakfast abominations...can anyone explain to me what a crumpet is!?!?!?! I
    mean, apart from the obvious..

    One of these. uossnaps.co.ukcrumpet.jpg

    In other words, the US "English muffin".

    Yet another instance of how the British and the Americans are two people separated by a common
    language...

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:04:18 -0600, "onefred" <[email hidden]>

    may have said:


    "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    onefred said:

    Yep, and margarines are high in fat but low in saturated fat. But taste


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    what matters and butter has margarine licked.

    Well, Country Crock and Promise can be pretty yummy at times.

    Of course, what's NOT yummy on a sourdough english muffin?

    Bourbon? Menudo? Tripes? Gizzards?

    Haggis!

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  4. Werehatrack said:
    Rick Onanian may have said:

    Of course, what's NOT yummy on a sourdough english muffin?

    Well, Velveeta springs to mind...

    (Of course, to me, a "sourdough English muffin" is not exactly the most sought-after provender, so
    many things would suffer by such

    You must not have tried one as described (toasted and well spread with your butter/your favorite
    butter substitute). Or, possibly, you could differ from me, as rare (hah!) as that is.

    Quoted message said:

    presentation...but Velveeta can ruin public school cafeteria food.)

    Sheesh...if you like public school cafeteria food, or at least find it still ruinable, then your
    tastes are WAY off...

    This, of course, does not count public schools that have replaced their cafeterias with big-name
    fast food franchises. That's not to say that such food is better, just a different category.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. Werehatrack said:

    On 13 Jan 2004 05:05:50 -0800, [email hidden] (Dave Kahn) may

    Quoted message said:

    "S. Anderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Speaking of english breakfast abominations...can anyone explain to me what a crumpet is!?!?!?! I
    mean, apart from the obvious..


    One of these. uossnaps.co.ukcrumpet.jpg

    In other words, the US "English muffin".

    The "english muffins" I've had have been superficially similar to the "crumpets" I've had, but seem
    to be made of a moderately different material and constructed slightly differently.

    Quoted message said:

    Yet another instance of how the British and the Americans are two people separated by a common
    language...

    Should it be any different? We're also separated by geography, government, and customs; we ought not
    have languages _exactly_ the same.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. S. Anderson said:

    Actually, menudo is quite good.

    Oh. I thought Dave was referring to a pop music generation unit constructed entirely of young males.

    Quoted message said:

    It's a kind of spicey Phillipino stew.

    Does it have any spicy Phillipinos in it?

    Quoted message said:

    Generally, beef or pork is used, nothing exotic like tripe or tongue. I make it at home quite a bit
    because it's basically a fill the pot, turn it on and forget it kinda dish.

    Hey, any excuse to eat cow is a good one to me. I'll have to look up a menudo recipe.

    Quoted message said:

    Cheers, Scott..


    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:20:08 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In other words, the US "English muffin".

    The "english muffins" I've had have been superficially similar to the "crumpets" I've had, but seem
    to be made of a moderately different material and constructed slightly differently.


    The taste is different from an english muffin but also they are not as technically efficient.
    Crumpets are spongier and have holes that lets the butter run through and I have the stains on an
    old wool Raleigh jersey to prove it.

    jeffb

  8. On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:28:02 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>

    may have said:
    Werehatrack said:
    Rick Onanian may have said:

    Of course, what's NOT yummy on a sourdough english muffin?

    Well, Velveeta springs to mind...

    (Of course, to me, a "sourdough English muffin" is not exactly the most sought-after provender, so
    many things would suffer by such

    You must not have tried one as described (toasted and well spread with your butter/your favorite
    butter substitute). Or, possibly, you could differ from me, as rare (hah!) as that is.

    We differ. I am not enamored of sourdough, period.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    presentation...but Velveeta can ruin public school cafeteria food.)

    Sheesh...if you like public school cafeteria food, or at least find it still ruinable, then your
    tastes are WAY off...

    Nothing to be liked there, but Velveeta can make anything worse.

    Quoted message said:

    This, of course, does not count public schools that have replaced their cafeterias with big-name
    fast food franchises. That's not to say that such food is better, just a different category.

    Normal "school food" is neither attractive nor particularly nutritious. Sellout food is more
    attractive and less nutritious. So it goes.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  9. "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    S. Anderson said:

    Actually, menudo is quite good.

    Oh. I thought Dave was referring to a pop music generation unit constructed entirely of
    young males.

    Me, too. I can't imagine that putting young latin man on your english muffins would be delicious.
    But to each their own... I guess.

    I also thought that menudo was cow intestines chopped, appropriately cooked and served as a soup.
    Tripe is pig intestines. Black boudin is fried pig blood, IIRC. Cow brains are another favored food
    by some cultures. In France, you can find cheese with living maggots which are for consumation. Yes,
    I can think of many things that would ruin the flavor of a good Bays english muffin.

    Dave

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Rick Onanian said:
    Werehatrack said:

    On 13 Jan 2004 05:05:50 -0800, [email hidden] (Dave Kahn) may

    Quoted message said:

    "S. Anderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...
    > Speaking of english breakfast abominations...can anyone explain to me what a crumpet is!?!?!?!
    > I mean, apart from the obvious..
    One of these. uossnaps.co.ukcrumpet.jpg

    In other words, the US "English muffin".

    The "english muffins" I've had have been superficially similar to the "crumpets" I've had, but
    seem to be made of a moderately different material and constructed slightly differently.

    Quoted message said:

    Yet another instance of how the British and the Americans are two people separated by a common
    language...

    In Canada, the object shown above is a crumpet, but an English Muffin is a different and altogether
    tastier beast:

    tinyurl.com2pvlp

    www2.wolfermans.comShop D=1114SP&R=8509

    Alas, the photo doesn't show the difference well. Crumpets are spongy, and in my experience,
    have a bland taste and an odd texture. I would eat one, but would choose almost any other baked
    good over it.

    English Muffins come looking like a small, flattened hamburger bun. The commercial ones I eat are
    always perforated through the centre for easy separation. After toasting, they are crispy, and the
    inner surface (the face you see in the above photo) is highly textured and irregular, just about the
    ideal surface for soaking up spreads (butter and jam is nice and traditional). They are also made
    with raisins or cheese mixed in, though Wolferman's seems to offer the typical modern variations,
    like Onion & Garlic or Cranberry Citrus.

    English muffins are one of my favourite baked goods, and I prefer them to almost any other toasted
    bread. I think raisin English muffins are the best kind of raisin bread.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  11. On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:05:54 GMT, jeffbonny <[email hidden]>

    may have said:
    Rick Onanian said:
    Quoted message said:

    In other words, the US "English muffin".

    The "english muffins" I've had have been superficially similar to the "crumpets" I've had, but
    seem to be made of a moderately different material and constructed slightly differently.


    The taste is different from an english muffin but also they are not as technically efficient.
    Crumpets are spongier and have holes that lets the butter run through and I have the stains on an
    old wool Raleigh jersey to prove it.

    Like most everything else sold as "food" in the US, the "English muffin" comes in many gradations of
    quality. The ones sold by a certain local bakery of my acquantance are very porous, both dense and
    spongy without being tough, and provide more than ample cavities in which jam can be concealed. If
    buttered, they will pass along the attempt to whatever is below them, be it hand, clothing, or cat.

    We have a couple of bakeries here with the audacity to claim that they know how to make scones.
    Given that their product cannot be used as a doorstop or wheel chock with the least bit of
    effectiveness, I cannot consider them truly authentic.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  12. onefred said:

    France, you can find cheese with living maggots which are for consumation.

    Those French are weird. I would not even consider the thought of possibly consumating with cheese
    [or anything] with maggots [dead or alive], nor would I entertain the mere idea of eating it.

    Quoted message said:

    Dave


    --
    Rick Onanian

  13. <snippus majoris>

    Man if you Anglophiles don't like what we call English Muffins - you should see what passes for a PINT!

  14. Werehatrack said:
    Quoted message said:

    Of course, what's NOT yummy on a sourdough english muffin?

    Well, Velveeta springs to mind...

    I thought Velveeta was a chain lube - I never would have considered actually ingesting such a
    substance.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  15. OK, but are you refined enough to enjoy some Rocky Mountain Oysters atop
    your English Muffins? If you don't each red meat, turkey may be
    substituted!
    funlinked.comrecipe.html

    Dave

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.