Mike Jacoubowsky said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:EXACTLY! And therein lies the problem, because the now-loose nut
is buzzing, so you crank it down to get rid of the noise. The
problem isn't caused by the initial tightening; sorry if that's
how it came across. They may actually be useful initially (during
pumping), and I suggest to customers they can use them at that
time, and then remove them so they don't buzz.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:What? Buzzing? In all the years of riding with stem nuts on
Presta valves, I haven't heard a sound from them, even at brisk
speed in the silence of a tailwind. Besides, the next time I pump
that tire on the road, I want the nut to be in place on the stem of
the replacement tube. There is no reason to throw the nut away
other than tossing it over the appropriate shoulder to prevent
attack by vampires.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:That is what the whole stem nut story is about, myth and lore.
Quoted message said:Oh my. Myth & lore? Doesn't hold water in this case. This isn't
hard to test; you can demonstrate it very easily. Just put a valve
nut onto a stem and bounce it lightly on the ground. If your ears
can't hear it, I'd be quite surprised. And you'd obviously be
*very* surprised at the number of customers we have who bring in
their bikes for mystery noises which turn out to be one... valve
nuts buzzing.
Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't know you were talking about basketball.
Quoted message said:Anyone doubting this should try the experiment themselves.
....and you can hear a buzzing sound from that nut while riding? I
don't believe it. The nut is held radially in its threads snugly by
centrifugal force even if it isn't tightened against the rim.
Jobst Brandt