> Saut‚ pan
> Olive oil
> Minced Garlic (saut‚ briefly)
> Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
> Finish with a splash of Balsamic.

Dimitri,

I like it like that! :)

Andy

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > And the nutrients go down, down, down the drain...
>> >
>> > Saute tender leafy vegetables directly in fat
>> > (bacon fat is better than butter), no boiling, no squeezing.

>> <Snip>
>>
>> > Sheldon

>> One of our favorites:
>>
>> Sauté pan
>> Olive oil
>> Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
>> Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
>> Finish with a splash of Balsamic.
>>
>> Alternate
>> Sauté pan
>> Olive oil
>> Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
>> add the Balsamic to reduce.
>> Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
>> Sauté & toss till lightly wilted.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> Add a bit of melted cheese...... ;-d
>
> I never boil spinach.
> I do sometimes steam it and other mixed veggies, but the steaming water
> gets frozen for later use in soup stocks as it's always loaded with
> veggie flavor. At least steaming does not use much water tho' and does
> not come into direct contact with the veggies.
>
> Sauteed' spinach IMHO is superior, but I use a mix of butter and olive
> oil.
> --
> Om.

It's true. I used a wrong word. I *cook* spinach in few waters!
Sorry.
Pandora

"Charlene Charette" wrote in message >

Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> >>
>>><[email protected]> wrote >>>

>>>(laugh) Well, I don't think your sentence is complete, and I am pretty
>>>sure you are supposed to put the . inside the quotes.
>>>
>>>Could be wrong.
>>>
>>>nancy

>> LOL, you are right, Nancy. The exception is the question mark.
>> So funny.
>> Dee Dee

> American English puts the period inside the quotes; British English puts
> the period outside the quotes. Haven't you read _Eats, Shoots, and
> Leaves_?
>
> --Charlene

Well, here's the way I was taught in my British high school:

If a complete sentence is in quotes, then the period goes inside. If it's
a word, such as "it's", or a phrase, the period goes outside.
However, don't bank on the British - after all, we say "full stop" instead
of "period". ;-)

Dora

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I cannot eat spinach raw except for a couple of leaves. When I eat
>>> spinach steamed or blanched, I always pour over it a tablespoon of
>>> vinegar because I've heard that spinach will keep bind calcium and not
>>> let it be absorbed. That could be a hoax, I'm not stating it as fact,
>>> just simply my reason for using vinegar.
>>>
>>> I made this simple spinach dish last night, Quick and EASY! It was good.
>>> Creamed Spinach.
>>>
>>> Pour a batch of spinach into a hot pan (no water needed if you washed
>>> your spinach). Cook as long as you desire. Take it out and chop it.
>>> Add some butter (melt first) and cream to your pan and heat to point of
>>> boiling. Add back into your pan the spinach. Sprinkle on a little fresh
>>> nutmeg.
>>> Dee Dee

>> I make spinach in a similar way. After having boiled them, you squeeze.
>> Then put them in a frying pan with liquefied butter. Salt, nutmeg (if
>> you want) and a lot of grated Reggiano cheese. Mix for a minute till
>> Cheese will become stringy.
>> Gnam Gnam!!! and Yum Yum!
>> Pandora
>>>

> Pandora, I will never forget seeing the spinach when we were in Italy a
> LOOOONG time ago. There was (outside) in a covered/screened in restaurant
> sitting waiting to be cooked on either a grill or fry-pan, many, many
> rounded balls of spinach which had been flattened (I recall a toothpick
> holding them together). I don't know how I got into cooking spinach this
> way: Making similar balls of blanched spinach, flattening them, and frying
> them in olive oil.
> Thanks for the hint, I will make it your way, tonight. I just cut up a
> slab of Parmisan Regg and put it in my new vacuum foodsaver last night. I
> will not waste it any more. I also cut off some of the rinds for soup. I
> kept some PR out, and I have some fresh spinach left and will try it your
> way for dinner tonight to serve with my lasagna. It's only 1:30 am, so I
> will have to wait. Gnam Gnam~~~~~~
> Dee Dee

Thank you Dee, BTW I've never seen these balls of spinach cooked in this
way.
It seams to me very interesting!
Cheers
Pandora

>> Pandora, I will never forget seeing the spinach when we were in Italy a
>> LOOOONG time ago. There was (outside) in a covered/screened in
>> restaurant sitting waiting to be cooked on either a grill or fry-pan,
>> many, many rounded balls of spinach which had been flattened (I recall a
>> toothpick holding them together). I don't know how I got into cooking
>> spinach this way: Making similar balls of blanched spinach, flattening
>> them, and frying them in olive oil.

> Thank you Dee, BTW I've never seen these balls of spinach cooked in this
> way.
> It seams to me very interesting!
> Cheers
> Pandora

And travelers come to the U.S.; then they see something done in a certain
way in a certain part of our country and perhaps thinking it is done that
way all over the U.S. I am still learning how people do things in different
states here.
Dee Dee

In article <[email protected]>,
"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Add a bit of melted cheese...... ;-d
> >
> > I never boil spinach.
> > I do sometimes steam it and other mixed veggies, but the steaming water
> > gets frozen for later use in soup stocks as it's always loaded with
> > veggie flavor. At least steaming does not use much water tho' and does
> > not come into direct contact with the veggies.
> >
> > Sauteed' spinach IMHO is superior, but I use a mix of butter and olive
> > oil.
> > --
> > Om.

> It's true. I used a wrong word. I *cook* spinach in few waters!
> Sorry.
> Pandora

We'll have you speaking fluent English yet dear! ;-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Charlene Charette" <[email protected]> wrote

> Dee Randall wrote:

>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>Could be wrong.

>> LOL, you are right, Nancy. The exception is the question mark.
>> So funny.
>> Dee Dee

(smile) By the way, Dee, this is not the first time I have not
seen your posts firsthand, only when someone responds to
you. Wonder why.

> American English puts the period inside the quotes; British English puts
> the period outside the quotes. Haven't you read _Eats, Shoots, and
> Leaves_?

No, I haven't, Charlene, good book? I'll pick it up if I think
of it.

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Charlene Charette" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Dee Randall wrote:

>>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> LOL, you are right, Nancy. The exception is the question mark.
>>> So funny.
>>> Dee Dee

> (smile) By the way, Dee, this is not the first time I have not
> seen your posts firsthand, only when someone responds to
> you. Wonder why.
>
>> American English puts the period inside the quotes; British English puts
>> the period outside the quotes. Haven't you read _Eats, Shoots, and
>> Leaves_?

> No, I haven't, Charlene, good book? I'll pick it up if I think
> of it.
>
> nancy

I don't know, Nancy. Maybe you have me killfiled? Hope not. :-{
Dee Dee

~
~> MrKrinkle wrote:
~>> Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent
it's
~>> nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only that,
but it
~>> also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad you ate it
with.
~>> But if you cook it first then you get the nutrients. Is that
true?
~
~> No. But there probably is a bit of truth to it. I believe spinach
~> contains oxalates, which inhibit (not not totally prevent) the
absorption
~> of calcium and... iron? OTOH, cooking will destroy some (but not
all) of
~> the vitamins.
~>
~> Overall, I think it would be more nutritious raw -- it certainly
makes a
~> better salad raw!
~
~I did a quick little search and right away found two sites that
backed up
~what he said, that it's better to be eaten cooked. I don't know
about
~it's affect on other foods.
~
~nancy
~
Citations, please? For every opinion on the internet, I can find a
dozen to contradict it in twenty ways. Not trying to be smarmy, just
would like to see the sources.

Thanks
maxine in ri

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:51:11 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>

~> Dee Randall wrote:
~
[...]

If you like books about grammar with a bit of humor thrown in. I
thought the reviews were a bit over-glowing. Borrow it from the
library before buying it.

maxine in ri
damning with faint praise

"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> I made this simple spinach dish last night, Quick and EASY! It was good.
>> Creamed Spinach.
>>
>> Pour a batch of spinach into a hot pan (no water needed if you washed
>> your spinach). Cook as long as you desire. Take it out and chop it.
>> Add some butter (melt first) and cream to your pan and heat to point of
>> boiling. Add back into your pan the spinach. Sprinkle on a little fresh
>> nutmeg.
>> Dee Dee

> I make spinach in a similar way. After having boiled them, you squeeze.
> Then put them in a frying pan with liquefied butter. Salt, nutmeg (if you
> want) and a lot of grated Reggiano cheese. Mix for a minute till Cheese
> will become stringy.
> Gnam Gnam!!! and Yum Yum!
> Pandora

Just finished dinner, Pandora. I like the substitution of cheese for the
cream. I used Grana Padano (sp?) cheese instead of PR, as it was open. My
DH grated it finely. It melted directly into the spinach and was not
stringy. The cheese made it so much richer and tastier. Thanks for telling
me about this. I'll try it with PR next time.
Many thanks,
Dee Dee

"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote

> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:32:28 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>
> connected the dots and wrote:

> ~I did a quick little search and right away found two sites that
> backed up
> ~what he said, that it's better to be eaten cooked. I don't know
> about
> ~it's affect on other foods.

> Citations, please? For every opinion on the internet, I can find a
> dozen to contradict it in twenty ways. Not trying to be smarmy, just
> would like to see the sources.

All I did was google on eating raw spinach and they popped up,
I didn't cite them because, as you rightly point out, who the heck
are they? I don't know, but I will say that I looked because I had
read that myself some time ago. Last night I saw two, tonight I
just see the one ... most of the sites are about raw diets.

http://www.tonytantillo.com/vegetables/spinach.html

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

>>> Pandora, I will never forget seeing the spinach when we were in Italy a
>>> LOOOONG time ago. There was (outside) in a covered/screened in
>>> restaurant sitting waiting to be cooked on either a grill or fry-pan,
>>> many, many rounded balls of spinach which had been flattened (I recall a
>>> toothpick holding them together). I don't know how I got into cooking
>>> spinach this way: Making similar balls of blanched spinach, flattening
>>> them, and frying them in olive oil.

>> Thank you Dee, BTW I've never seen these balls of spinach cooked in this
>> way.
>> It seams to me very interesting!
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> And travelers come to the U.S.; then they see something done in a certain
> way in a certain part of our country and perhaps thinking it is done that
> way all over the U.S. I am still learning how people do things in
> different states here.
> Dee Dee

It's true!
Pan

Nancy Young wrote:

>>American English puts the period inside the quotes; British English puts
>>the period outside the quotes. Haven't you read _Eats, Shoots, and
>>Leaves_?

> No, I haven't, Charlene, good book? I'll pick it up if I think
> of it.
>
> nancy

I thought it was a great book, but I'm a language geek. It's not a
dull, dry grammar. It's full of wonderful grammar jokes.

--Charlene

--
Geek: A nerd without mathematical aptitude. -- Bayan, Rick; The
Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net

In article <[email protected]>, "limey"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Charlene Charette" wrote in message >
>Dee Randall wrote:

>>> LOL, you are right, Nancy. The exception is the question mark.

>> American English puts the period inside the quotes; British English puts
>> the period outside the quotes. Haven't you read _Eats, Shoots, and
>> Leaves_?

>Well, here's the way I was taught in my British high school:
>
>If a complete sentence is in quotes, then the period goes inside. If it's
>a word, such as "it's", or a phrase, the period goes outside.
>However, don't bank on the British - after all, we say "full stop" instead
>of "period". ;-)

And I understand you Poms don't use durex in the office either. ;-)
[ But we Aussies of sufficient age to have been taught grammar and
other aspects of written English at school do agree with your way of
punctuating quotations. ]

Cheers, Phred.

--
[email protected]LID

"Phred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "limey"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

"it's"

pretty

> >> American English puts the period inside the quotes; British English

puts
> >> the period outside the quotes. Haven't you read _Eats, Shoots, and
> >> Leaves_?

> >Well, here's the way I was taught in my British high school:
> >
> >If a complete sentence is in quotes, then the period goes inside. If

it's
> >a word, such as "it's", or a phrase, the period goes outside.
> >However, don't bank on the British - after all, we say "full stop"

instead
> >of "period". ;-)

> And I understand you Poms don't use durex in the office either. ;-)
> [ But we Aussies of sufficient age to have been taught grammar and
> other aspects of written English at school do agree with your way of
> punctuating quotations. ]

First learned that li'l bit of trivia from Brummie comedian Jasper Carrot
IIRC - Aussie in UK, in a shop, asks for a roll of Durex - reply "A
*ROOLLLL*?!?!?" ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Brain not working well today, may have been someone else told
it.

Dimitri wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> > Dumbdora wrote:
> >>
> >> After having boiled them, you squeeze.

> > And the nutrients go down, down, down the drain... leave it to a dumb
> > dago who has absolutely no business in a kitchen.
> >
> > Normal brained cooks saute tender leafy vegetables directly in fat
> > (bacon fat is better than butter), no boiling, no squeezing.

> One of our favorites:
>
> Sauté pan
> Olive oil
> Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
> Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
> Finish with a splash of Balsamic.
>
> Alternate
> Sauté pan
> Olive oil
> Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
> add the Balsamic to reduce.
> Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
> Sauté & toss till lightly wilted.
>
> Dimitri

'Zactly.

There are myriad variations... but no one who belongs in a kitchen
boils spinach... may as well used canned.

One of my favorites is also about as easy as easy can be... the Classic
hot spinach salad... chop a 1/2lb bacon, fry till crisp but still
chewy, pour off all but 3Tbls fat and add 1lb dry spinach... toss no
more than one minute and serve immediately... can be topped with
chicken or beef, hard cooked egg slices, red onion rings, toasted
walnuts, etc.

I keep telling yoose, but yoose still don't believe, this
Dumbdora/spinach boiler is a total fraud... she's NOT who she says she
is... neither are those pics her own... all her recipes with nutritive
values are obviously pilfered off the net but the greazy snake claims
them as her own. She reminds me of a similar fraud from a number of
years ago. I can understand how some of yoose (the rfc skanks) can
align yourselves with her but some of yoose shock me by how easily
you've been snookered by this putrid Dumbdora ****. And has nothing to
do with whether yoose like me or not, it's not a competition... yoose
are simply naive.

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:
> [snip]
> One of my favorites is also about as easy as easy can be... the Classic
> hot spinach salad... chop a 1/2lb bacon, fry till crisp but still
> chewy, pour off all but 3Tbls fat and add 1lb dry spinach... toss no
> more than one minute and serve immediately... can be topped with
> chicken or beef, hard cooked egg slices, red onion rings, toasted
> walnuts, etc. [snip]

Gotta sprinkle some red wine vinegar in this a few seconds before you
remove it from the pan! -aem