SPOILER: TdF prologue

Iain Jones

Guest
Well watcha reckon? It sounded a good one to me, based on the last half
hour I heard. Armstrong sounded stronger than last year, 2 seconds off in
second place rather than hidden away further down the list (what time did
he got last year?)

"Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well watcha reckon? It sounded a good one to me, based on the last half
> hour I heard. Armstrong sounded stronger than last year, 2 seconds off in
> second place rather than hidden away further down the list (what time did
> he got last year?)

It was missing one person I'd have liked to see race it ... I think Lance
will be a bit peeved for not coming first ... he was giving it loads,
surprised McGee and Ullrich didn't go faster ...

elyob wrote:

> It was missing one person I'd have liked to see race it ... I think Lance
> will be a bit peeved for not coming first ... he was giving it loads,
> surprised McGee and Ullrich didn't go faster ...

Yeah, Armstrong has a horrible TT style compared to Ullrich, whose head
and body barely moved. Not sure Ullrich is that bothered about the
prologue - he didn't seem to be in any desperate hurry.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> elyob wrote:
>
>> It was missing one person I'd have liked to see race it ... I think Lance
>> will be a bit peeved for not coming first ... he was giving it loads,
>> surprised McGee and Ullrich didn't go faster ...

> Yeah, Armstrong has a horrible TT style compared to Ullrich, whose head
> and body barely moved. Not sure Ullrich is that bothered about the
> prologue - he didn't seem to be in any desperate hurry.

the wind conditions were said to be very changable but Ullrich and
Armstrong were on the course at almost the same time.

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in

> elyob wrote:
>
>> It was missing one person I'd have liked to see race it ... I think
>> Lance will be a bit peeved for not coming first ... he was giving it
>> loads, surprised McGee and Ullrich didn't go faster ...

> Yeah, Armstrong has a horrible TT style compared to Ullrich,

Today, or in general? I read he's changed his position for this year.
Can't comment on that yet, I only had the live commentary to go by today.

Zog The Undeniable typed:
> elyob wrote:
>
>> It was missing one person I'd have liked to see race it ... I think Lance
>> will be a bit peeved for not coming first ... he was giving it loads,
>> surprised McGee and Ullrich didn't go faster ...

> Yeah, Armstrong has a horrible TT style compared to Ullrich, whose head
> and body barely moved. Not sure Ullrich is that bothered about the
> prologue - he didn't seem to be in any desperate hurry.

I agree .. he looked like he was out for a trundle around the park. I
reckon Jan might just do it this year .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

> I reckon Jan might just do it this year .. ;)

He seems to be in better shape than I ever remember him, in fact I barely
recognised his thin face :)

I reckon Tyler Hamilton could be tha man this year, but hey let's hope Lance
does it eh? Six, wow. If he looses, he'll never ride again.

bfn,

Tony B

Paul - ***:
> I agree .. he looked like he was out for a trundle around the park. I
> reckon Jan might just do it this year .. ;)

Do you think he might be saving himself for a few 'proper' stage wins early
on? Would he try such a risky strategy? I have a hunch he might...

Of course, risky or not, he'd have trouble getting past Petacchi at the
moment.

d.

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:56:09 +0000 (UTC), "davek"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul - ***:
>> I agree .. he looked like he was out for a trundle around the park. I
>> reckon Jan might just do it this year .. ;)

>Do you think he might be saving himself for a few 'proper' stage wins early
>on? Would he try such a risky strategy? I have a hunch he might...

The principals (Armstrong, Ullrich, Hamilton, Mayo etc) won't make any
significant moves probably until Stage 12

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/?id=stages/stage12

>Of course, risky or not, he'd have trouble getting past Petacchi at the
>moment.

Sit back and enjoy the sprinter's fest for the next week or so...

Regards!
Stephen

davek typed:
> Paul - ***:
>> I agree .. he looked like he was out for a trundle around the park. I
>> reckon Jan might just do it this year .. ;)

> Do you think he might be saving himself for a few 'proper' stage wins
> early on? Would he try such a risky strategy? I have a hunch he might...

Not if he really has got brains with the brawn .. ;)

> Of course, risky or not, he'd have trouble getting past Petacchi at the
> moment.

Heheheh .. Kirsipuu just won the first sprint finish, with Petacchi down in
eighth .. Mcewen was _very_ close though .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Steve McGinty:
> The principals (Armstrong, Ullrich, Hamilton, Mayo etc) won't make any
> significant moves probably until Stage 12

Yeah... I think I must have been drunk when I wrote that about Ullrich. Or
maybe it's just too much wishful thinking...

d.

In message <[email protected]>, Paul - ***
<[email protected]> writes
>davek typed:
>> Paul - ***:
>>> I agree .. he looked like he was out for a trundle around the park. I
>>> reckon Jan might just do it this year .. ;)

>> Do you think he might be saving himself for a few 'proper' stage wins
>> early on? Would he try such a risky strategy? I have a hunch he might...

>Not if he really has got brains with the brawn .. ;)
>
>> Of course, risky or not, he'd have trouble getting past Petacchi at the
>> moment.

>Heheheh .. Kirsipuu just won the first sprint finish, with Petacchi down in
>eighth .. Mcewen was _very_ close though .. ;)

Just a gentle reminder about the posting protocol Paul. The thread title
says "SPOILER: TDF prologue" not "....stage 1" :)

Cheers,
--
Victor Meldrew

Use Reply-to address for e-mail reply.

Because of incessant spammage this address will only be valid for a few days.

Victor Meldrew typed:

> Just a gentle reminder about the posting protocol Paul. The thread title
> says "SPOILER: TDF prologue" not "....stage 1" :)

Yeah, sorry ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Victor Meldrew typed:
>
> > Just a gentle reminder about the posting protocol Paul. The thread title
> > says "SPOILER: TDF prologue" not "....stage 1" :)

> Yeah, sorry ..

My local pub have a "don't mention the TdF to Nick" rule .. and I've told my
friends and, especially, family that I don't want to know the results from
them. :)