Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

spoke length and threadlock

Started by smokva · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,394 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 February 2005
Last activity
25 February 2005
Original author
smokva
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,394
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. carlfogel said:

    b) Folks who can "build the wheels properly" can probably
    keep a cigarette lighter flame on the far side of the rim.

    On the other hand, most riders are not smokers (not any more), and so most
    would not habitually carry a lighter. Fewer still would carry one just to
    soften the locktite just in case they needed to do field repairs on a
    wheel. So we still have the scenario of an unfixable wheel out in the
    middle of nowhere after hitting a pothole or a rock.

    The alternative, using oil not locktite, seems to have no such downside,
    and there should be no need to use the stuff to keep the wheel true under
    normal wear and tear.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
    _`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
    (_)/ (_) |

  2. David L. Johnson said:
    carlfogel said:

    b) Folks who can "build the wheels properly" can probably
    keep a cigarette lighter flame on the far side of the rim.

    On the other hand, most riders are not smokers (not any more), and so most
    would not habitually carry a lighter. Fewer still would carry one just to
    soften the locktite just in case they needed to do field repairs on a
    wheel. So we still have the scenario of an unfixable wheel out in the
    middle of nowhere after hitting a pothole or a rock.

    The alternative, using oil not locktite, seems to have no such downside,
    and there should be no need to use the stuff to keep the wheel true under
    normal wear and tear.

    Dear David,

    As I said, I agree that it all sounds like too much fuss.

    But my heart turns to stone when I contemplate the fate of
    riders who do loctite their wheels and then carry a spoke
    wrench that they now know cannot be used unless they also
    carry a cigarette lighter.

    They might as well complain that they have a pump, but no
    spare tube or patch kit.

    Carl Fogel

  3. Werehatrack said:

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:54:38 GMT, [email hidden] may

    have said:

    I haven't used 1" spoke nipples in a long time but all the ones I used
    had no more thread in them than short nipples, the long end being a
    smooth threadless bore.

    Not unlike many Usenet conversations, then.


    lol!

  4. quote='A Muzi' A Muzi said:
    Quoted message said:

    No functional difference.
    The depth of thread is the same on short and long nipples.

    smokva said:

    Are you sure about that?
    The on-line calculator on DtSwiss site will reduce the length of spokes if I
    choose longer nipples in applet? I guess it is a bug then.

    Sure, it would be possible to make such a thing.

    But all the ones I know just have longer lead before the thread:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/NIPPLES.JPG

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971[/QUOTE]

    It may be an optical illusion, but the longer nipple looks to have a "head" that is thinner (in the dimension along the axis of the spoke) than the shorter nipple.
    I know that some nipples are different than others in this dimension. If you want accurate ERD data for a particular rim/nipple combination, it is important to use those nipples you will use to build the wheel.
    The difference is usually small, but varies as much as 2 mm with different nipples and how the nipples "seat" in the spoke hole openings on different rims.

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A Muzi <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >No functional difference.
    >The depth of thread is the same on short and long nipples.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    smokva said:

    Are you sure about that?
    The on-line calculator on DtSwiss site will reduce the length of


    spokes if I

    Quoted message said:

    choose longer nipples in applet? I guess it is a bug then.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A Muzi Wrote:
    Sure, it would be possible to make such a thing.
    But all the ones I know just have longer lead before the thread:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/NIPPLES.JPG

    daveornee said:

    It may be an optical illusion, but the longer nipple looks to have a
    "head" that is thinner (in the dimension along the axis of the spoke)
    than the shorter nipple.
    I know that some nipples are different than others in this dimension.
    If you want accurate ERD data for a particular rim/nipple combination,
    it is important to use those nipples you will use to build the wheel.
    The difference is usually small, but varies as much as 2 mm with
    different nipples and how the nipples "seat" in the spoke hole openings
    on different rims.

    I think that's just sloppy filing.
    Hard to hold the little buggers

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. In message <[email hidden]>, A Muzi
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    A Muzi said:

    No functional difference.
    The depth of thread is the same on short and long nipples.

    smokva said:

    Are you sure about that?
    The on-line calculator on DtSwiss site will reduce the length of
    spokes if I choose longer nipples in applet? I guess it is a bug then.

    Sure, it would be possible to make such a thing.

    But all the ones I know just have longer lead before the thread:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/NIPPLES.JPG


    Not the DT Swiss ones I bought last week.

    The 16mm nipples have just over 2mm more thread than the normal 12mm
    length from the same maker. The unthreaded bore is less than 2mm longer
    and they weigh about 0.3gm more each.

    I have used them with 2 cross lacing on 20" front wheels where the spoke
    lengths differ inside flange as against outside flange.
    --

    Martyn Aldis, e-mail [email hidden]
    ==============================================================================

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.