SRAM Cassettes

andy

Guest
I am considering replacing an 8s mtb cassette w/ a SRAM 850 model because
they are significantly cheaper than shimano xt. Anyone w/ experience w/
these? Do they wear about the same? Shifting performance? Thanx in advance.
andy

andy wrote:
> I am considering replacing an 8s mtb cassette w/ a SRAM 850 model
> because they are significantly cheaper than shimano xt. Anyone w/
> experience w/ these? Do they wear about the same? Shifting
> performance? Thanx in advance. andy

I had one... gear 8 of the 32-11 cluster would skip CONSTANTLY. I tried
everything... straightening hanger, adjusting derailleur too far outboard,
too far inboard, etc. etc. Nobody at my shop could get it to work. It
might have been my chainline (I run a bashguard) but I think that it was the
cassette. It shifted well though.

Try it and return if it doesn't work perfectly. I personally switched back
to 9-speed.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

on 9/3/2004 9:24 AM andy said the following:
> I am considering replacing an 8s mtb cassette w/ a SRAM 850 model because
> they are significantly cheaper than shimano xt. Anyone w/ experience w/
> these? Do they wear about the same? Shifting performance? Thanx in advance.
> andy

FWIW, I have one (11/32)on my hybrid and no problems. I haven't had any
of the skipping the earlier poster experienced. But then again I'm on a
hybrid so it's not seeing the same stress as an mtb...

The shifts with a Deore derailer are just about flawless. Just an
occasional chunk of freewheeling on an upshift.

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

> I am considering replacing an 8s mtb cassette w/ a SRAM 850 model because
> they are significantly cheaper than shimano xt. Anyone w/ experience w/
> these? Do they wear about the same? Shifting performance? Thanx in

advance.
> andy

I've been running the same cassette you are considering for about 6 months
with no problems to report. If your old cassette is worn out, I would
consider changing out your cassette, chain and chainrings. I do all three
every couple of years (chain much more often), which keeps everything
running smooth. I was a bit skeptical myself but the price is just TOO good
to pass up! A buddy of mine has been racing Cross Country Expert (all SRAM
setup) all summer without any shifting problems.

Read reviews on MTBR.com.