SRAM X9 front mech and Shimano shifters?

Dear group,

can anyone advise if the SRAM X9 2007 front mech would be compatible
with Shimano Deore 9SP shifters from approx 2002 - 2003. I know the
rear mech has a non-shimano-compatible actuation ratio for which they
give some kind of non-convincing reason like "it's better" or
something. More likely it's just a tactic to force people into buying
the shifters with the mechs which I'd rather avoid at the moment.

I have a long term plan to move over to SRAM from shimano, but I'd
prefer not to buy it all at the same time. I'd rather just replace the
shimano bits as they wear out.

Thanks,
Rupert

[email protected] said the following on 01/02/2007 14:03:

> can anyone advise if the SRAM X9 2007 front mech would be compatible
> with Shimano Deore 9SP shifters from approx 2002 - 2003.

AIUI, not a snowball's chance in hell. Shimano shifters have always (in
recent history, at least) had 2:1-ish actuation ratio, whilst the SRAM
is 1:1. If you mix them, you will find that the Shimano lever will take
two clicks to change one gear. If you're lucky. It might be 1.83
clicks or 2.07 clicks. But you would have to decide which half of the
cassette you want to use.

> rear mech has a non-shimano-compatible actuation ratio for which they
> give some kind of non-convincing reason like "it's better" or
> something.

I think the technical reason is to do with the amount of cable that SRAM
pulls being less likely to gunge up, or something.

> I have a long term plan to move over to SRAM from shimano, but I'd
> prefer not to buy it all at the same time.

You don't have to buy it all at the same time. You can buy the
derailleur today. Next quarter you can buy the shifters. Then you can
fit both :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said the following on 01/02/2007 14:03:
>
>> can anyone advise if the SRAM X9 2007 front mech would be compatible
>> with Shimano Deore 9SP shifters from approx 2002 - 2003.

> AIUI, not a snowball's chance in hell. Shimano shifters have always (in
> recent history, at least) had 2:1-ish actuation ratio, whilst the SRAM is
> 1:1. If you mix them, you will find that the Shimano lever will take two
> clicks to change one gear. If you're lucky. It might be 1.83 clicks or
> 2.07 clicks. But you would have to decide which half of the cassette you
> want to use.

"Front mech"

cheers,
clive

<[email protected]> a écrit

> can anyone advise if the SRAM X9 2007 front mech would be compatible
> with Shimano Deore 9SP shifters from approx 2002 - 2003.

SRAM say it's fine. I've had no problems with an X.0 trigger shifter and XT
front mech.

> I know the rear mech has a non-shimano-compatible actuation
> ratio for which they give some kind of non-convincing reason
> like "it's better" or something. More likely it's just a tactic to
> force people into buying the shifters with the mechs which I'd
> rather avoid at the moment.

Their argument is legitimate. Increasing the amount of cable pulled per
shift decreases tension in the cable and strain on the shifter, reduces the
force needed to shift, and reduces indexing errors. It's too bad they
couldn't keep the same standard for their new road groups.

James Thomson

On 01/02/2007 14:55, Clive George said,

> "Front mech"

My excuse was that I sort of replied to the post backwards, and my
comment about the cassette was an afterthought - by which time I'd
forgotten about the first part of the post. It's me age, y'know - I'm
nearly 41 :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Dear group,
>
> can anyone advise if the SRAM X9 2007 front mech would be compatible
> with Shimano Deore 9SP shifters from approx 2002 - 2003. I know the
> rear mech has a non-shimano-compatible actuation ratio for which they
> give some kind of non-convincing reason like "it's better" or
> something. More likely it's just a tactic to force people into buying
> the shifters with the mechs which I'd rather avoid at the moment.

SRAM rear mechs /are/ better, and it /is/ because of the longer cable pull.
It allows more precision in the positioning of the mech. They work more
reliably and stay in adjustment longer. If you look at what the serious XC
racing boys are using, it's 90% SRAM, 10% Shimano.

;; Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.