SS freewheel - okay to pack with grease?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Collin, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. Collin

    Collin Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
    definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
    disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
    winter? I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I
    want to avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I
    take it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
    involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
    weather (2 degrees F is my limit).

    Thanks,

    -Collin

    Tags:

  2. Collin wrote:

    > I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
    > definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
    > disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
    > winter?

    Yes. See the last sentence below:

    > I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I
    > want to avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I
    > take it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
    > involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
    > weather (2 degrees F is my limit).

    I'd oil it with a medium/heavy oil like Phil Wood, and repeat as needed.
    If your bike doesn't yet have full fenders and a front mud flap,
    installing those will greatly increase the live of all of the drivetrain
    parts.

    Sheldon "Oil, Not Grease" Brown
    Santa Cruz, California (visiting my daughter, first time in NorCal.)
    | Always store beer in a dark place |
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 03:08:19 GMT, Collin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
    >definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
    >disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
    >winter?

    Grease can prevent the pawls from engaging if it is heavy enough and
    the springs can't overcome the viscosity. Not a nice feeling, going to
    pedal and spinning air.

    >I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I
    >want to avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I
    >take it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
    >involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
    >weather (2 degrees F is my limit).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >-Collin

    Fenders. And regular maintenance- flushing and reoiling. Maybe a daily
    wipe with a rag sprayed with WD-40?

  4. coneill-<< I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it
    is
    definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
    disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
    winter? >><BR><BR>

    If the grease gets around the pawls, they may stick down, particularly when it
    gets cold and you may join teeth/face to stem. grease not a good idea, oil,
    like Mobil One.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. Collin

    Collin Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > Collin wrote:
    >
    >> I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
    >> definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
    >> disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
    >> winter?

    > Yes. See the last sentence below:
    >
    >> I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I want to
    >> avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I take
    >> it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
    >> involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
    >> weather (2 degrees F is my limit).

    > I'd oil it with a medium/heavy oil like Phil Wood, and repeat as needed.
    > If your bike doesn't yet have full fenders and a front mud flap,
    > installing those will greatly increase the live of all of the drivetrain
    > parts.

    Well, currently I bathe it in motor oil, flushing out the dirty oil. I
    figure that's the best way to get all of the internal parts. I just
    bought fenders yesterday, so I should be all set.

    THanks!

    > Sheldon "Oil, Not Grease" Brown
    > Santa Cruz, California (visiting my daughter, first time in NorCal.)
    > +----------------------------------------------+
    > | Always store beer in a dark place |
    > | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    > +----------------------------------------------+
    > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com
    > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. Collin

    Collin Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > coneill-<< I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it
    > is
    > definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
    > disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
    > winter? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > If the grease gets around the pawls, they may stick down, particularly when it
    > gets cold and you may join teeth/face to stem. grease not a good idea, oil,
    > like Mobil One.

    Yes, I currently flush it with motor oil when it feels dry. I guess
    I'll just have to do this more often in the winter. After reading some
    reviews for the ACS Claws, it appears mine's lasting longer that most
    anyway, probably because I flush the dirt out periodically.

    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Collin wrote:
    > I have an ACS-Claws single speed freewheel. It's pretty nice but it is
    > definitely NOT sealed. Is there any mechanical reason I should not
    > disassemble it and pack it with grease to lengthen its life over the
    > winter? I had a freehub that didn't survive last winter - road salt! I
    > want to avoid the same thing on this freewheel. I'm concerned that if I
    > take it apart, it might be hard to reassemble with the springs and pawls
    > involved, and that grease might inhibit the pawl movement in cold
    > weather (2 degrees F is my limit).

    Yes, several good reasons.
    It's a total PITA, yes, you're likely to screw it up, yes,
    greased pawls are famous for failing in cold weather and, I
    think most compellingly, just running a good oil through it
    now and again is sufficient.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org