Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Standing + Big Gears Always = Knee Problems?

Started by Steve Sr. · · Last activity · 47 posts · 1,847 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 April 2006
Last activity
10 April 2006
Original author
Steve Sr.
Posts
47
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,847
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–47 of 47
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On 6 Apr 2006 09:34:03 -0700, "Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I agree. Check for a real knee problem. I spent a lot of time chasing
    last year down why my left knee had occasional stabbing pains when
    riding and altered all kinds of aspects of my position and bike fit,
    only to find I had a torn meniscus- probably from aikido or a fall when
    cross-country skiing- and needed surgery.

    Knees are peculiar, and there is even a study in the New England
    Journal of Medicine where placebo arthroscopic surgeries had the same
    success rates as the real thing. See http://tinyurl.com/ld8hh . An
    orthopedist I know is also adamant that much knee pain is referred pain
    from the hip. So, the moral of the story is go to a good orthopedist.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    All of this assumes enough rest for the current problem to subside,
    and enough rest between rides to allow adequate recovery. This may
    mean resting for more than a day after a hard ride. In your late 40s
    there's no guarantee that you can adequately recover after a single
    rest day- it will vary by fitness and ride intensity. If you go out
    and your legs feel tired from the previous ride, you haven't rested
    enough. Park the bike and go for a quick walk if you can't control
    the intensity of your ride.

    I wish I could rest that much -- I don't think my legs have felt fresh
    in ten years. I just take a lot of ibuprophen and try to get my knee
    pain to be equal to or less than my back pain. Balance is important. --
    Jay Beattie.

    I seem to find that riding seems to help my back pain which is one
    reason why I am continuing to bicycle. I think that the bent over
    position tends to stretch out my lower back and it takes a couple of
    days before everything tightens back up again. I do notice a distinct
    increase in my lower back pain if I am off the bike for a week due to
    bad weather or injury.

    Steve

  2. Bill Baka said:
    David L. Johnson said:
    jonisaacs said:

    Disclaimer: I think cycling should be fun and enjoyable at every
    moment. Never let training ruin a good ride...

    Amen.


    I tried something today in regards to this thread, riding in top gear
    only and sprinting from a stop until out of leg power, then coasting
    down again, numerous times. These were all standing sprints to see if I
    could duplicate the sore knee problem since I am also in the over the
    hill group at 57. All I managed to do was get winded a little more each
    time and now I have a residual bit of sore leg muscles but no knee
    aches. It might be of some note that I don't clip in and ride with
    sneakers so I can hike when I want, so could it be a matter of pedal
    choices and foot angles? This was the first day without rain in 'Sunny'
    California for about a week, hence this test ride. The stand and sprint
    still just reminds me of running uphill, even when pulling up on the bars.
    ?????
    Is it just me?
    Bill

    Over use injuries usually take some to get to that overuse status. If
    you've been cycling for a while and thus in cycling condition a few
    hard sprints don't constitute overuse.

    I do wonder about your trying to replicate a serious problem. Why would
    you want to have knee pain?

  3. gds said:


    Bill Baka said:
    Quoted message said:


    I tried something today in regards to this thread, riding in top gear
    only and sprinting from a stop until out of leg power, then coasting
    down again, numerous times. These were all standing sprints to see if I
    could duplicate the sore knee problem since I am also in the over the
    hill group at 57. All I managed to do was get winded a little more each
    time and now I have a residual bit of sore leg muscles but no knee
    aches. It might be of some note that I don't clip in and ride with
    sneakers so I can hike when I want, so could it be a matter of pedal
    choices and foot angles? This was the first day without rain in 'Sunny'
    California for about a week, hence this test ride. The stand and sprint
    still just reminds me of running uphill, even when pulling up on the bars.
    ?????
    Is it just me?
    Bill

    Over use injuries usually take some to get to that overuse status. If
    you've been cycling for a while and thus in cycling condition a few
    hard sprints don't constitute overuse.

    I do wonder about your trying to replicate a serious problem. Why would
    you want to have knee pain?

    Because it's little bill, and he is most likely leaving something out.
    Remember, he isn't on a road bike, so who knows what his top gear
    really is. Maybe a 42-12?

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  4. gds said:
    Bill Baka said:
    David L. Johnson said:

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:23:31 -0700, jonisaacs wrote:

    >Disclaimer: I think cycling should be fun and enjoyable at every
    >moment. Never let training ruin a good ride...

    Amen.

    I tried something today in regards to this thread, riding in top gear
    only and sprinting from a stop until out of leg power, then coasting
    down again, numerous times. These were all standing sprints to see if I
    could duplicate the sore knee problem since I am also in the over the
    hill group at 57. All I managed to do was get winded a little more each
    time and now I have a residual bit of sore leg muscles but no knee
    aches. It might be of some note that I don't clip in and ride with
    sneakers so I can hike when I want, so could it be a matter of pedal
    choices and foot angles? This was the first day without rain in 'Sunny'
    California for about a week, hence this test ride. The stand and sprint
    still just reminds me of running uphill, even when pulling up on the bars.
    ?????
    Is it just me?
    Bill

    Over use injuries usually take some to get to that overuse status. If
    you've been cycling for a while and thus in cycling condition a few
    hard sprints don't constitute overuse.

    I do wonder about your trying to replicate a serious problem. Why would
    you want to have knee pain?


    The straight answer is that I shattered my right femur into the knee
    joint when I was 21 and was curious to see if there were things that
    should be avoided. I haven't been cycling that much over the winter
    season due to California's rainy weather. There was also the thought
    that I might find out something to help the OP, but it might just be a
    personal knee problem and not one I have (yet).
    Bill

  5. Jeff Starr said:
    gds said:
    Bill Baka said:

    I tried something today in regards to this thread, riding in top gear
    only and sprinting from a stop until out of leg power, then coasting
    down again, numerous times. These were all standing sprints to see if I
    could duplicate the sore knee problem since I am also in the over the
    hill group at 57. All I managed to do was get winded a little more each
    time and now I have a residual bit of sore leg muscles but no knee
    aches. It might be of some note that I don't clip in and ride with
    sneakers so I can hike when I want, so could it be a matter of pedal
    choices and foot angles? This was the first day without rain in 'Sunny'
    California for about a week, hence this test ride. The stand and sprint
    still just reminds me of running uphill, even when pulling up on the bars.
    ?????
    Is it just me?
    Bill

    Over use injuries usually take some to get to that overuse status. If
    you've been cycling for a while and thus in cycling condition a few
    hard sprints don't constitute overuse.

    I do wonder about your trying to replicate a serious problem. Why would
    you want to have knee pain?

    Because it's little bill, and he is most likely leaving something out.
    Remember, he isn't on a road bike, so who knows what his top gear
    really is. Maybe a 42-12?

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

    46/11!
    Bill

  6. oh geeez - you can painlessly dislocate the entire stucture foolin
    with "big gears"
    try weight lifting a gallon jug or whatever tied to your toes -
    elevating just the lower leg a few inches up to more or less straight
    -slowly
    lubes the structure before riding - aligns surfaces - and gets the
    patellar in shape

  7. "Steve Sr." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    Before I get to the details let me start by saying that I am in my
    late 40's. Before anyone suggests bike fit as a cause let me say that
    the bike fit is good as evidenced by no knee problems until starting
    the above. I have also been riding about 100 miles a week through the
    winter so this isn't a spring over doers thing either.

    I have recently been trying to increase my strength by pushing hills
    while standing and slightly bigger gears sometimes while riding. I
    have noticed an increase in strength but unfortunately my knees don't
    seem able to take the added stress.

    So here I am sitting by the computer with my knee wrapped in an ice
    pack. This is probably patellar tendinitis as the pain seems to come
    from tendons on the top inside and bottom outside of the kneecap. The
    best I can tell is that the knee gets inflamed which then causes
    tendons and such to move out of place causing even more problems.

    So, am I doing something wrong? Other folks I ride with, some younger,
    some older, don't seem to have a problem standing or pushing bigger
    gears. Is there anything I can do to solve this or have I been
    genetically unlucky and born with bad knees? If not I have probably
    reached my cycling limit.

    The saddle is most likely. I had similar pains to what you described. A
    small adjustment in saddle height/angle/position and it disappeared.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.