Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

star nut or compressor for carbon fork?

Started by The P · · Last activity · 8 posts · 639 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 March 2006
Last activity
27 March 2006
Original author
The P
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
639
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just aquired a frame with a carbon fork. The frame has an integrated
    threadless headset. If I have a carbon fork, what sort of locking mechanism
    do I need? I head star nuts are bad for carbon forks. Is it a 'depends on
    ur fork" sort of answer?

  2. The carbon tube fork should come with both a compression plug AND a
    brake nut (which is longer than the one that came with the brake). At
    least, Reynolds comes with both.

    The P said:

    I just aquired a frame with a carbon fork. The frame has an integrated
    threadless headset. If I have a carbon fork, what sort of locking mechanism
    do I need? I head star nuts are bad for carbon forks. Is it a 'depends on
    ur fork" sort of answer?

  3. The P said:

    I just aquired a frame with a carbon fork. The frame has an integrated
    threadless headset. If I have a carbon fork, what sort of locking mechanism
    do I need? I head star nuts are bad for carbon forks. Is it a 'depends on
    ur fork" sort of answer?

    It does indeed depend on your fork. If the fork's steerer is carbon,
    you need the compression nut. Otherwise, use a star nut. (The steerer
    is the part of the fork that extends through the headtube of the bike -
    you should be able to tell at a glance whether it's carbon or metal.)

    -Vee

  4. The P said:

    I just aquired a frame with a carbon fork. The frame has an integrated
    threadless headset. If I have a carbon fork, what sort of locking mechanism
    do I need? I head star nuts are bad for carbon forks. Is it a 'depends on
    ur fork" sort of answer?

    DO NOT use a star fangled type nut in carbon-bad-breaks strands and
    'can' lead to failure. The fork should have a compression plug with it,
    if not see yer good ole bike shop, also for a longer than normal brake
    nut-it's what (the good ones) do.

  5. Quoted message said:

    DO NOT use a star fangled type nut in carbon-bad-breaks strands
    and 'can' lead to failure.

    There are always exceptions to every rule. My Six13 has a full carbon
    fork, including dropouts, and it takes a star nut.

    When I installed it I will admit that it freaked me out a bit whacking
    a star nut into the carbon steerer. But, I figure they know more about
    this stuff than I do.

    http://www.cannondale.com/Asset/iu_files/118667_06_FORK_INSTR_SAVE_SLICE_PREMIUM.pdf

    http://tinyurl.com/oype4

    --
    Mike (Xyzzy)

  6. Michael Vang said:

    When I installed it I will admit that it freaked me out a bit whacking
    a star nut into the carbon steerer. But, I figure they know more about
    this stuff than I do.


    I would have used the Colnago compressor: it's long and safe. A bit heavier
    than other compressors, but it doesn't do any damage. If play in the
    headset would have appeared, you could always have installed that star nut
    later on. I can't imagine it's better than a good compressor.

    Gr, Derk

  7. Michael Vang said:
    Quoted message said:

    DO NOT use a star fangled type nut in carbon-bad-breaks strands
    and 'can' lead to failure.

    There are always exceptions to every rule. My Six13 has a full carbon
    fork, including dropouts, and it takes a star nut.

    When I installed it I will admit that it freaked me out a bit whacking
    a star nut into the carbon steerer. But, I figure they know more about
    this stuff than I do.

    http://www.cannondale.com/Asset/iu_files/118667_06_FORK_INSTR_SAVE_SLICE_PREMIUM.pdf

    http://tinyurl.com/oype4

    --
    Mike (Xyzzy)

    All very pretty, those 240.3 kb of info..but then they limit the
    spacers to 40mm...ya can use a SFN for that fork, but I wouldn't.

  8. On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:27:50 +1100, "The P" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I just aquired a frame with a carbon fork. The frame has an integrated
    threadless headset. If I have a carbon fork, what sort of locking mechanism
    do I need? I head star nuts are bad for carbon forks. Is it a 'depends on
    ur fork" sort of answer?

    I prefer a compressor but my new last 2 Cannondales, an Optimo and a
    CAAD8 come stock with star nuts. I don't know who decides when a
    star nut isn't ok for a cf steer tube.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.