Starter Cleats

Zif

Apr 21, 2015
United States
I bought a bike recently that comes with the strap on pedals. I feel like I won't want to put up with these for long and may want to get into using cleats. What sort of cleats are good for casual riders starting out? I don't need absolute best performance/weight as I don't intend on racing right now, mostly fun and fitness, still I appreciate the benefits of cleats.

Any opinions on the shoes that go with them as well?

Having ridden for almost 45 years with some sort of attachment to the pedals, I don't think clip-ins are a big deal, but the folks at Shimano are listening to folks with concerns and needs like yours, so I suggest you check out what they've done.

Basically, it's a new pedal design, called Click'r, that uses the same SPD cleat as their mountain bike pedal, and is compatible with all shoes with 2-bolt cleat attachment (MTB style). And, they've created a line of shoes specially made for these pedals so you can go into it like a system. The pedals feature easier entry and exit, and the shoes feature a roomier, more comfort-oriented last, and easy walking with a firm but not rigid shank and a moderately treaded sole. Like all MTB shoes, the cleat is recessed.

I haven't been riding for very long. The idea of clipping in makes me SO uncomfortable. I'm not steady enough to give up the freedom of not being clipped in.

It kills me that after almost 30 years on the consumer market (1986-1987) people still think using a cleat/pedal system is difficult or dangerous. So much so that after all this time, shimano had to market an "easy" system. Look already had one on the market but they have, at least in the U.S., never really pushed it on the mass market the way Shimano is doing with the Click'r. The Click'r is not really much different than taking a decent SPD pedal and adjusting the tension down. Yeah, I know they worked on the release point too but still, it's not all that easier.

NONE of the pedal systems are really all that difficult to engage or disengage. A little practice and you should be on your way. Mountain Bikers, with the exception of downhillers, lock in. Think about how quickly and unpredictably they have to release their feet. If they can do it, anyone can do it.

If you think it's har, scary or difficult then you're just wrong.

ABNPFDR said:
It kills me that after almost 30 years on the consumer market (1986-1987) people still think using a cleat/pedal system is difficult or dangerous. So much so that after all this time, shimano had to market an "easy" system. Look already had one on the market but they have, at least in the U.S., never really pushed it on the mass market the way Shimano is doing with the Click'r. The Click'r is not really much different than taking a decent SPD pedal and adjusting the tension down. Yeah, I know they worked on the release point too but still, it's not all that easier.

NONE of the pedal systems are really all that difficult to engage or disengage. A little practice and you should be on your way. Mountain Bikers, with the exception of downhillers, lock in. Think about how quickly and unpredictably they have to release their feet. If they can do it, anyone can do it.

If you think it's har, scary or difficult then you're just wrong.
Yeah it seems like a good idea to me just because the strap in systems seem much more difficult to get in and out of. It's good to hear about a few of these systems. Basically I'll probably just pick one up that's relatively easy to use for casual riding (so with shoes you can walk in a bit etc). I'm not too worried about the difficulty of getting in and out between systems, my understanding is that it's pretty easy as you said here.

kana_marie said:
I haven't been riding for very long. The idea of clipping in makes me SO uncomfortable. I'm not steady enough to give up the freedom of not being clipped in.
I prefer the freedom of just picking up my bike and riding...without the need for bikey shoes, bikey clothes, etc.

But for pure performance, when I am doing a Gran Fondo..its nice. The bike I am picking up tomorrow I got the Shimano A530 pedals which are half platform and half clippy clippy. Hopefully this strikes the compromise I am looking for.

I never heard of the Click'r until now. I've always found the SPD system to be perfectly functional and durable. The cleats are already recessed and work in normal enough shoes. Lock in and release are easy. Best part is that the cleats and pedals are not shimano exclusive.

I'd be hesitant to use a system that released too easily. No cycling shoe is going to be that great or comfortable for walking around or other sports since there is a large cutout on the bottom for the cleat. My guess is that shimano wanted to get some exclusivity back in the SPD and casual biker market. I watched the promotional video, they are no targeting agressive/performance oriented cyclists. All the activities performed in it could be done just as easily with regular SPD pedals and cheap commuter or MTB shoes.

The pedals do have reflectors though.

NJAgent020 said:
The bike I am picking up tomorrow I got the Shimano A530 pedals which are half platform and half clippy clippy. Hopefully this strikes the compromise I am looking for.
I've been using these for commuting and, for me, they're just the ticket. After all those decades with foot attachment, I have trouble keeping my feet on flat pedals.

oldbobcat said:
I've been using these for commuting and, for me, they're just the ticket. After all those decades with foot attachment, I have trouble keeping my feet on flat pedals.
These might be the sort of thing I could use too, seems like it would beat out the strap in shoe baskets in the very least! And I think I'd get good utility out of not needing to use the clips on short rides.

I'm just not ready. Eventually, I'll clip in. I need to wait until I'm steadier and more comfortable. As of right now, I feel like I'm relinquishing control.

Reactions: kana_marie