IS this a good starter bike??

trailrider4ever

Nov 6, 2005
well hello everyone. I am 16 and am looking for a new bike. I currently ride my dad's raleigh m20. It is nice and works great for what i need a bike for. Now i want a bike of my own. Well, ive been looking to upgrade from my walmart mongoose. That has 3 front spokes missing and a terrible bend in each rim. I have looked at the Jeep Cherokee Classic full suspension but people say get a hardtail if you dont got alot of money. Well I really wouldnt mind a hard tail cause thats what ive been riding, but if i can get a good full suspension bike that would be a ton better. I went to Dicks Sportinggoods today and found like my dream bike. It is a North Face Kichatna. Well does anyone know anything about these bikes?? It is $799 at the store on sale and the regular price is $1299. As it is this will take me all winter to earn but it is sooo nice. Here are some of the things it has:
1. Manitou Axel forks
2. Shimano V-Brake shifters and shimano Alivio Dereailer
3. WTB Speedisc wheels
4. xFusion shox made by Glyder i think

this is really all i know abut the bike. I really liked the dampening knob on the rear shock. It was all high tech:D .

Ok i will be mainly riding the road with my freinds. One of my freinds has a specialized Hardrock that is very nice. Me and him do wheelie competions all the time. So thats what i will be doing alot. We also race sometimes around the neigiborhood. And we sometimes ride trails for like dirtbikes and fourwheelers. Would this be a good bike for me? and is there a site were i can find the spes cause i cant find them?? And would the rear shock be upgradeable because im sure i may want to do that.

trailrider4ever said:
well hello everyone. I am 16 and am looking for a new bike. I currently ride my dad's raleigh m20. It is nice and works great for what i need a bike for. Now i want a bike of my own. Well, ive been looking to upgrade from my walmart mongoose. That has 3 front spokes missing and a terrible bend in each rim. I have looked at the Jeep Cherokee Classic full suspension but people say get a hardtail if you dont got alot of money. Well I really wouldnt mind a hard tail cause thats what ive been riding, but if i can get a good full suspension bike that would be a ton better. I went to Dicks Sportinggoods today and found like my dream bike. It is a North Face Kichatna. Well does anyone know anything about these bikes?? It is $799 at the store on sale and the regular price is $1299. As it is this will take me all winter to earn but it is sooo nice. Here are some of the things it has:
1. Manitou Axel forks
2. Shimano V-Brake shifters and shimano Alivio Dereailer
3. WTB Speedisc wheels
4. xFusion shox made by Glyder i think

this is really all i know abut the bike. I really liked the dampening knob on the rear shock. It was all high tech:D .

Ok i will be mainly riding the road with my freinds. One of my freinds has a specialized Hardrock that is very nice. Me and him do wheelie competions all the time. So thats what i will be doing alot. We also race sometimes around the neigiborhood. And we sometimes ride trails for like dirtbikes and fourwheelers. Would this be a good bike for me? and is there a site were i can find the spes cause i cant find them?? And would the rear shock be upgradeable because im sure i may want to do that.
And why a full suspension POS to ride on the road? Totally rigid rules the road.

boudreaux said:
And why a full suspension POS to ride on the road? Totally rigid rules the road.
I totally agree with boudreaux.
If you're going to riding mostly on the road get a hardtail.
You can get a North Face Yavapai or Pumori (made by Ironhorse).
These are in the $259 to $359 range.
The components are good and you save a ton of money.

trailrider4ever said:
someone must know!!!!
If your only going to be blasting around the streets with your mates have you thought about buying a dirt jumper.All the big companies have brought at least one out in there range this year.It would be alot easier pedling than a full sus and alot lighter.On top of that there built as hard as nails so would last you a long time resonably cheap to buy and you would be the coolest kid on the block.

EX2 said:
If your only going to be blasting around the streets with your mates have you thought about buying a dirt jumper.
Definitely a good suggestion.
I'd stay away from a FS bike for streets they're just not made for that kind of riding.
That is - unless your streets go down at a 70 degree angle with a lot of 10 ft. drops
and are covered with logs and large rocks. :eek:

Seriuosly think about a dirt jumper.

trailrider4ever said:
i will have to look into one, but is the bike im looking at somewhat of a quaility bike??
Trek,Kona,Specilized,GT, All make really good dirt jumpers what you are looking at is a hardtail with extra strenth built into the frame and components to make a bike that will stand up to the kind of riding you describe. Most come with good spec sus forks and cost between 450-600 pounds not sure about dollars.