triathlon bike for starter

bicycle_disciple

Guest
hey guys,

whats a good triathlon bike for starters. budget is not more than 2000
dollars.

This is a great deal for people just starting out in triathlon, and
it's within your price range (~$1800)

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...p+Mix+Bike&vendorCode=CERVELO&major=1&minor=1

Unsolicited advice: if you go on a group training ride, do not use your
aero bars--that is, you should stick to the "cow horn" parts of your
handlebars. People who attempt to ride in the aero position in a pack
end up being a little squirrely and put others in danger. It's
considered poor form.

Good luck!

Jason

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> whats a good triathlon bike for starters. budget is not more than 2000
> dollars.

Not being that familiar with traithlon, what would make it different
from a regular road bike?

catzz66 wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
> > hey guys,
> >
> > whats a good triathlon bike for starters. budget is not more than 2000
> > dollars.
> >

> Not being that familiar with traithlon, what would make it different
> from a regular road bike?

A tri bike as I understand it is more or less a time-trial bike with a
rider position that is not influenced so much by the rider's "normal"
position. In other words, triathletes only ride time trials so their
set-up can be 100% time trial specific. A road rider rides mostly on
the road, so their position is dictated by this. So when they
occasioanly ride a time-trial, they do not drastically alter their
position, and rather stick to a position more similar to their road
position.

In practice this means steep seat tubes and other geometry to
accomodate a very forward and low upper body.

I think only a very dedicated triathlete "needs" a tri-specific bike. A
road bike (with aero bars) is more versatile and only slows down the
most serious of triathletes.

Joseph

joseph, i have a specialized allez AL frame, which is an entry level
road bike. i wonder if anyone here supports the idea of installing
aerobars on the bike (i mean, do people ride like that on road bikes,
if not on a specific tri bike?). i thought this might be a cheaper
option and im not that much of a triathlete either but i would love to
take part in one soon.

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> joseph, i have a specialized allez AL frame, which is an entry level
> road bike. i wonder if anyone here supports the idea of installing
> aerobars on the bike (i mean, do people ride like that on road bikes,
> if not on a specific tri bike?). i thought this might be a cheaper
> option and im not that much of a triathlete either but i would love to
> take part in one soon.

Go for it! Don't even bother with the tri bars, they will only make a
difference if there is a danger of you winning! You don't need special
gear to try. Just enter and see how it goes. As you get more specific
with your direction, you can add aero bars and see what sort of
difference that makes, and maybe someday get a tri-specific bike if you
really get interested.

I know people who have done triathlons on department-store mountain
bikes. Your bike will be fine, and you can add a clip-on aerobar later
if you like. Just make sure you practice with the aerobars, as they
take some time to get used to.

Have fun!

Joseph

"bicycle_disciple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey guys,
>
> whats a good triathlon bike for starters. budget is not more than 2000
> dollars.

I've been tempted by http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12998
(Specialized Transition) for time trial and duathlon. I'm not going to get
one until I'm considerably faster on my current bike!

You might want to consider a 'normal' road bike if you're entering
draft-legal events, or need to get big mileage in, or you're just starting
out.

Oh, and try and enjoy it!

Skippy
E&OE

On 28 Apr 2006 09:41:26 -0700, "bicycle_disciple" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>joseph, i have a specialized allez AL frame, which is an entry level
>road bike. i wonder if anyone here supports the idea of installing
>aerobars on the bike (i mean, do people ride like that on road bikes,
>if not on a specific tri bike?).

Sure, no reason to not do that. You'll know when you need to take the next step
with a tri specific bike. As a beginner you'll lose far more time on your own
than riding a road bike would cost you.

> i thought this might be a cheaper
>option and im not that much of a triathlete either but i would love to
>take part in one soon.

Get out there. Either take the road bike as is, or if you've got enough time
before the next race to get used to them get some clip-ons.

Ron