Steel Frames: Surly, Gunnar, Soma

I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.

Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
these three brands compare in value?

Thanks.

On Feb 22, 5:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
> the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
> fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
> chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
> to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.
>
> Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
> are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
> these three brands compare in value?
>
> Thanks.

I can't think of a better value than a Surly LHT complete bike which
goes for under $1K. It's classically specced:

Rims Alex Adventurer
Hubs Shimano Deore XT
Spokes DT Swiss stainless-steel, 14g
Tires WTB Slickasaurus, 700 x 35c
Crankset Sugino XD600
Chainwheel 48/36/26
Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra
Rear Derailleur Shiamano Deore XT
Rear Cogs Shimano Deore, 11-34
Shifters Shimano bar-end
Brake Levers Tektro aluminum
Brakes Tektro Oryx cantilever

http://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=9329

54" and under have 26" wheels.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Feb 22, 5:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
>> the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
>> fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
>> chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
>> to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.
>>
>> Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
>> are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
>> these three brands compare in value?
>>
>> Thanks.

> I can't think of a better value than a Surly LHT complete bike which
> goes for under $1K. It's classically specced:
>
> Rims Alex Adventurer
> Hubs Shimano Deore XT
> Spokes DT Swiss stainless-steel, 14g
> Tires WTB Slickasaurus, 700 x 35c
> Crankset Sugino XD600
> Chainwheel 48/36/26
> Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra
> Rear Derailleur Shiamano Deore XT
> Rear Cogs Shimano Deore, 11-34
> Shifters Shimano bar-end
> Brake Levers Tektro aluminum
> Brakes Tektro Oryx cantilever
>
> http://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=9329
>
> 54" and under have 26" wheels.

Can't agree more. One thing, it only comes in brown or green (IIRC), so
hope wife doesn't mind either color.

[email protected] aka Pat McShane wrote:
> I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
> the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
> fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
> chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
> to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.
>
> Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
> are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
> these three brands compare in value?
>
> Thanks.

Of the three brands, I would buy the Gunnar since it is made by people
who are practically my neighbors. Your idea of value may differ.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
> the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
> fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
> chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
> to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.
>
> Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
> are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
> these three brands compare in value?
>
> Thanks.

I have a Gunnar Sport and a Surly Pacer. The Gunnar is lighter, has better
tubing, beautiful welds, and show car quality paint. The Surly is heavier
and not as well made, but it rides great.

If money is a concern, Surly is the way to go. If you want to support
American workers---buy a Gunnar.

bianchi volpe may be the best bargain

On Feb 22, 3:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
> the bike for commuting and longer day rides.  Thus it will need
> fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
> chainstays, very stable geometry.  In essence what some may consider
> to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.
>
> Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
> are getting a bit pricey.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
> these three brands compare in value?
>
> Thanks.

My husband has the Soma Smoothie ES and loves it. It fits your
specs. I looked at both Soma and Surly, and it seems like Soma makes
a lighter bike. However, neither of those manufacturers make a bike
that would fit me (too long in the top tube), so keep the geometry in
mind when shopping for your wife.

Jenn

thejen12 wrote:
> On Feb 22, 3:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
>> the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
>> fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
>> chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
>> to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.
>>
>> Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
>> are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
>> these three brands compare in value?
>>
>> Thanks.

> My husband has the Soma Smoothie ES and loves it. It fits your
> specs. I looked at both Soma and Surly, and it seems like Soma makes
> a lighter bike. However, neither of those manufacturers make a bike
> that would fit me (too long in the top tube), so keep the geometry in
> mind when shopping for your wife.

Gunnar makes full custom geometry versions of their frames, if that is
needed for proper fit: <http://www.gunnarbikes.com/custom.php>. $1075 to
$1175 for a custom, hand made frame is a good deal.

I love my Gunnar Sport. I run fenders, 28's (I've even run 32's) and front
and rear racks and taken it touring in the Ozarks Mountains, on the Katy
Trail, and various places in Kansas (which is not always flat!)

Then I put 25's on it, take off the fenders and racks, and spring and summer
keep up with the fast guys on road rides. Its a perfect century bike,
comfortable for an all day ride and light enough to be fast (enough for me
anyway). Last year had an awesome ride on Triple Bypass in Colorado. That's
where the quality frame really shone, as I was able to ascend faster than
anyone around me and it was perfectly stable flying down the mountains.

I am looking for a heavier duty touring bike, though, as I'm pushing the
limits on this bike when I'm fully loaded (50lbs including stove, camp gear,
tent, etc). I've been looking at the Surly Long Haul Trucker, but I'm not
looking forward to the stablity/strength/weight tradeoff that bike offers.
But for real long distance touring I know I can't keep overloading the
Gunnar if I want it to be around 25 years like my Trek commuter.

Good luck
Jack