Stem sizes! Confused

crazney

Nov 27, 2004
Hi folks,

So I've decided I'm going to get drop handlebars for my hybrid / touring bike. It currently has flat handle bars.

Supergo.com seems to be *much* cheaper than the Aussie retailers for the stuff I need (shifters, handlebars, stem).. But I'm a little confused about stem sizes.

The various Stems on supergo seem to fit either a 1" or 1 1/8" 'steer tube'. I guess that's like the headset or something?
How do I know what I need, what do I measure on my bike to determine what sorta stem I need?

Thanks!

David

Ok, so I took my stem off, and tried measuring stuff.. But I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to measure.

Depending on the ruler used and whether I measure on the inside or the outside of the tube (steer tube?) that the stem was attached to, it's either 1" or 1 1/8".. Most give me somewhere just on the other side of those figures for inside vs outside respectively.

Still confused ;-).

Perhaps I'll just order a 1 1/8" one that has a 1" shim?

Your bike probably is 1&1/8, see http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems.html for some help. It is the outside diameter of the steerer tube, check if threaded or threadless.

I am a little concerned that this project may be too much too soon.

A hybrid is not a road bike, the basic frame geometry is MTB based and not road, as are the components. My earlier suggestion for Road Ends from http://endless-innovations.com/ still stands. They are designed for "transport stages" of MTB racing. Easily removed for the rough and refitted for the bitumen.

Best to get some help from an experienced bike mechanic, its not just about levers, shifters, its the balance and geometry of the whole bike.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice.

I do intend to go and talk to my LBS today about it all.

I'm a little concerned about those bar ends, for the some other guy raised on the thread. (Furthermore, my flat handlebar and stem need replacing anyhow.. so this is the opportune time).

I used a shifter as a vernier (heh) and confirmed the outside of the steerer tube is 1 1/8 inch. (Unthreaded)

Thanks again,

David.

Hrm, looks like those Ultegra shifters are under high demand anyhow. In the last 24 hours both Performance Bike and Supergo have marked them 'Out of stock' ;(.

And for the third reply in a row..

Well, I talked to my local bike dude, at Simon from Peter Moore's, (such a legend). He reckons my bike geometry is pretty good for a hybrid when it comes to fitting drops. So I'm going to do it. Ordered the shifters today.

Ah man, I'm so going to be broke by the time this is done. Measured my chain today, I need a new one. Probably should get a new casette and middle chainring to.

OK, if into the chain stuff, consider cranks, 52-42-30, cassette, 10speed, 11-27 (26" wheel) or (12-25, 700c), yes it is cheaper now to go 10 speed Ultegra.

See how the RD & FD handle it, may be change them too.

Good luck with the project, and stay with the LBS for the tricky stuff.. just for curiosity, what was the original bike?

It 'was' a shogun Metro GS.

Though Currently I've replaced everything but the drivetrain, frame and the two rims. Shortly it'll just be the frame and the two rims.

I doubt I'll go for the 10 speed, as the shifter I'm getting is 9 speed.

Thanks for all your help!

David