Stepping up in pedals.

frride80

Oct 14, 2004
I have had the same set of speedplay pedals since I started recreationally road biking (the ones with 15 degrees of float) two years ago. I am now racing and want less float because I feel that I am worrying too much about the positions of my feet. I am open to a new line, but I like the ease of the speedplays. I am not sure what the right pedal for me is, or how less float will positively or negatively affect my pedaling. I am looking for improved performance, if that can be obtianed from a different pedal. Any imput on fitting would be good. I typicllay spin with my heels in, sometimes brushing the crank arm, but I am also comfortable with my feet straight. I am slightly worried that it is the ability to change my position is helping my knee.

frride80 said:
I have had the same set of speedplay pedals since I started recreationally road biking (the ones with 15 degrees of float) two years ago. I am now racing and want less float because I feel that I am worrying too much about the positions of my feet. I am open to a new line, but I like the ease of the speedplays. I am not sure what the right pedal for me is, or how less float will positively or negatively affect my pedaling. I am looking for improved performance, if that can be obtianed from a different pedal. Any imput on fitting would be good. I typicllay spin with my heels in, sometimes brushing the crank arm, but I am also comfortable with my feet straight. I am slightly worried that it is the ability to change my position is helping my knee.

The Zeroes of course have adjustable free-float. But, I run the stopscrews wide-open on mine for max float.

Don't understand why the free-float is a problem for you. Your feet should just point more-or-less straight ahead without thinking about it. If you have any issues with feet or knee alignment, I'd think the speedplays would be the best way to go to protect the joints.

You could always buy some pedals with fixed cleats if you think your pedaling would improve without the float. I rode fixed cleats for many years before switching to speedplays, and now prefer the free-float.

I guess the question would be whether 15 degrees of float is beter or worse than 25?

dhk said:
The Zeroes of course have adjustable free-float. But, I run the stopscrews wide-open on mine for max float.

Don't understand why the free-float is a problem for you. Your feet should just point more-or-less straight ahead without thinking about it. If you have any issues with feet or knee alignment, I'd think the speedplays would be the best way to go to protect the joints.

You could always buy some pedals with fixed cleats if you think your pedaling would improve without the float. I rode fixed cleats for many years before switching to speedplays, and now prefer the free-float.

frride80 said:
I guess the question would be whether 15 degrees of float is beter or worse than 25?

it's not a question of better or worse, it's what you feel more comfortable with. if you don't know you have to try.

frride80 said:

You can adjust the Zero's down to no float at all, like a fixed cleat, as well as control the toe-in/out stops independently. So if you want to experiment, seems to me they would be ideal for you.

The new Shimano SPD SL pedals (Dura Ace or Ultegra) have about 6 degrees of float, for me this has been enough to keep it easy on my knees and ankles but not so much that I feel I can get out of position to easily. I too ride this my toes pointed out a bit. These are also much easier to clip into compared to the old Shimano SPD-R pedals. The only downside is that the Dura Ace pedals go for $175 - $215:eek:

Thank to all for the input. I do like the ability to enter from eith side so I will likely go with the Zero's. As far as knee pain is concerned...I have been fooling with my sadle height and some improper positions are the likly culprits. :D

frride80 said:
Thank to all for the input. I do like the ability to enter from eith side so I will likely go with the Zero's. As far as knee pain is concerned...I have been fooling with my sadle height and some improper positions are the likly culprits. :D

I wouldn't worry about the float. Some studies of indicated that having float does not effect pedaling efficiency. I don't have the studies in front of me, but I dismember reading some.