General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Stone Soup

Started by Dan Abel · · Last activity · 25 posts · 746 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 November 2005
Last activity
18 November 2005
Original author
Dan Abel
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
746
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. sf said:

    I didn't grow up with it, but I've known the story for so long that I
    feel like I did.

    What makes me wonder is the comic strip.... what the heck is that all
    about? It's not in my newspaper as far as I know, so I guess it's
    time for Andy to post one or two strips.

    sf,

    Here's a link to the Stone Soup comic strip with some background info.
    Don't know how it relates to the story that was relayed here but
    anyway...

    http://www.ucomics.com/stonesoup/

    All the best,

    Andy

  2. Tara said:


    Ranee Mueller said:

    It reminds me to make sure we tell the story to our kids. The
    version I heard growing up was a little bit different than the version
    Dan posted, but close enough.

    Fewer and fewer kids know traditional stories -- folktales, fairy
    tales, fables, Mother Goose, Peter Rabbit. They just don't hear them.
    It's a shame; I think our society loses something when we don't share
    stories and have that common language to draw from.

    OB food: I remember a Peter Rabbit cookbook I checked out from the
    library when I was maybe in first grade. It had a recipe for Mr.
    McGregor's vegetable soup that contained shredded cabbage. We had
    never put cabbage in vegetable soup before, but my mom made that
    recipe for me and it was delicious.

    Our first grade reading book contains the story "From Seeds to
    Zucchini." I have never had a student who had tasted a zucchini, so
    each year I bring a raw zucchini and let everyone taste it sliced and
    dipped in ranch dressing. Some students are very skittish about
    trying it. I tell everyone to try a tiny bite. Most like it after
    trying it. Everything is good with ranch dressing!

    Tara

    Oh Tara..was Mr McGregor the one with the Maggie Muggins character in
    the book. I remember that from my childhood (late 40's - early 50's)

  3. On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:55:39 -0800, sf <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Where do you teach, Tara, and why don't I see you in k12.chat.teacher?

    I teach near Atlanta. I taught first grade until this year. Now I
    teach EIP (Early Intervention Program) reading and math to grades 2
    through 5. I'll have to give the teacher newsgroup a look.

    Tara

  4. biig said:

    Oh Tara..was Mr McGregor the one with the Maggie Muggins character in
    the book. I remember that from my childhood (late 40's - early 50's)

    I don't know Maggie Muggins! Mr. McGregor is the farmer in Peter
    Rabbit.

    Tara

  5. On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:52:40 -0800, sf <[email hidden]>
    connected the dots and wrote:

    ~On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:03:15 -0800, Ranee Mueller wrote:
    ~
    ~> In article <[email hidden]>, Andy <q>
    ~> wrote:
    ~>
    ~> > Dan,
    ~> >
    ~> > Nice story!
    ~> >
    ~> > There's a comic strip called "Stone Soup" and I always wondered
    what it
    ~> > meant.
    ~> >
    ~> > Thanks,
    ~> >
    ~> > Andy
    ~>
    ~> Did you really grow up never hearing that story? I can't
    imagine.
    ~>
    ~> Regards,
    ~> Ranee
    ~>
    ~I didn't grow up with it, but I've known the story for so long that I
    ~feel like I did.
    ~
    ~What makes me wonder is the comic strip.... what the heck is that all
    ~about? It's not in my newspaper as far as I know, so I guess it's
    ~time for Andy to post one or two strips.

    Probably because they keep throwing this that and the other into the
    mix, and end up with a family.

    maxine in ri

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.