Stopping and un-cleating - what's your technique?

Originally posted by RossB
I appreciate that this is a very basic question, but I've only been cycling now for about a week on my new Trek 1500, after an absence from cycling of many years. It is the first time I have used clipless pedals (Look 357) and like most people, I am having some difficulty getting used to them, and have had a few falls.

What I'd like to know is the proper technique for slowing, stopping, and unclipping from the pedals. I normally slow, rotate the pedals so that one foot is at the bottom of the rotation, unclip that foot just before the bike stops, move forward from the seat to stand over the top tube, and then lean sideways so that the unclipped foot can contact the ground (though sometimes I have leaned in the other direction and fallen on my unclipped side). I generally find it impossible to unclip from the pedals unless the foot is at the bottom of a pedal rotation. Does this sound like the correct technique? Are there other ways of doing it?

I would suggest switching to Speedplay pedals. These are the easiest pedals to get in or out of in any situation. I LOVE MY SPEEDPLAY ZERO's!!! They kick can over any pedal I have raced in my whole career. If you go Speedplay, you'll never go back.

Best Wishes,
Vector7

For anyone who has problems getting out of the pedals, I recommend this. First loosen the tension on them, but not to loose that you come out inadvertently. This will make it easier to unclip. Second, go out and work on your balance. The idea here is that you will have more time before you fall on your side to get out of the pedals if your balance is better. Try riding the line on the side of the road perfectly. Concentrate on your spinning and stay straight. Then try riding no handed, then try hovering at slow speed.

PS. Vector7, wher were you when I was asking about the speedplay pedals?

Originally posted by jitteringjr
For anyone who has problems getting out of the pedals, I recommend this. First loosen the tension on them, but not to loose that you come out inadvertently. This will make it easier to unclip. Second, go out and work on your balance. The idea here is that you will have more time before you fall on your side to get out of the pedals if your balance is better. Try riding the line on the side of the road perfectly. Concentrate on your spinning and stay straight. Then try riding no handed, then try hovering at slow speed.

PS. Vector7, wher were you when I was asking about the speedplay pedals?

I just found this forum today. I wish I could have helped earlier. =)

Best Wishes,
Vector7