Below about -30C I would have said that gas was essentially useless and would prefer to use petrol. One trick that is worth doing is warming the gas canister up in slightly warm water. Of course - you have to get it running first in order to get warm water......
Optimus advise against petrol designed for cars because of the additives used but I would like to here if any others use petrol and if they have any problems
I used a Coleman unleaded petrol stove for many years without problems using ordinary unleaded fuel straight from the pump. My brother used the same stove and started suffering from problems much sooner. The stove in question has a built-in cleaning thingy and it states clearly in the instructions that every time you turn the stove off you should turn it back on and off at least three times to clean the nozzle (the pressure blows the nozzle clean). These instructions I followed to the letter, often turning it on and off more than three times (I'd keep doing it until I heard the gas blowing through it cleanly). I don't think my brother bothered to follow these instructions though, which is why he suffered clogging problems much sooner than I did.
Great stove though, until it eventually started getting clogged, but it lasted for years before it did though.
Below about -30C I would have said that gas was essentially useless and would prefer to use petrol. One trick that is worth doing is warming the gas canister up in slightly warm water. Of course - you have to get it running first in order to get warm water......
Take a flask with you...
Paul
I'd have needed on this morning! It was about -9 up on the Glyders when I pryed my eyelids open just before dawn.
F***** brilliant these petrol stoves though. No problems lighting the bugger, looks like a flare stack.
Anyone seen a pair of eyebrows btw. I appear to have lost mine somehow.
Wasn't it a brilliant day though. -- 79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick - looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.