Stress fracture of the tibia

Brian Wakem

Guest
I believe I have a stress fracture of the right tibia.

I have had a lot of pain at the top of the right shin, about an inch below
the knee, since Friday.  The bone hurts when I touch it in the specific
area.  Running aggravates its tremendously.

I have done my research and everything suggests it's a stress fracture.  I
will need to see a physio to confirm, but I don't see what else it could
be.

The only way to fix it is at least 6-8 weeks total rest - not that I can run
anyway - I am scratching the walls already.

I blame the dark nights which have enforced a change of surface.

Anybody here had a stress fracture?

--
Brian Wakem

Brian Wakem <[email protected]> wrote:
> I believe I have a stress fracture of the right tibia.

> I have had a lot of pain at the top of the right shin, about an inch below
> the knee, since Friday.The bone hurts when I touch it in the specific
> area. Running aggravates its tremendously.

> I have done my research and everything suggests it's a stress fracture. I
> will need to see a physio to confirm, but I don't see what else it could
> be.

Sorry to hear that, Brian.

Did this just start all of a sudden on Friday? Just like that?

IIRC, you had ramped up your mileage at a pretty quick rate.
Do you think that has anything to do with this?

> The only way to fix it is at least 6-8 weeks total rest - not that I can run
> anyway - I am scratching the walls already.

6-8 weeks rest and then build up s l o w l y :)
This might be a good time to get out those logs
and fire up a perl script to extract some pearls of wisdom.

> I blame the dark nights which have enforced a change of surface.

> Anybody here had a stress fracture?

Check out Karen aka joe positive in the Training Week thread.
She's been taking pool running to a different level ever since
she got her stress fracture.

Heal well.

jobs

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:03:18 +0000, Brian Wakem <[email protected]> wrote:

>I believe I have a stress fracture of the right tibia.
>
>I have had a lot of pain at the top of the right shin, about an inch below
>the knee, since Friday.  The bone hurts when I touch it in the specific
>area.  Running aggravates its tremendously.
>
>I have done my research and everything suggests it's a stress fracture.  I
>will need to see a physio to confirm, but I don't see what else it could
>be.
>
>The only way to fix it is at least 6-8 weeks total rest - not that I can run
>anyway - I am scratching the walls already.
>
>I blame the dark nights which have enforced a change of surface.
>
>Anybody here had a stress fracture?

I have one. Fibula, not tibia. Yours is worse, because the tibia
bears weight.

I haven't run a step in 5 weeks, and I've been in a walking boot for 4
weeks. I've spent lots of time pool running, and lots and lots and
lots of time in the gym doing whatever xtraining was allowed - rowing,
elliptical, recumbent bike, whatever. I see the doc tomorrow, and
with any luck at all, he'll allow me to start running - short, slow,
and easy for a while.

I'm sure that some people take it much more stoically than I have.
But if you're scratching the walls now, you'll probably scratch harder
before it's all over. Take care not to make things worse, but do all
the crosstraining you can, as soon as you can tolerate it. It will be
hateful, but it will do you good. Go to a doctor; maybe you'll find
it's not a stress fracture at all. Good luck.

Karen

--
live! vicariously!

Brian:

Ouch! I had that exact same stress fracture. And it hurt like hell. I
didn't know it at first because I thought the pain was in the knee
itself. My doc ordered a bone-scan of the knee and the tech just happened
to pick up enough of the top of my shin to find the bright, white hot-
spot on the screen (by the way, it couldn't be seen on a normal x-ray;
only on the bone-scan).

It did, indeed, take almost the full 8 weeks to recover. But that was, in
part, enforced by me. I knew I had caused the injury by overtraining, so
I made sure I gave it a couple weeks beyond "it feels better" to make
sure. It seemed better to give it two extra weeks than to reinjure and
have to start counting eight all over again...

Brian Wakem wrote:

> I believe I have a stress fracture of the right tibia.
>
> I have had a lot of pain at the top of the right shin, about an inch below
> the knee, since Friday. The bone hurts when I touch it in the specific
> area. Running aggravates its tremendously.
>
> I have done my research and everything suggests it's a stress fracture. I
> will need to see a physio to confirm, but I don't see what else it could
> be.

6 years ago I thought I had stress fractures and it turned out to be
anterior compartment syndrome. I believe the symptoms are a bit
different and with the ACS the pain would start about a mile into the
run, get worse and taper off after a few miles. Eventually the pain came
earlier, stayed longer, and got severe enough to make me walk. Surgery
cured it pretty quick.

JJ

>have had a lot of pain at the top of the right shin, about an inch below
>the knee, since Friday.  The bone hurts when I touch it in the specific
>area.

yup, sounds right. i was off for 6 weeks from running, though i was able to
maintain a walking program that matched my usual weekly miles running so i was
not going completely mad from exercise withdrawal.
the xray showed a very mild fracture and i was back to a running/walking
schedule in the 7th week.

good luck,
cs

6 - 8 weeks?

Ummm, yeah...okay....have a seat for a minute. It's time for a terrible
reality break here.

A stress fracture is, quite physically, a "broken leg". We can think of it
as a "bruise" or another minor injury, but it's the bone which has suffered,
and this requires rebuilding.

It takes significantly more than 2 months for a tibia to build a callus over
the fractured area, strong enough to support the pressure from running.

6 to 8 weeks?

Try more like 12 to 16 if you're lucky!

I'm sure there are those out here who will say 8 weeks is long enough, but
if you begin running again after 8 weeks, your weakened callus, over the
fracture, will break down and you'll have to start your recovery all over
again.

I'll agree that if you quit all running activity for a minimum of 8 weeks,
you can begin short walks for several weeks, and can introduce slow "jogs"
after 10 weeks....but 6 to 8 week to start running?

Noooo....sadly...nooooo....don't do it, been there...done
that....baaaaad...idea....(actually "bad" isn't a strong enough
word....CATASTROPHIC is more like it!).

Take a long break.

Good luck

- Steve

"Newsdude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Brian:
>
> Ouch! I had that exact same stress fracture. And it hurt like hell. I
> didn't know it at first because I thought the pain was in the knee
> itself. My doc ordered a bone-scan of the knee and the tech just happened
> to pick up enough of the top of my shin to find the bright, white hot-
> spot on the screen (by the way, it couldn't be seen on a normal x-ray;
> only on the bone-scan).
>
> It did, indeed, take almost the full 8 weeks to recover. But that was, in
> part, enforced by me. I knew I had caused the injury by overtraining, so
> I made sure I gave it a couple weeks beyond "it feels better" to make
> sure. It seemed better to give it two extra weeks than to reinjure and
> have to start counting eight all over again...
>

> Brian Wakem <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > I believe I have a stress fracture of the right tibia.
> >
> > I have had a lot of pain at the top of the right shin, about an inch
> > below the knee, since
> > Friday. The bone hurts when I touch it in the specific
> > area. Running aggravates its tremendously.
> >
> > I have done my research and everything suggests it's a stress
> > fracture. I will need to see a physio to confirm, but I don't see
> > what else it could be.
> >
> > The only way to fix it is at least 6-8 weeks total rest - not that I
> > can run anyway - I am scratching the walls already.
> >
> > I blame the dark nights which have enforced a change of surface.
> >
> > Anybody here had a stress fracture?
> >

>It takes significantly more than 2 months for a tibia to build a callus over
>the fractured area, strong enough to support the pressure from running.

Complete nonsense. Fractures heal to original strength in 2 months, sometimes
far less.

>6 to 8 weeks?
>
>Try more like 12 to 16 if you're lucky!

Maybe if you're 70 years old.

>I'm sure there are those out here who will say 8 weeks is long enough, but
>if you begin running again after 8 weeks, your weakened callus, over the
>fracture, will break down and you'll have to start your recovery all over
>again.

More nonsense. I've had a few stress fractures, and I return to full mileage
after 6 weeks stronger than before, and I've never had a reinjury to one.
>Noooo....sadly...nooooo....don't do it, been there...done
>that....baaaaad...idea....(actually "bad" isn't a strong enough
>word....CATASTROPHIC is more like it!).
>
>Take a long break.

You must be a slow healer.

<Noooo....sadly...nooooo....don't do it, been there...done
>that....baaaaad...idea....(actually "bad" isn't a strong enough
>word....CATASTROPHIC is more like it!).>

Who said that?
Are you the infamous Cat
Astrologer?
Or a mere
Philosopher?
_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

[fabrunner]
<< >Take a long break.

You must be a slow healer. >>
No Greyhound, he.
_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

[fab]
<< >No Greyhound, he.
No Whippit either.>><

Who knew?

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

<< >Who knew?
Knewman

Ah, indeed ~
Please bring Joanie, too,
Great bud to Ms.
Helen Keller.
O, some salad dressing, too!

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

>Knewman
> >>

>Ah, indeed ~
>Please bring Joanie, too,

Last I knew, Knewman was doing Cramers mother, and Joanie was out.

<< >Ah, indeed ~
>Please bring Joanie, too,

Last I knew, Knewman was doing Cramers mother, and Joanie was out. >>

whatever.
Ms. Joan Bennent,
Come on down...
Announce the News!
Anchor Morning Wood ~
Over & Out.,
Joanbenenet
ABC News.

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

<<
Just run through it, Nancy. >>

....and you can do it,
too ~

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

Nonsense?

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I have to insist that I'm correct in my
previous comments.

I am happy to hear that you have the capacity for fast healing. 6 weeks
from micro-fracture to full repair is quite impressive, but unfortunatly
that vast majority of patients who suffer stress fractures go on to
re-injure them following the ill advice that you are attempting to give.

I'm not at all surprised that you've had a "few" stress fractures. I've
been fortunate enough to have it happen only once...perhaps because I gave
mine ample time to heal?

The fact that you've had multiple stress fractures does not give your advice
much credibility, nor does it support your claim of being a "fabulust"
runner...reckless? Perhaps...but fabulous? Doubtful.

Brian: Take at least 12 weeks off. The more time you take off, the better
your tibia will heal and the stronger the reconstruction will be.
"Fabulust" is correct about only one thing: the tibia will be stronger if
you give it time to heal.

But only 6 months? That's just silly.

- S

news:[email protected]...