Study into the uptake of cycling following cancer diagnosis - any help?

UniCycle

Mar 5, 2006
Hi all,

I am currently doing a dissertations at Exeter University to do with the uptake of, or increase in exercise such as cycling or running following cancer diagnosis or any other serious illness.

Some of you are more than likely to have heard of the inspirational story of Jane Tomlinson who, since being diagnosed with terminal cancer, has participated in marathons, cycling events and even the iron man.

Her story has made me keen to hear from more people about their new experiences with their bodies and exercise following a diagnosis such as cancer. I am interested to find out about how exercise is used as a coping strategy for people, bringing them hope and confidence in themselves.

If anyone has any opinions or experiences they would be willing to share it would be wonderful.

Cheers Hannah x

UniCycle said:
Hi all,

I am currently doing a dissertations at Exeter University to do with the uptake of, or increase in exercise such as cycling or running following cancer diagnosis or any other serious illness.

Some of you are more than likely to have heard of the inspirational story of Jane Tomlinson who, since being diagnosed with terminal cancer, has participated in marathons, cycling events and even the iron man.

Her story has made me keen to hear from more people about their new experiences with their bodies and exercise following a diagnosis such as cancer. I am interested to find out about how exercise is used as a coping strategy for people, bringing them hope and confidence in themselves.

If anyone has any opinions or experiences they would be willing to share it would be wonderful.

Cheers Hannah x
Hello Hannah

Great research project and good luck with it.

I cannot help you personally, but you might try the Lance Armstrong Foundation (www.laf.org). I have a personal contact over there, who has survived cancer and cycles under inspiration from L.A.. I will try to get them to contact you.

Also, Geoff Thomas ex pro footballer cycled the 2005 Tour de France route last year and is in remission with leukaemia - he has a page at www. justgiving.com/geoffthomas

I am currently involved in a solo cycle ride for cancer charities over the 2006 Tour de France route this autumn (www.cancercharitytour.com). If I come across any other contacts I will let you know. I am clear in my mind that both mental and physical determination can help in overcoming illness, including cancer.

robin weston (cct)

Hey Robin,

Thanks so much for your response. I have been doing some research on Lance following reading his book its not about the bike' which has been very helpful. I was hoping i might manage a interview with Geoff Thomas but after being passed on from person to person and finally getting his email i didnt hear anything.
If you do come across anyone who may be willing to help that would be wonderful, however i am comming into my last month working on the project so there is not much longer to collect data.
Once again thanks for your help and i wish you all the very best on your charity cycle run - anyone who tackles that course certainly has my admiration!

hannah x

weston said:
Hello Hannah

Great research project and good luck with it.

I cannot help you personally, but you might try the Lance Armstrong Foundation (www.laf.org). I have a personal contact over there, who has survived cancer and cycles under inspiration from L.A.. I will try to get them to contact you.

Also, Geoff Thomas ex pro footballer cycled the 2005 Tour de France route last year and is in remission with leukaemia - he has a page at www. justgiving.com/geoffthomas

I am currently involved in a solo cycle ride for cancer charities over the 2006 Tour de France route this autumn (www.cancercharitytour.com). If I come across any other contacts I will let you know. I am clear in my mind that both mental and physical determination can help in overcoming illness, including cancer.

robin weston (cct)

I was diagnosed with stage 1 non hodgkins lymphoma in 09/05, underwent chemo and radiation and got declared cancer free in 04/06. How can I help you?

I'll be honest - I *WISH* beyond all reasoning that I could start exercising again. I had to stop exercising completely. In my head I loved how Lance kept telling himself that if he kept moving that he wasn't that sick - but I try that and end up not much better for the effort =P

I would love to hear about others experiences on the subject though as it's pretty much on the forefront of my mind =)