Suggestions please

Define

Aug 7, 2006
Hi,
I know this should probably be in the advice for buying a new bike section, but this forum seems to get a lot more visitors so I am trying this one.
OK, in Australia and looking to buy an entry level mountain bike for about $400. I've had a look around at a few bike stores and from this it would be a toss up between the...
-Avanti Escape (on special from $499 to $399, if they have my size left)
-Trek 3900 ($439 from $499)
One bike shop also had in a Merida matts 90 for $399 that they said was a really good buy. I don't know anything about Merida and the people I have asked didn't know much about them. They said it was reduced but I can't find them RRP anywhere. Anyone know much about them that could advise me please? Or possibly suggest anything else in the same range (I haven't been to anywhere that sells Giant).

Alternatively, if I waited longer (which I don't really want to do) and saved up more, would I notice a difference when buying something more expensive? Basically it's going to be used for recreational rides mostly on roads and bike tracks but I want to keep my options open because I would like to try some rougher stuff (not really heavy) when I get more confident.

Still would like to keep costs down, especially since it looks like I might have to spend up to $200 for accessories eg. helmet, slick tyres, lock, lights, possibly more comfy saddle.

Thanks folks

Addition: From other prices it looks like the RRP for the Merida is about $500 but the warranty isn't as good as the other two. But it does have Alivio derailler rather than Aceras like the other two.

Is there any particular reason I should buy a Giant Boulder over the other models that I have listed? At the moment I am getting the feeling that it's a matter of whatever colour I like the best.

I really would like to know if that Merida is any good.

Two reasons, one its a 2007 model, the other is its red. :D

I find Giant make good value entry level bikes, well built and reliable and look good. My GF has a Sedona. Her Son a Boulder. ;)