Sunday With The King

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
Sometimes a ride doesn't have to be about going as fast as you can,
dropping off of cliffs, or barreling through boulders. OK, so it should
be about that, but living here in the flatlands, with temps fluctuating
between freeze and thaw it's impossible to find a trail that is ridable
without destroying it. So today we ventured out to one of my favorite
places and pretty much where I first road a mountain bike. A nice large
chunk of land in the middle of suburban sprawl, protected forever from
greedy land developers by a rarely seen rattlesnake. Yeah, I said
rattlesnake. We have them here, but I've never seen one. The greenies
actually counted them a few years back (the government actually paid
them to do it). I've written about this area many times before, but
each time it still amazes me how much singletrack is here.

We start off from the shopping center parking lot and head through the
PUD (planned urban development) out to the main trail head. The trails
lining the lake are a little soggy, but the sand holds up well. Heading
into KGII things are nice and frozen since the sun hasn't been out.
There are now a few people holding weekly rides here, so the trails are
worn in nicely. Nice and flowing in and out of the pines and past the
cranberry bogs.

We then head across the street to the "hilly" section sampling more
great singletrack the motos have laid down. We here a few motors in the
distance, but they are not that close. Across the border into the next
county we do a short climb past the superfund site and hit the BMX
track. Lot's of fun when you know what's coming up. Then it's off to
the peak. It's the highest spot in this area at 250'. The views are
great though as everything else is at sea level. Then down the hill for
some tight twisty downhill singletrack. The SS is really digging in
today and I am showing off some of the balancing I have been working on.
I get some decent air on the whoop-dee-dos, probably because the bike
is light it's easy to put it up. I manage to land them all well,
something I have always had a problem with.

We finish off with a tight switchback section. Basically a short down,
then a tight 180 degree turn and a steep up. This happens three times
in this section right after each other. Even on the 34/16 I am able to
painfully make it. Back through some more singletrack and to the car
for a 20 mile fun ride.

Here's the GPS profile, maps, sat pics, and KML for Google Earth, if
anyone is interested. I shot some video but the camera angle was too
low. Since I was unable to get the bullet cam to work I strapped the
camera to my helmet as an experiment to see if I could handle the
weight. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad (about 3 pounds total between
the camera and the ankle weight). So now I'll order one of those x-jackets,

http://www.pchospital.net/kg2005t.jpg
http://www.pchospital.net/kgprofile.jpg
http://www.pchospital.net/kg2005s.jpg
http://www.pchospital.net/KG.kml

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

You got to give it to Sir Ride Alot he rides all year
long. Not many of us left. Theres the wimps that retire to the trainer
with the 1st sign of chill.

[email protected] wrote:
> You got to give it to Sir Ride Alot he rides all year
> long. Not many of us left. Theres the wimps that retire to the trainer
> with the 1st sign of chill.

That would be me. It's the sheet ice that I don't like.
At least I wear my "your bike sucks" socks to spin class.

penny

[email protected] wrote:
> You got to give it to Sir Ride Alot he rides all year
> long. Not many of us left. Theres the wimps that retire to the trainer
> with the 1st sign of chill.

I'd go spin crazy.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o