Sunday With The King

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ride-A-Lot, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Sometimes a ride doesn't have to be about going as fast as you can,
    dropping off of cliffs, or barreling through boulders. OK, so it should
    be about that, but living here in the flatlands, with temps fluctuating
    between freeze and thaw it's impossible to find a trail that is ridable
    without destroying it. So today we ventured out to one of my favorite
    places and pretty much where I first road a mountain bike. A nice large
    chunk of land in the middle of suburban sprawl, protected forever from
    greedy land developers by a rarely seen rattlesnake. Yeah, I said
    rattlesnake. We have them here, but I've never seen one. The greenies
    actually counted them a few years back (the government actually paid
    them to do it). I've written about this area many times before, but
    each time it still amazes me how much singletrack is here.

    We start off from the shopping center parking lot and head through the
    PUD (planned urban development) out to the main trail head. The trails
    lining the lake are a little soggy, but the sand holds up well. Heading
    into KGII things are nice and frozen since the sun hasn't been out.
    There are now a few people holding weekly rides here, so the trails are
    worn in nicely. Nice and flowing in and out of the pines and past the
    cranberry bogs.

    We then head across the street to the "hilly" section sampling more
    great singletrack the motos have laid down. We here a few motors in the
    distance, but they are not that close. Across the border into the next
    county we do a short climb past the superfund site and hit the BMX
    track. Lot's of fun when you know what's coming up. Then it's off to
    the peak. It's the highest spot in this area at 250'. The views are
    great though as everything else is at sea level. Then down the hill for
    some tight twisty downhill singletrack. The SS is really digging in
    today and I am showing off some of the balancing I have been working on.
    I get some decent air on the whoop-dee-dos, probably because the bike
    is light it's easy to put it up. I manage to land them all well,
    something I have always had a problem with.

    We finish off with a tight switchback section. Basically a short down,
    then a tight 180 degree turn and a steep up. This happens three times
    in this section right after each other. Even on the 34/16 I am able to
    painfully make it. Back through some more singletrack and to the car
    for a 20 mile fun ride.

    Here's the GPS profile, maps, sat pics, and KML for Google Earth, if
    anyone is interested. I shot some video but the camera angle was too
    low. Since I was unable to get the bullet cam to work I strapped the
    camera to my helmet as an experiment to see if I could handle the
    weight. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad (about 3 pounds total between
    the camera and the ankle weight). So now I'll order one of those x-jackets,

    http://www.pchospital.net/kg2005t.jpg
    http://www.pchospital.net/kgprofile.jpg
    http://www.pchospital.net/kg2005s.jpg
    http://www.pchospital.net/KG.kml

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    Tags:

  2. You got to give it to Sir Ride Alot he rides all year
    long. Not many of us left. Theres the wimps that retire to the trainer
    with the 1st sign of chill.

  3. small change

    small change Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > You got to give it to Sir Ride Alot he rides all year
    > long. Not many of us left. Theres the wimps that retire to the trainer
    > with the 1st sign of chill.

    That would be me. It's the sheet ice that I don't like.
    At least I wear my "your bike sucks" socks to spin class.

    penny

  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > You got to give it to Sir Ride Alot he rides all year
    > long. Not many of us left. Theres the wimps that retire to the trainer
    > with the 1st sign of chill.

    I'd go spin crazy.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o