Suntour 8 Speed Cassette Spacing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Demicco, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Mike Demicco

    Mike Demicco Guest

    Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?

    I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get my
    8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    >cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    >
    >I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get my
    >8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

    I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
    Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
    something like
    1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.

    If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
    goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
    don't remember the details.

    Somebody please flame me if I remember wrong.

    --Paul

  3. Paul Southworth wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    > >cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    > >
    > >I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
    > >my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
    >
    > I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
    > Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
    > something like
    > 1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.

    If the cogs were 1.9, then the spacers would need to be 2.9. Shimano 8sp cogs are 1.8 mmm and the
    8sp spacers are 3 mm. Some amount of error is probably okay.

    > If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
    > goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
    > don't remember the details.

    This is what I remember too. I've never seen SunTour 8sp stuff up close.

  4. Mike Demicco

    Mike Demicco Guest

    On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:11:50 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    >>cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    >>
    >>I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
    >>my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
    >
    > I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
    > Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
    > something like
    > 1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.
    >
    > If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
    > goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
    > don't remember the details.

    No, the spacing is not the same.

  5. Mike DeMicco wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:11:50 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:
    >

    >>In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    >>>cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    >>>
    >>>I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
    >>>my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
    >>
    >>I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
    >>Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
    >>something like
    >>1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.
    >>
    >>If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
    >>goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
    >>don't remember the details.
    >
    > No, the spacing is not the same.

    But it's not all that different, either. The superior design of Shimano Hyperglide cassettes
    generally means that replacing a SunTour cassette wheel with a Shimano one will _improve_
    the shifting.

    Sheldon "Hyperglide Is Good" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
    | What was the real cause of the 1861-65 war? |
    | http://sheldonbrown.net/slaverywar.html |
    +------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Mike DeMicco" <blaster186RE[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    > cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    >
    > I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
    > my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

    PowerFlow cogs are 2.0mm thick. Spacers are 2.8mm between the three lowest pairs and 3.0mm between
    the four highest pairs