Suntour 8 Speed Cassette Spacing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Demicco, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Demicco

Mike Demicco Guest

Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?

I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get my
    8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

Tags:

2. In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    >cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    >
    >I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get my
    >8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
    Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
    something like
    1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.

If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
    goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
    don't remember the details.

Somebody please flame me if I remember wrong.

--Paul

3. Paul Southworth wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    > >cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    > >
    > >I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
    > >my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
    >
    > I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
    > Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
    > something like
    > 1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.

If the cogs were 1.9, then the spacers would need to be 2.9. Shimano 8sp cogs are 1.8 mmm and the
    8sp spacers are 3 mm. Some amount of error is probably okay.

> If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
    > goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
    > don't remember the details.

This is what I remember too. I've never seen SunTour 8sp stuff up close.

4. Mike Demicco

Mike Demicco Guest

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:11:50 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    >>cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    >>
    >>I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
    >>my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
    >
    > I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
    > Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
    > something like
    > 1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.
    >
    > If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
    > goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
    > don't remember the details.

No, the spacing is not the same.

5. Mike DeMicco wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:11:50 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:
    >
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    >>>cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    >>>
    >>>I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
    >>>my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
    >>
    >>I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
    >>Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
    >>something like
    >>1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.
    >>
    >>If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
    >>goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
    >>don't remember the details.
    >
    > No, the spacing is not the same.

But it's not all that different, either. The superior design of Shimano Hyperglide cassettes
    generally means that replacing a SunTour cassette wheel with a Shimano one will _improve_
    the shifting.

Sheldon "Hyperglide Is Good" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
    | What was the real cause of the 1861-65 war? |
    | http://sheldonbrown.net/slaverywar.html |
    +------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

6. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Mike DeMicco" <blaster186RE[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
    > cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
    >
    > I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
    > my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

PowerFlow cogs are 2.0mm thick. Spacers are 2.8mm between the three lowest pairs and 3.0mm between
    the four highest pairs

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.