Suntour 8 Speed Cassette Spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Demicco

Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?

I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get my
8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
>cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
>
>I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get my
>8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
something like
1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.

If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
don't remember the details.

Somebody please flame me if I remember wrong.

--Paul

Paul Southworth wrote:
>
> In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
> >cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
> >
> >I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
> >my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
>
> I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
> Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
> something like
> 1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.

If the cogs were 1.9, then the spacers would need to be 2.9. Shimano 8sp cogs are 1.8 mmm and the
8sp spacers are 3 mm. Some amount of error is probably okay.

> If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
> goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
> don't remember the details.

This is what I remember too. I've never seen SunTour 8sp stuff up close.

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:11:50 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
>>cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
>>
>>I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
>>my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
>
> I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
> Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
> something like
> 1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.
>
> If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
> goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
> don't remember the details.

No, the spacing is not the same.

Mike DeMicco wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:11:50 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:
>
>
>>In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
>>>cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
>>>
>>>I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
>>>my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.
>>
>>I thought the center-to-center cog measurement was basically the same between SunTour 8 and
>>Shimano 8... I suggest you do a careful measurement with a caliper. I think you will find cogs
>>something like
>>1.9mm and spacers something like 3mm.
>>
>>If you are having shifting problems, I think it may not be related to cog spacing... I thought the
>>goofy SunTour spacing went away when 8-speed came out but I never sold any SunTour 8 stuff so I
>>don't remember the details.
>
> No, the spacing is not the same.

But it's not all that different, either. The superior design of Shimano Hyperglide cassettes
generally means that replacing a SunTour cassette wheel with a Shimano one will _improve_
the shifting.

Sheldon "Hyperglide Is Good" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
| What was the real cause of the 1861-65 war? |
| http://sheldonbrown.net/slaverywar.html |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

"Mike DeMicco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Can someone tell me the cog thickness and the thickness of the spacers in a Suntour 8 speed
> cassette? Is the cog thickness the same as Shimano's?
>
> I want to get some custom spacers to space a Shimano cassette the same as Suntour's so I can get
> my 8 speed Suntour thumbshifters to shift better.

PowerFlow cogs are 2.0mm thick. Spacers are 2.8mm between the three lowest pairs and 3.0mm between
the four highest pairs

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.