rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Super strong quick realese seat clamp

Started by thejdw · · Last activity · 21 posts · 247 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
8 July 2007
Last activity
10 July 2007
Original author
thejdw
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
247
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well I've bent the arm of my £10 quick realese seat clamp. Its was a
    silly aluminium desighn with a big gap in a high stress area (were it
    bent).
    So do any of you guys know of a realy tough QR seat clamp? (I'm
    thinking CrMo or somthing) or am I just better off sticking with the
    bolt type?

    --
    thejdw

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Bolt is generally better - you can get a double bolt for a more secure
    grip.

    Think why you need a Q/R and how often you use it... bolts are
    generally cheaper too.

    --
    mikepenton

    Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
    'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Salsa make a nice quick-release seat clamp
    see http://tinyurl.com/3afwak

    jim

    --
    Jim
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. mikepenton said:


    Think why you need a Q/R and how often you use it...

    well I often travel and then find a hill to practice wheel walking so
    it gets used quite abit.

    thanks for the recomedation Jim, keep them coming people :p

    --
    thejdw

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Yeah, a friend of mine has the Salsa clamp. it sqeezes like 40 pounds of
    pressure of something. It seemed to work good.

    --
    Riles

    Cop: "Would you like to file a report?"
    Me: "What?"😕
    Cop: "Would you like to file a report?"
    Me: "Should I want to file a report?"
    Cop: "Well, obiously the other half of your bike was stolen..."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Riles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15030
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Riles said:

    Yeah, a friend of mine has the Salsa clamp. it sqeezes like 40 pounds of
    pressure of something. It seemed to work good.

    sounds strong, I'm gona remember it

    --
    thejdw

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. it's expensive though, like $60 I believe.

    --
    kerosian

    I used to get high on life, until I built up a tolerance, so now I
    unicycle.
    Yay! Pamba Mountain b*ke race July 22nd, wish me luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kerosian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13944
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. I have a salsa and it holds really well.
    I got mine for $25 and thats the price I usually see them.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'BC wheel movie.'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56195) Watch
    it.
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
    AIM: SpencerHochberg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. I have used the Salsa flip-lock QR seatpost clamp; they're ok, but they
    wear out rapidly due to metal on metal contact.

    Then I found the HOPE seatpost QR clamp and NEVER looked back!😄 Far
    superior to Salsa IMHO and about the same price.

    http://tinyurl.com/kgcx8

    '
    ' (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2476)

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: qr_seatclamp_PIC.JPG |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/21099 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. MuniAddict said:

    I have used the Salsa flip-lock QR seatpost clamp; they're ok, but they
    wear out rapidly due to metal on metal contact.

    Then I found the HOPE seatpost QR clamp and NEVER looked back!😄 Far
    superior to Salsa IMHO and about the same price.

    http://tinyurl.com/kgcx8

    '
    ' (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2476)

    other than those ugly decals, that looks pretty nice.

    --
    mornish

    aim:kiloornish
    email: mornish AT gmail DOT com

    Spencer said:

    well, at least I'm not drinking my own blood, I only drink other
    people's blood...


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mornish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11658
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. just get a two bolt seat clamp with a facom allen key.... that'll make
    sure ur seatpost is nice and tight...

    I always try carry a 10mm spanner and a 5mm allen key (i think its a
    5mm) when i go riding in case something goes wrong, and i hardly every
    change my seat height.

    --
    brendan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brendan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13680
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. I got a quick release for the uni i am making and I'm just going to put
    a single bolt or double under it for harder stuff....

    --
    wickedbob

    I am a bad speller! "Precision is as much a mindset as it is a
    skill"-Loren
    *R.I.P Johnny Hart*
    *R.I.P Mitch Hedberg*

    Ducttape said:

    not gonna show you it tonight becasue I am going to play with it until I
    go to bed to get it just right.........


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wickedbob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14353
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. I can also vouch for the Hope QR clamp (like Terry) as i've had it on my
    29er for a year now. Plus it comes in lots of different 'colours '
    (http://www.hopegb.com/voir_SCGM.html)if you like that type of thing.

    --
    norry

    my latest muni ride report [ 'here'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61385) ]
    *buc14 video competition entry - 3rd place british* [
    'video'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60020) ]
    london uk uni meet 06 [ 'video '
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54700) ]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    norry's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6901
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. MuniAddict said:

    I have used the Salsa flip-lock QR seatpost clamp; they're ok, but they
    wear out rapidly due to metal on metal contact.

    Then I found the HOPE seatpost QR clamp and NEVER looked back!😄 Far
    superior to Salsa IMHO and about the same price.

    http://tinyurl.com/kgcx8

    '
    ' (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2476)

    looks nice, thats now top on the list 🙂

    @ Norry- yay colours!

    --
    thejdw

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. hey do you guys know were I can get the clamp size that will fit the
    nimbus II frame? its 24.5 I think

    --
    thejdw

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. thejdw said:

    hey do you guys know were I can get the clamp size that will fit the
    nimbus II frame? its 24.5 I think

    Measure the *outside* diameter of the seat tube; use calipers to get a
    precise reading. Then, if you want the Hope clamp, go to the website
    and find the corresponding size.

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. MuniAddict said:

    Measure the *outside* diameter of the seat tube; use calipers to get a
    precise reading. Then, if you want the Hope clamp, go to the website
    and find the corresponding size.

    ah I need to get myself a cliper then

    btw: thanks to all, for info

    --
    thejdw

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. thejdw said:

    ah I need to get myself a cliper then

    btw: thanks to all, for info

    Your old clamp should say the diameter on it.

    A caliper isn't cheap.

    --
    Borgschulze

    http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. Borgschulze said:

    Your old clamp should say the diameter on it.

    A caliper isn't cheap.

    I think the guy said it was 25.4 when I got it, but I can't find a hope
    in that size. I'm assuming I'm wrong

    --
    thejdw

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. 25.4 is the inner diameter, you need the outer diameter, which will be
    what the clamp fits over.

    --
    kerosian

    I used to get high on life, until I built up a tolerance, so now I
    unicycle.
    Yay! Pamba Mountain b*ke race July 22nd, wish me luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kerosian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13944
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62439

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.