Supernova E3 LED dynamo headlight - any experience?

Simon Brooke

Guest
I have to confess I've been put off the Solidlights dynamo headlight just
because it's such an ugly brick - I just don't see it on one of my svelte
bikes. The DLumotec Oval is rather more aesthetic, but it still doesn't
appeal to me. Browsing around today, I came across this:

http://www.supernova-lights.com/Supernova-E3.pdf

Wiggle has them at £126, which is also substantially cheaper than a
Solidlights unit, though still twice as expensive as a DLumotec.

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security team. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem on your own phone bill?

Simon Brooke wrote:
> I have to confess I've been put off the Solidlights dynamo headlight just
> because it's such an ugly brick - I just don't see it on one of my svelte
> bikes. The DLumotec Oval is rather more aesthetic, but it still doesn't
> appeal to me. Browsing around today, I came across this:

I agree about the solidlights, and have been thinking
about upgrading my halogen lit before winter sets in.

> http://www.supernova-lights.com/Supernova-E3.pdf
>
> Wiggle has them at £126, which is also substantially cheaper than a
> Solidlights unit, though still twice as expensive as a DLumotec.

Looks quite interesting, however it is unclear how the
power lead connect to the light, this looks like a weak
point in such an expensive piece of equipment.

The second ****le is that the rear lit is only rack
mountable, however I prefer not to use a rear lit with it
anyway.

Martin Dann wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> I have to confess I've been put off the Solidlights dynamo headlight
>> just because it's such an ugly brick - I just don't see it on one of
>> my svelte bikes. The DLumotec Oval is rather more aesthetic, but it
>> still doesn't appeal to me. Browsing around today, I came across
>> this:

> I agree about the solidlights, and have been thinking
> about upgrading my halogen lit before winter sets in.
>

>> http://www.supernova-lights.com/Supernova-E3.pdf
>>
>> Wiggle has them at £126, which is also substantially cheaper than a
>> Solidlights unit, though still twice as expensive as a DLumotec.

> Looks quite interesting, however it is unclear how the
> power lead connect to the light, this looks like a weak
> point in such an expensive piece of equipment.

Looks like an in-line small spade connector, visible as the bulge in the the
shrink tube leading from the lamp in one picture. If a small amount of
vasaline is used to help the seal, this should work without any problems.

Also appears to be only a single 3W LED (unless someone can correct me), so
less light than the twin LED SolidLights solution.

Inoled is the other maker I know about, somewhat cheaper than Supernova.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> Martin Dann wrote:
>> Simon Brooke wrote:

>>> http://www.supernova-lights.com/Supernova-E3.pdf

>> Looks quite interesting, however it is unclear how the
>> power lead connect to the light, this looks like a weak
>> point in such an expensive piece of equipment.

> Looks like an in-line small spade connector, visible as the bulge in the the
> shrink tube leading from the lamp in one picture. If a small amount of
> vasaline is used to help the seal, this should work without any problems.

My problem with this the short cable between the lit and
the connector, if this gets damaged, is it replaceable?