Sweat in eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?

Remember - Don't' sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

--
"A bicycle can't stand on its own because it is two-tired."

the NBA headband

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
> saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>
> Remember - Don't' sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!
>
> --
> "A bicycle can't stand on its own because it is two-tired."

I use some very thin headbands made by PI. They aren't the terry cloth cotton one like the NBA guys
wear. They were about $8 at my LBS. Work great in even the hottest weather and also fit great under
my helmet. "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
> saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>
>
> --

Mark wrote:
>
>
> --

Look down a lot and let your sweat pool in your sunglasses. It really helps the psychadelic effect
of heatstroke. (I have the same problem but it's not annoying enough to try to fix. I'm used to it.)

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
>saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?

I use headbands from Kucharik (http://www.kucharik.com). They're much better than the terry cloth
ones you can get at a sporting goods store - they never seem to get saturated with sweat. The
sporting goods variety can get saturated and then they are useless unless you wring them out.

The Kuchariks cost about $5.

--
Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069

I've had the same problem until I got a "Halo" headband. It made all the difference. It's a
neopreen (sp?) headband with a rubberized strip at the bottom that channels the seat away from your
forehead. I bought mine online at http://www.haloheadband.com/ but I think Performance sells them
now as well. Tom

Wear a cotton racing cap instead. It wicks the sweat away from your brow and drips off the skip (as
long as you don't wear it with the skip flipped to the "up" position).

I wear contacts and this fixed me up a treat.

Robert

In news:[email protected], Robert McDonald
<[email protected]> typed:
>> I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
>> saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>
> Wear a cotton racing cap instead. It wicks the sweat away from your brow and drips off the skip
> (as long as you don't wear it with the skip flipped to the "up" position).
>

Absolutely agree. I've tried all the other methods in this thread but nothing beats a peaked
racing cap. All of them become saturated sooner or later so the priniciple of diverting the sweat,
which the cap does, is the only long term effective solution IME You can wear it under your helmet
if you so wish.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

Do you sweat less with a completely shaved head? Eyebrows? Sounds silly, but I am thinking of
cutting it all off. Only because I am cheap... Or are you more prone to overheat because of the lack
of hair to act as cooling fins (in my technogeek terminology)?

NS

> Do you sweat less with a completely shaved head? Eyebrows? Sounds silly, but I am thinking of
> cutting it all off. Only because I am cheap... Or are you more prone to overheat because of the
> lack of hair to act as cooling fins (in my technogeek terminology)?

As one who didn't have to shave it off to reach that state I can state its much worse without. Its
not the sweating that's the problem, it's the lack of anything to absorb and evaporate the sweat
before it rolls downs into your eyes.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
>saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?

That's odd - I find sweat evaporates immediately while riding, and the only problem is carrying a
handkerchief to catch the sweat when stopped - otherwise it collects all the salt off my forehead
and causes me hideous agony when it lands in my eyes.
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

NS> <[email protected]> wrote:
>Do you sweat less with a completely shaved head? Eyebrows?

I certainly found I was more comfortable with a shaved head - that could be purely subjective, but
it feels just as good. I certainly wouldn't shave off the eyes' final line of defence against sweat.
--

In article <RH*[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
> >saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>
> That's odd - I find sweat evaporates immediately while riding, and the only problem is carrying a
> handkerchief to catch the sweat when stopped - otherwise it collects all the salt off my forehead
> and causes me hideous agony when it lands in my eyes.

You must ride where the air is dry. Any time it's above 65 or so, I have sweat dripping into my eyes
and onto the inside of my glasses unless I use a headband.

--
David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
>[email protected] says...
>>That's odd - I find sweat evaporates immediately while riding, and the only problem is carrying a
>>handkerchief to catch the sweat when stopped - otherwise it collects all the salt off my forehead
>>and causes me hideous agony when it lands in my eyes.
>You must ride where the air is dry.

In Britain? You jest.
--

Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> --

I use a special sweat band that has many, many small tubes built into the cloth. These tubes are
arranged much like some motorcycle exhaust pipes (4 into 2 into 1 etc. but starting with much bigger
numbers!) and get larger as they become less in number (starting off at capillary size). It finishes
up with 2 tubes at the back, that enter another 'arrangement'. This arrangement works like a basic
carburettor, and uses the air flow (there are 2 small 'scoops' that attach to the side of the
helmet) caused by the bike moving forward to 'vacuum' draw the moisture out, to where it drips down
onto the floor behind you. This works exceptionally well, and I never get sweat blinded.

These are not available in the shops though, as I designed and built this myself - sorry, but maybe
you too could adapt this idea?

Shaun aRe

"Jeff & Jane Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I use some very thin headbands made by PI. They aren't the terry cloth cotton one like the NBA
> guys wear. They were about $8 at my LBS. Work great in even the hottest weather and also fit great
> under my helmet.

I have also used those for years. Another thing I've found, for those who wear helmets, is to
replace any absorbent helmet pads with non-absorbent ones. The absorbent ones collect sweat,
concentrate it into brine, which they dump into your eyes if you touch your helmet or move your head
in a way that causes them to compress even slightly.

Most LBSes have a drawer/box full of helmet pads which they'll let you rummage through to get the
right kind.

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Have you tried Headsweats? The Coolmax version solved my sweat problems. It's a hadband sewn into a
Coolmax bandana, which does an efficient job of wicking moisture and letting it evaporate. And since
it absorbs sweat from your entire scalp before it can run down your forehead, the band tends not to
get as saturated anyway.

Works well under a helmet too.

RichC

Thanks, I may still go shaved ...not sure ... I just wanted a reprieve from the sweaty eyes and
nasty sunglasses. Like everyone else... I use a vented helmet so I probably would have to use
sunblock on my scalp. My eyebrows seem to pool the sweat and insert it directly into the eyes when
turning or encountering traffic. If it misses my eyes it definitely gets the sunglasses. I usually
make a bad choice and choose to dry the pool in the glasses and unfortunately smear sunblock over
the lenses. My rant :)

NS

In article <d4ZFa.165916$M01.78774@sccrnsc02>, NS> <[email protected]> wrote:
>Do you sweat less with a completely shaved head? Eyebrows? Sounds silly, but I am thinking of
>cutting it all off. Only because I am cheap... Or are you more prone to overheat because of the
>lack of hair to act as cooling fins (in my technogeek terminology)?

I do the 1/4" attachment, and it does make things cooler. It also makes more room in your helmet for
a headband or cap. I would not take off the eyebrows unless you want to look like Whoopi Goldberg.

--Paul

Mark wrote:
>

Wax your eyebrows and then shape them in such a way that the sweat will drizzle off to the side.

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.