General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Swimmer's shoulder

Started by Haim Guivon · · Last activity · 22 posts · 2,175 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 May 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Haim Guivon
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,175
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    I swim with a very small body rotation. In the website you
    mention in another article, I see that the swimmer lies in
    the water with the Y axis perpendicular to the water
    surface during the pause stage. I don't. I lie with with
    the Y access almost parallel to the water surface, with a
    very small body rotation during catch and start of push.
    In this position


    (which

    Quoted message said:

    I am too old to want to change), how should the position
    of each hand be


    to avoid internal rotation? <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, haim

    Haim, I used to swim like you (as far as lack of much
    rotation) until I hurt my neck in February of 2003. My
    doctor told me to start breathing bilaterally instead of my
    usual 'just on the left side'. Not only did that strengthen
    my neck muscles, but it also made my body rotate more
    properly. After a few days of trying this, it now seems
    natural as if I have been doing it this way all my life. You
    can change and enjoy the change!

    Pat in TX

  2. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I swim with a very small body rotation. In the website
    you mention in another article, I see that the swimmer
    lies in the water with the Y


    axis

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    perpendicular to the water surface during the pause
    stage. I don't. I


    lie

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with with the Y access almost parallel to the water
    surface, with a very small body rotation during catch
    and start of push. In this position


    (which

    Quoted message said:

    I am too old to want to change), how should the position
    of each hand be


    to avoid internal rotation? <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, haim

    Haim, I used to swim like you (as far as lack of much
    rotation) until I


    hurt

    Quoted message said:

    my neck in February of 2003. My doctor told me to start
    breathing bilaterally instead of my usual 'just on the
    left side'. Not only did


    that

    Quoted message said:

    strengthen my neck muscles, but it also made my body
    rotate more properly. After a few days of trying this, it
    now seems natural as if I have been doing it this way all
    my life. You can change and enjoy the change!

    Pat in TX


    =================================================
    Thanks a lot, Pat. Your advice strengthens my own
    conclusion. Since reading several good advices here, I
    started using this body rotating technique. Not still 90
    degrees to the water surface, but somewhere in between. This
    makes it also easier to avoid internal rotation, which I've
    been so adamantly advised again.

    About breathing bilaterally it is an old habit of mine,
    which I owe to my first coach, long time ago. I usually swim
    one length breathing to the right, one to the left, and one
    three strokes between breathings (which accounts for
    bilateral breathing).

    I still hope that somebody gives me advice on a good
    technique for backstroke to avoid shoulder impingement. Here
    I feel the worse pain during push, and since I suffer from
    this shoulder pain, I cannot push with all my strength. I
    swim by the book, but obviously I am doing something wrong.

    thanks, haim

    ===================================================

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.