Taking a bike on a plane

HandyAndy

Jul 29, 2003
Hey Guys

I'm taking my new bike on a plane(a 10hr trip) and was wondering what the best way to take it is?I have a sci-con padded bag but I'm a little nervous about my wheels.I can fit one set of wheels into my bag(my kysriums sls) but not my mavic carbones.I do have wheel bags for them though.Is it safe to put them in the hold?By the way I am travelling on Virgin if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks guys

knowing, and seeing, how luggage is treated, I wouldn't fly with my bike in anything less than a trico sports ironcase (or its equal). the trico will hold a complete bicycle, including wheels, and lots of extras (tubes, tools, shoes, plus a floor pump).

and I would absolutely not put a wheelset in padded bags in the hold. I have walked on many planes with a $1000+ set in hand, explained what they were and their value, and the attendants have always found a safe place for them.

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Hey Guys

I'm taking my new bike on a plane(a 10hr trip) and was wondering what the best way to take it is?I have a sci-con padded bag but I'm a little nervous about my wheels.I can fit one set of wheels into my bag(my kysriums sls) but not my mavic carbones.I do have wheel bags for them though.Is it safe to put them in the hold?By the way I am travelling on Virgin if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks guys

we've had three plane trips with bikes, 2x Melbourne - Rome and 1x melbourne-Hobart (Tasmania). The bikes were bubble-wrapped, pedals removed tyres deflated and handlebars rotated. We were surpised how well they were treated and how little damage occured (none) apart from one incident at Rome airport where the idiot baggage handler jammed my wife's bike down the luggage shute tearing her seat (she is tall and we had forgotten to lower her seatpost. Apart from this idiot, most people treated our bikes as if they were their own children!

I travel back and forth to europe with my bike(s) regularly. The Trico hard case is fine. The more you pack in the bike case with your bike, the better. Follow the instructions and then add bibs, jerseys, shoes, tools, socks, water bottles, helmets, gloves etc and the thing won't budge. Only deflate your tires partially! NOT all the way and don't forget to dismount your rear derailleur. This is easy and a must. It isn't worth and accident. Otherwise, fly well and enjoy the road. Carry the hoity-toity wheels on board.
Bon Chance!

any idea of where you can store the bike case these days? The days of 'left luggage' in airports is long gone. We travelled without a case as we were cycle touring (we reassembled our bikes in the airport lounge!) and had no answer for storing a bike case

Thanks for the replies everyone.My bag is apparently one of the better soft bags around, but in my bag is a brand new colnago c40 with 04 dura ace so naturally I'm a little cautious!I will pad the bag with bubble wrap and clothes and take my carbones on the plane with me.As long as the flight attendents dont have a problem with me taking the wheels onboard.

Originally posted by ProfTournesol
we've had three plane trips with bikes,
We were surpised how well they were treated and how little damage occured (none) apart from one incident at Rome airport where the idiot baggage handler jammed my wife's bike down the luggage shute tearing her seat (she is tall and we had forgotten to lower her seatpost.

I think if anyone the idots were you and your wife for forgetting to lower your wife's bike saddle!!

Havn't had any problems using my SiCo soft bag.
Just tighten the wheels to the frame, and use the padding between wheels & frame.

Ajo do you have the scicon bag with the metal frame inside?Mine doesnt have the frame but has pockets for you to put the wheels inside.Do you take the rear derailleur off?