tapered headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Daniel Indyk, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Daniel Indyk

    Daniel Indyk Guest

    i have a wedged quilled stem, which fits into my headset. i recently bought a 'stem raiser'. the
    original stem measures 21.54mm dia. whilst the stem raiser measures 22.2mm dia. the sten raiser fits
    into the steerer but only about 1/2 way down. should the steerer be tapered? and if so does anyone
    know the dia at the bottom...so that i can turn it down on the lathe.

    many thanks

    danny

    Tags:

  2. Thomast41

    Thomast41 Guest

    what type of bike do you have? some bmx and some older japanese bikes have a slightly small diameter
    stem than the standard 22.2mm

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Daniel Indyk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i have a wedged quilled stem, which fits into my headset. i recently bought a 'stem raiser'. the
    > original stem measures 21.54mm dia. whilst the stem raiser measures 22.2mm dia. the sten raiser
    > fits into the steerer but only about 1/2 way down. should the steerer be tapered? and if so does
    > anyone know the dia at the bottom...so that i can turn it down on the lathe.
    >
    > many thanks
    >
    > danny

    It may be that your fork is of the "USA" type, not "ISO" The ISO standard one inch quill is 22.2mm.
    The USA variant is theoretically supposed to be 0.833 inches which is about
    21.16mm.

    What kind of bicycle is it? That size was used by many American manufacturers and adopted by some
    Japanese makers for export here in the early seventies, notably Kawamura/Nishiki.

    I don't think there's any reason not to turn it down, assuming the wall thickness is at least as
    thick as your original stem. It isn't supposed to be tapered.

    You're going to install your stem into the top of that adapter, right? There is a cheap ($1) sleeve
    made just for that by Wald, #905. Every LBS has 'em.

  4. dindyk-<< i have a wedged quilled stem, which fits into my headset. i recently bought a 'stem
    raiser'. the original stem measures 21.54mm dia. whilst the stem raiser measures 22.2mm di
    >><BR><BR> << the sten raiser fits into the steerer but only about 1/2 way down. should the
    steerer be tapered? and if so does anyone know the dia at the bottom...so that i can turn it down
    on the lathe.

    Sounds like you have a French stem and fork...