Tarmac or Roubaix for climbing - S2 Frame and Gearing question...

SeamusJP

Feb 16, 2012
I am getting back in to road biking, and live in an area with tons of mountains to climb. I have been told that climbing is up to the rider, however, I have also heard many people say the tarmac will be a slightly better climber due to the length and weight.
The two bikes I like have different gearing (Naturally), and this makes me wonder if in fact the roubaix will be better for climbing...I am a 28 years old male, in good shape, but I am not used to heavy climbing at all (yet)...

Roubaix Gear: Option 1:Rival 50-34 and 11-32
Option 2: Apex 50-34 and 11-28
Tarmac Gears: 52 - 36 and 11-28

I am currently coming from an Allez triple : Tiagra/Sora : 50-42-30 and 12-25 ( I should notice a positive difference either way?)

I truly enjoy top end speed when on flats which makes me lean towards the tarmac, hate feeling sluggish, and I hear its a great climber, but the idea of the Roubaix 34 32 high gearing for climbing. Will I notice a huge difference?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I would go for the Roubaix only IF I needed the longer headtube for positioning purposes, or wanted a bike built mainly for comfort over rough roads. And having owned and ridden the heck out of a Tarmac SL3 the latter IMO is moot. When paired with 25c tires, the thing was pretty darn comfy. I have not ridden a Roubaix so don't know how much more comfy it is.

You mention length which I'm gathering is the top tube length you are referring to, which could easily be adjusted with a different length stem and should have absolutely nothing to do with climbing. The gearing on both bikes is adequate for 99% of the climbing you are likely to do even in moutain country, unless it's solely dedicated to alpine ventures and then either a 34 chainring up front and/or a 32 cassette in the back may be desireable.

I haven't scrutinized the specs but I cannot imagine a huge weight difference between similarly spec'd models in Specialized's flagship lineup. Both these bikes have been ridden by pro's in some of the most demanding events.

In the end it is up to the rider, but I would not base my choice on the gearing a bike comes with as that can be swapped out, possibly at no cost if your LBS is generous, or at minimal cost if not (relative to the bikes retail $).

I would pick the frame you like best, regardless of the gearing. I was recently searching for a new bike, and I was constantly given the same feedback. Can you get a weekend test-ride, on a demo bike on either, or both? That might help.

I ride in the mountains, too. I've been using an 50/34 crank with an 11-28 cassette, and I've not had the need to go lower than 34/28. Since I have a Rival group ... I could throw an 11-32 on someday, if I wanted.

I was buying a new bike that had a 52/36 or 53/39 ... I'd probably work with the bike shop to swap it for a compact.

Scott

In comparison to your current low gearing of 30/25, the 34/28 is almost identical. As the others have noted a rear cassette swap is a very easy and affordable change if needed.

The top end gear difference between the bikes is 4%, moving 37mph at a cadence of 100rpm on the tarmac your cadence would be 104rpm on the roubaix.

Originally Posted by danfoz . Both these bikes have been ridden by pro's in some of the most demanding events.
Danfoz, I concur with everything you say, except for the part about what the pros ride. For the greatest part of the season, Specialized-sponsored pros ride pro-build S-Works Tarmacs with head tubes 1-2 cm shorter than stock. Paris-Roubaix squads have the option of pro-build S-Works Roubaix frames with, guess what, head tubes 3-4 cm shorter than stock. Paris-Roubaix is a long, tortuous, flat event that emphasizes control and endurance over horrible conditions, and the ability to roll continuously at high rates of speed in an aerodynamic position.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

pros ride pro-build S-Works Tarmacs with head tubes 1-2 cm shorter than stock. Paris-Roubaix squads have the option of pro-build S-Works Roubaix frames with, guess what, head tubes 3-4 cm shorter than stock.
Certainly correct bobcat, not the same bikes per se but the same models I shoulda said. Personally I was not able to work with the pro-geometry, but the 140'ish headtube on my Tarmac was nicely considerate of my waning flexibility.

Standard Tarmac and Allez geometry works nicely for 90 percent of us.

CyclinYooper said:
I would pick the frame you like best, regardless of the gearing. I was recently searching for a new bike, and I was constantly given the same feedback. Can you get a weekend test-ride, on a demo bike on either, or both? That might help.
I ride in the mountains, too. I've been using an 50/34 crank with an 11-28 cassette, and I've not had the need to go lower than 34/28. Since I have a Rival group ... I could throw an 11-32 on someday, if I wanted.
I was buying a new bike that had a 52/36 or 53/39 ... I'd probably work with the bike shop to swap it for a compact.
Scott
That about sums it up. You're going to climb best on the bike that fits you the best and whose ride you like the most. What's going to make the biggest difference on climbs is you and your legs. I'd advise you not to base your purchase on what cassette is on the bike since cassettes are easy to change (in 5 minutes or less). It's also possible to convince the LBS to make changing the cassette for a more desirable one part of the purchase price. To get the most out of going up hills and mountains, do a lot more climbing.