Team Coast suspended by UCI

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Team Coast suspended by UCI
The UCI announced Thursday afternoon that it has suspended Team Coast from competition, effective immediately. Riders currently competing in Spain at the Vuelta a Murcia are authorized to complete the event, otherwise the team is not permitted to race.

Team Coast has been under the watchful eye of the UCI following claims from several riders that their salaries had not been paid in 2002. However, as recently as Wednesday, the team's situation appeared stable.

The UCI's Alain Rumpf told Cyclingnews Wednesday that, "Certainly, Team Coast has to send us specific documents as required by the UCI's Professional Cycling Council for their registration, and perhaps they have been asked for more information than some other teams this year, but everything with Coast so far is in order."

The UCI issued the following statement Thursday afternoon:

The International Cycling Union announces the suspension of Team Coast, who therefore cannot participate to any race as of today. This Trade Team I had been registered under certain conditions, one of them being to prove the payment of salaries to riders and staff every month.

Pending fulfillment of this condition, the team is suspended.

Riders of Team Coast currently participating in the Vuelta Ciclista a Murcia are authorized to finish the event.

cyclingnews.com

Team CSC here he comes??? Ullrich and Riis is a better fit anyway and will provide a better show for cycling fans.

Originally posted by easyrider
Team CSC here he comes??? Ullrich and Riis is a better fit anyway and will provide a better show for cycling fans.

I don't see that they will take him on. Not after all that negotiations failed.

I know of one person that will be smiling, hey Lance...

Originally posted by easyrider

I agree, ullrich should have rode for them in the first place!