tendinosis of the hamstring muscles

acapulco4ever

Dec 8, 2010
hey guys has anyone on this great forum ever experienced with any kind of tendonitis/tendinosis issues? I've been struggling with this pain in my hamstring for over a year and counting I have tried it all!! RICE, steroid shots, therapy, more rest, exercises and nothing seems to help:( just wanted to know if cycling makes it worst even tho since I went from mountain bike to road cycling no more pain or soreness haven't really gone any long crazy distance tho so anyways please post anything related to this awful problem!!!

Not sure about tendonitis per se, but pain/soreness in the hamstrings can be caused by a saddle that's too high and/or too far forward, not to mention too great a reach to the handlebars. Are you absolutely certain your fit is correct? If you don't want to get a pro fit, try lowering the seat 5 -10 mm, and if you can shorten the reach, or raise the bar, see if that helps.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Acapulco.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I've never had tendonitis in that area, but my son has. Like you, he tried all the usual fixes, RICE, steroids, etc. Nothing helped until he went to a chiropractor for a different issue. The chiropractor worked on his lower back for several weeks for the other problem he was having -- and in doing so, the pain from his hamstring went away! It has in the years since cropped back up occasionally, but whenever it does, a few visits to the chiropractor makes it go away again. I don't know if that will work for you, but as much as it sounds like you're suffering, it's worth a try if you haven't yet.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Good luck![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra [/COLOR]

I understand what you're going through, I've had connective tissue problems all my life and I'm at an increased risk for tendon related injuries. About a year and a half ago I had a partial tear of my posterior tibialis tendon from running and it took a very, very long time to heal. I still feel pain if I work out very hard or if I start working out after an extended break. The tendons heal very slowly because they don't get a lot of blood flow in that area. You have to be very patient. Sometimes when I worked out I felt fine during the exercise and hours afterward only to feel extreme pain the morning after, which made it very difficult to gauage my efforts.

I switched to cycling to ease the stress off my joints but I developed knee problems due to poor fit. After I got fit things were much better and I eventually got healthy. I think cycling would be very good for you, but like anonimo said you need to make sure you get fit properly for your bike.

I tried physical therapy and in my opinion it helped a lot. They were so nice to me and I felt stronger and stronger after each session. I would keep going if I were you if your insurance covers it, and make sure you do the take home exercises they give you and be consistent with the workouts, don't spend too much time off or you'll have to start all over again.

Have you heard of platelet rich plasma? It's a treatment that's currently in development so it may or may not be covered by your insurance. I haven't tried it myself but if you're still in a lot of pain it won't hurt to ask your doctor about it.

Originally Posted by acapulco4ever .

hey guys has anyone on this great forum ever experienced with any kind of tendonitis/tendinosis issues? I've been struggling with this pain in my hamstring for over a year and counting I have tried it all!! RICE, steroid shots, therapy, more rest, exercises and nothing seems to help:( just wanted to know if cycling makes it worst even tho since I went from mountain bike to road cycling no more pain or soreness haven't really gone any long crazy distance tho so anyways please post anything related to this awful problem!!!

You want to know if cycling makes it worse despite the fact that you had no pain or soreness after going from an MTB to a road bike?

Compare what's different between the two bikes with regards to position. The key may be there. Shoes too... I used to find that old Time shoes used to rub me up the wrong way and I'd end up with pain in the back of the knee and lower back pain.

I'd stay away from the steroid shots, instead I'd check with some of the local good cycling teams to see if there's any good physios they could recommend. A good physio will seeming have the ability to get riders treated and back on the bike. It would seem as though there are more therapists who are keen to fatten their wallets at your expense - both physical and monetary expense.

thank you for all your replies and even tho I;m still in pain I've been able to manage 2 days a week short rides which is great after being in so great pain and I'll keep you guys informed with my progress alright!!:)

hey guys the pain is still there but I think is improving some and I did get my LBS to do a proper fit including my cleats and can tell some difference I have ridden about 100 miles so far and just muscle soreness instead of pain!!! huuuuuuh!!! it's been great and even my left knee it's not that much painful anymore and I'm planing on riding at least 3 times a week let see how it goes and maybe not the right tread but I have never ridden 35 miles in a single time but I did it I'm starting to fall in love with cycling!!!
CAR BACK!!!! haha

Reactions: SierraSlim