testing for improvement

TTer

Jun 16, 2003
What's the best protocol to use to test for training improvements during a rest week every 4 weeks?

Ric is your MAP protocol suitable for testing to see where improvements have occurred in the last training period?

I was wondering if the Monod-CP protocol (from the wattage forum) is the best test with 3- and 12-minute TTs from which improvements in aerobic and anaerobic systems can be estimated. That way I could see if improvements were coming in TT ability, or higher non-maintainable (ie. anaerobic) power ability.

Or, is testing even necessary at all if I am constantly pushing my power in TT 3 x 12-20mins intervals? If my power is gradually improving in those intervals is there anypoint wasting possible training time with the rest week and 2-3 days spent (wasted?) testing? Is all training with a power meter effectively a useful 'test'?

As I pointed out in a previous thread, I've had a lot of success doing simple 30min TT's on a turbo. I know a test of this nature doesn't fully answer your questions regarding anerobic versus TT improvements, but as a (pretty much dedicated) time trialler I've found it tells me exactly what I need to know. From a large database of my own TT's and training sessions I am able to accurately relate these tests to predicted performances in different duration TT's, and I can also use the data to plan interval sessions that are achievable (e.g. I know I can complete 3 * 5min intervals at 115% of my recent 30min test power without causing excessive fatigue), and I know that a 1hr TT will be at about 95-97% of the test power.
I have found very little change in the relative differences between power at 5mins and power at 60mins (i.e. the slope of my 'power-duration' curve). This may be a result of very little training with intervals of less than 5mins though.

Originally posted by TTer, I responded with >>

What's the best protocol to use to test for training improvements during a rest week every 4 weeks?

>>is a rest week required every four weeks? For the majority of cyclists, who are not solely cyclists (i.e., those who have jobs, school, etc.) i don't believe such frequent rest periods are required. Part of this stems from the fact that most people with non-cycling jobs end up having unscheduled rest periods (e.g., work, family commitments, stress, etc).

Ric is your MAP protocol suitable for testing to see where improvements have occurred in the last training period?

>>i doubt i would use my protocol to test peformance gains anymore frequently than e.g., once every two months. In practice i test people with this protocol 3 to 4 times a year.

I was wondering if the Monod-CP protocol (from the wattage forum) is the best test with 3- and 12-minute TTs from which improvements in aerobic and anaerobic systems can be estimated. That way I could see if improvements were coming in TT ability, or higher non-maintainable (ie. anaerobic) power ability.

>>I personally don't use this, although i have previously done some work in this area

Or, is testing even necessary at all if I am constantly pushing my power in TT 3 x 12-20mins intervals?

>>this really gets to crux of the matter. I think some testing is necessary (i.e., 3 to 4 x's/yr) but with such intervals and a power meter you can see whether you're improving (or not).

>>also, on a regular(ish) basis i find that doing an informal test on a hill is quite good

Is all training with a power meter effectively a useful 'test'?

>>pretty much. But, it's also important to not aim for a power PB every ride -- you'd be shattered very quickly!

Ric