Thank You For Replys to "Best Steel Bike"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I want to thank everyone who responded to my query about the 'best steel bike' - You've given me a
    liberal education about 'steel' that I did not know.

    Even though 73, I've only been a serious road biker the last three years and still have a
    lot to learn.

    300 Navigator (comfort bike) about four years ago, and up to the old Diamond Back "Welded Carbon
    Fiber' frame with Dura Ace components three years ago. And after reading the web pages and your
    comments, I think what I am really wanting a good 'century bike' that performs well in the
    mountains too.

    Thanks again to all of you for your comments and recommendations. I now have a lot of good leads to
    pursue. This is a neat news group.

    Tom

  2. On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:03:40 +0000, Tom wrote:

    > And after reading the web pages and your comments, I think what I am really wanting a good
    > 'century bike' that performs well in the mountains too.

    You might want to consider the kind of set-up Sheldon Brown offers specifically for this kind
    of riding:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/habanero.html

    I have one of these frames, and love it. Mine has different components, but Sheldon's selections are
    quite reasonable (well, not all of us like Brooks saddles, but that is another discussion).

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
    knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
    charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

  3. Rkoreis

    Rkoreis Guest

    Used to think my Regal was a wonderful saddle until I got a B-17. The brooks is definitely worth the
    weight penalty. Or, you could get one with Ti rails and pay a wallet penalty.

    I'm baffled. What is it you don't like about Brooks saddles?

    Bob Koreis

    > I have one of these frames, and love it. Mine has different components, but Sheldon's selections
    > are quite reasonable (well, not all of us like Brooks saddles, but that is another discussion).
    >
    > --
    >
    > David L. Johnson
    >
    > __o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
    > knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have
    > not charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

  4. Precious Pup

    Precious Pup Guest

    rkoreis wrote:

    > I'm baffled. What is it you don't like about Brooks saddles?

    They are uncomfortable and weigh more than stone. Just buy a racing seat, be light, be comfortable.

  5. Rkoreis

    Rkoreis Guest

    Racing seat and comfortable go together like Department of Homeland Security and Civil Rights. As it
    is, most of us would do better to drop a bit of weight off our midsection.

    Bob Koreis

  6. On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:19:29 +0000, rkoreis wrote:

    > I'm baffled. What is it you don't like about Brooks saddles?

    Hey, each person has to find the saddle that works. In my case, I tried a Brooks Pro for 6 months. I
    was told, over and over, that it would eventually become the most comfortable saddle imaginable. For
    me, all I could imagine was Sheldon Brown's "Real Man" saddle, 30 years before its invention (gee,
    do I get to sue Sheldon?).

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
    typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
    collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

  7. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Re: Brooks saddles. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to saddles.

    I've had good results with Brooks saddles (both B.17 and Pro) for many years, although I will
    acknowledge that they are not stable over time. I find they eventually become uncomfortable, when
    the leather has sagged enough to feel the rear frame through the leather. Even tightening the nose
    bolt eventually cannot solve this. IME the Pro never really softens very much; the B.17 does soften
    quite a bit.

    So, some of my bikes have Brooks saddles, a couple have Lepper Voyageurs and a couple have
    Avocet O2 40M's.