Thankfully, crash did NOT decide the tour

Velojim

Guest
Sorry to see Jan crash but it certainly did not decide the tour. The warm weather was to Jan's
advantage all tour - today's rain was to everyone's disadvantage for sure. I knew he'd do it! Good
for the USA! We'd never see this attention to the tour in the US if not for LA.

Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "velojim" <[email protected]> wrote in news:YiOdnUBgT9tbB7- [email protected]:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Good for the USA! We'd never see this attention to the tour in the US if not for LA.
>
> That's the most candid *and* most pathetic statement I've heard in quite some time.

well, it's not really pathetic, it's just true. cycling is a very traditional european sport. you
dont see hardly any blacks/orientals/middle-easterners at all. american's have just never shown that
much interest in the sport either, despite european heritage (though that is not so true anymore !
soon blacks and hispanics may outnumber the number of americans of european origin.). but the whole
drama of lance and cancer and trying to tie the record has grapped peoples attention. its good for
the sport here in the u.s. hopefully the interest will last.

[email protected] (tomatohead) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> "velojim" <[email protected]> wrote in news:YiOdnUBgT9tbB7- [email protected]:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > Good for the USA! We'd never see this attention to the tour in the US if not for LA.
>>
>> That's the most candid *and* most pathetic statement I've heard in quite some time.
>
> well, it's not really pathetic, it's just true. cycling is a very traditional european sport. you
> dont see hardly any blacks/orientals/middle-easterners at all. american's have just never shown
> that much interest in the sport either, despite european heritage (though that is not so true
> anymore ! soon blacks and hispanics may outnumber the number of americans of european origin.).
> but the whole drama of lance and cancer and trying to tie the record has grapped peoples
> attention. its good for the sport here in the u.s. hopefully the interest will last.
>
>> - Boyd S.

I stand by my original statement. Its pathetic when people follow a given sport only when someone of
their own nationality happens to be dominating.

- Boyd S. fan of cycling and cyclists including but not limited to LA

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I stand by my original statement. Its pathetic when people follow a given sport only when someone
> of their own nationality happens to be dominating.
>
> - Boyd S. fan of cycling and cyclists including but not limited to LA

How will Buccaneer attendance increase this year? How does it compare to the Devil Rays?

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> I stand by my original statement. Its pathetic when people follow a given sport only when someone
>> of their own nationality happens to be dominating.
>>
>> - Boyd S. fan of cycling and cyclists including but not limited to LA
>
> How will Buccaneer attendance increase this year? How does it compare to the Devil Rays?

Am I missing something? WTF do Bucs and Rays attendence have to do with the TDF? Neither of these
teams compete against foreign teams, so that comparison is shot down. Also, if you are trying to
make a point about band-wagon-jumping, you're singing to the choir.

- Boyd S.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]>
> >> I stand by my original statement. Its pathetic when people follow a given sport only when
> >> someone of their own nationality happens to be dominating.
> >>
> >> - Boyd S. fan of cycling and cyclists including but not limited to LA
> >
> > How will Buccaneer attendance increase this year? How does it compare to the Devil Rays?
>
> Am I missing something? WTF do Bucs and Rays attendence have to do with the TDF? Neither of these
> teams compete against foreign teams, so that comparison
is
> shot down.

But yet the trend exists.

> Also, if you are trying to make a point about band-wagon-jumping, you're singing to the choir.
>
> - Boyd S.

Just trying to point out that nationality is not the motivating factor, it's human nature.